Close
Login to Your Account
Page 181 of 216 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

small point...actually a big one.

the numbers are WITH social distancing measures.

i shudder to think what it could look like.

2. Likes Milland, Bobw, tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    The more one knows about the position of an event, The less information is reliable about it's velocity.

Fundamental.
    You mean Mr. Heisenberg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It seems like only yesterday

SmartNews Keeping you current

Officials Pinpoint First COVID-19 Case in United States

The mostly mysterious pathogen is known to pass from person to person, causing respiratory illness

Coronaviruses, like the newly identified Wuhan coronavirus, are so named for their halo- or crown-like appearance. (Public Domain) By Katherine J. Wu
    smithsonianmag.com
    January 22, 2020

A mysterious respiratory virus that has infected hundreds in China has now officially made landfall in the United States, bringing the total number of countries afflicted by the newly described Wuhan coronavirus up to at least six.

For now, the Center for Disease Control has declared the immediate health risk the virus poses to the American public to be low. The infected patient, a man from Washington state who recently returned home from a trip to Wuhan, China, began experiencing symptoms last week, and was quickly hospitalized. He remains in isolation at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Washington, reports Merrit Kennedy for NPR.
    The outbreak began in the city of Wuhan, a bustling hub home to about 11 million. Chinese officials announced they would be shutting down transportation in and out of city beginning Thursday, report Amy Qin and Vivian Wang for the New York Times. But the virus’ spread to the United States—a cross-continental spillover that also occurred with SARS, another form of coronavirus, in 2003—has sparked concern from officials around the world.

or forever ago

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The man from Seattle was 55, IIRC. He was in critical condition and on a ventilator. They gave him Remdesivir, he recovered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    The man from Seattle was 55, IIRC. He was in critical condition and on a ventilator. They gave him Remdesivir, he recovered.
    What a burden he must be living with.

Country
    CAYMAN ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually Cal I think youll find the first COVID-19 was found on the new £20. Experts say that it passes easily from person to person but theyre trying to put a stop to that.

8. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    What a burden he must be living with.

it is not like he is the one that pushed the button on enola gay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Actually Cal I think youll find the first COVID-19 was found on the new £20. Experts say that it passes easily from person to person but theyre trying to put a stop to that.
    I used the drive up at the bank last week. Vacuum tubes and speakers They get a camera ;-)
    I got a fair amount of cash back from the deposit. $2k or so. When I opened the envelope to check the count, It smelled funny ;-)

This whole thing sounds like NWO "cashless society" kind of stuff. ;-) I worry about banks though. Last time I closed out an account, there were hoops to jump to get $30K in cash. They only wanted to transfer to another account.

11. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    it is not like he is the one that pushed the button on enola gay

There is always someone who has suffered more. Always

13. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i stop by every few days to take the temp on this one
    glad to see we have moved on from saying lets let a few old fuckers die if it lets me open my shop back up

15. Likes tim9lives, Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    You mean Mr. Heisenberg?
    I thought he meant Laozi

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    Tragically, the USA covid 19 infection trajectory is outstanding for the wrong reasons. The USA is the only country tracking between cases doubling every 2 and 3 days. At this rate, the infections are expected to reach a million by Monday. This is undoubtedly the worst public health disaster in the USA over the last 100 years.

The graphic is too small to read but it shows the USA infections have reached 368k cases at the time of writing.
    untitled.jpg

You can see the latest update to the world Covid 19 infection trajectories at this link.

In Australia a man was fined $A1000 for eating a kebab on a bench.

In New Zealand the Health Minister was demoted after driving 20km to a beach, breaking covid 19 lockdown rules

In Athens, the owners of two businesses that flouted restrictions imposed by the government to contain the spread of the new coronavirus were each fined 300 euros and convicted to a year in prison.

In South Africa, two men are facing attempted murder charges for failing to isolate themselves.

I can't help wondering what criminal charges are going to be laid against those responsible for the appalling illness and deaths suffered in the USA. The USA is a stable democracy with the best plan, the most advanced technology, the most resources and most importantly, the most warning that covid 19 was coming. The USA response has easily been the worst of any 1st world, and most 3rd world countries. If that is a 10 out of 10 response, lucky it wasn't worse.

Dazz

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: EG and Laozi and Heisenberg

Still time to get the Laozi Boy recliner franchise in China? The motto: won't be moving fast, so you'll always know your position in life.

I always wanted (just for a second) to have a specialty furniture store called The Ottoman Empire.

More seriously, is this a Peking>Beijing thing? College days it was Lao-Tse. That guy said something to the effect that a leader is best when we barely know he exists and yet the job is done. I'm thinking that probably rules out self-serving narcissists?

19. Likes Milland, iwananew10K, tim9lives, MrWhoopee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    More seriously, is this a Peking>Beijing thing?
    Yes. Sound is the same. Characters the same, just the way to write it in letters is a different system.

Wade-Giles kinda sucks.

Correction, it really sucks You know there was never any Peking, it was always supposed to be pronounced Beijing, even in Wade-Giles, but no one in the real world understood their goofball way of writing the sounds ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Real bummer that both China and India are making us throw away old textbooks and atlases . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dazz View Post

I can't help wondering what criminal charges are going to be laid against those responsible for the appalling illness and deaths suffered in the USA. The USA is a stable democracy with the best plan, the most advanced technology, the most resources and most importantly, the most warning that covid 19 was coming. The USA response has easily been the worst of any 1st world, and most 3rd world countries. If that is a 10 out of 10 response, lucky it wasn't worse.

Dazz
    I'm just wondering if we could arrange a swap of leaders. I offer djt and $US1T in gold bullion for Jacinda. Deal?

Covid 19 coronavirus: Washington Post - 'New Zealand isn't just flattening the curve, it's squashing it' - NZ Herald

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I'm just wondering if we could arrange a swap of leaders. I offer djt and $US1T in gold bullion for Jacinda. Deal?

Covid 19 coronavirus: Washington Post - 'New Zealand isn't just flattening the curve, it's squashing it' - NZ Herald
    Good read.

Today our leader decided that it's not the Liberals, Chinese, Europeans, or Governors who are to blame while he's been doing a 10/10 greatest leadership job in history -- it's the World Health Organization.

Meanwhile we're borrowing $2 trillion to get the economy back on track - more than in the Great Recession. A tiny bit, maybe 20%, is $1200 checks to around 150 million taxpayers. The rest is earmarked for business. So who's going to see we spend that wisely? And the $2 trillion supposed to follow it? And the $8 billion the Economist thinks we're going to borrow before we stop sending out checks? Makes billions lost in Iraq seem like rounding errors.

Just to put a point on this, while we may get $1200 checks, could easily be $10,000 in debt that's taken out in our names. Want to wager if a whole bunch of that isn't going to come back to anyone not wealthy enough to pull strings in politics? Don't thank anyone for the $1200. Ask what's happening with the other $8800.

Having seen the Inspector General who followed protocol in the Ukraine fired, and the Navy carrier Captain fired for inadvertently making Trump look bad by trying to protect his men and return his carrier to battle readiness -- now the guy who was supposed to see we didn't have too many of those trillions wasted (and qualified to do the job, selected by other Inspector Generals) has been shoved aside.

Trump apparently wants his very own guy so he can hand out patronage, maybe just not embarrass him when a bunch of the money earmarked for real estate businesses ends up in Kusher and Trump hands?

Seems we're re-running The Apprentice every day. Someone else fired who just did or might do their job. Pretty soon won't be a messenger left to tell the nation the truth, least if it's bad news.

Isn't that special?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Good read.

Today our leader decided that it's not the Liberals, Chinese, Europeans, or Governors who are to blame while he's been doing a 10/10 great job, it's the World Health Organization.

Meanwhile we're borrowing $2 trillion to get the economy back on track - more than in the Great Recession. A tiny bit, maybe 20%, is $1200 checks to around 150 million taxpayers. The rest is earmarked for business. So who's going to see we spend that wisely? And the $2 trillion supposed to follow it? And the $8 billion the Economist thinks we're going to borrow before we stop sending out checks? Makes billions lost in Iraq seem like rounding errors.

Having seen the Inspector General who followed protocol in the Ukraine fired, and the Navy carrier Captain fired for inadvertently making Trump look bad, now the guy who was supposed to see we didn't waste too much of those trillions wasted (and qualified to do the job) has been fired. Trump apparently his very own guy so he could hand out patronage.

Isn't that special?
    What I wonder where all that "loaned" money is coming from? Rest of the world is in same shitstorm economy-wise loaning money from "somewhere"
    You loan from Europe and we loan from US?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    What I wonder where all that "loaned" money is coming from? Rest of the world is in same shitstorm economy-wise loaning money from "somewhere"
    You loan from Europe and we loan from US?

A lot of it comes from selling US government obligations to anyone who will buy them. Some to ourselves, others to the Chinese, Saudis, wealthy anywhere seeking to hedge their bets. Far as I can tell that's how we've been running a trillion dollar deficit per year each year under Trump. While the US has all sorts of debt problems (to the climate, failure to maintain infrastructure, etc.) we're still the best alternative many have. In addition much of the rest of the world had been paying 0% or even negative interest while we were (once) up to 1% or so.

Seems to me that will change. Others are pissed at our abuse of the dollar. Interest rates will rise, with crushing debt. Our own economy has been hollowed out by so much of it dedicated to playing financial games and skimming off various cash flow than real manufacturing, value-added services etc. FWIW, our national and state debts are now at or higher than after WWII.

After WWII we educated returning GI's had the world's only manufacturing powerhouse not bombed out of existence. We built Interstate Highways, grew out suburbs, built new factories, and pioneered in autos, aerospace, communications, electronics, and computers. We saw at least three decades of solid growth in real industries.

After pissing away more trillions (all avoidable IMO) in a boom and bust every ten years, the Iraq war, the 2008 great recession, and the Trump years we don't have much beyond bitter partisanship, scapegoating, and hidden money buying political favor to show for it. Crappy infrastructure. Lousy healthcare. Manufacturing heading into recession just this summer. Alliances, trade, and supply chains in tatters. Our mishandling of this pandemic -- which really shouldn't be all that hard -- is just the "!" at the end of decades of greed-fueled screwing up IMO.

An issue for the Euro Union is that it has debt limits. It's difficult legally to borrow money and even harder to get countries like Germany to agree to send more money to Greece, Italy, Spain, etc. Don't think you'll have it easier, sorry to say.

Just as a local group tried to get a handle on this pandemic a month ago (we scheduled two experts in the field to speak five and three weeks ago), next month I'm going to try to get some economists to talk to us. May have better answers later. There are some who think debt doesn't matter. Far as I can tell, though, that notion rests on lots of mutual trust -- something we're in short supply of at the moment.

The big question, at least for me, is what happens when all these debts start coming due over the next decade or two?

With an economy slowed down, kids with college debt, infrastructure crumbling, PISA scores in the bottom among OECD countries, interest costs squeezing out even Social Security, pension obligations unmet, the costs of ignored climate change measured in a trillion a year (storms, wildfires, drought, crop failures, climate-related Pentagon problems, lack of trust in institutions, government shrunk down to the size of a baby and drowned in lies -- what happens?

Far as I can tell the options are to essentially go bankrupt and default on various obligations OR do the old tricks of inflation and quantitative easing to steal a little money from everyone (usually making the middle class smaller and the .1% of financail types richer) OR ???

My guess is that our kids and grandkids will have far fewer assets left to deal with far greater problems unless we get our rears in gear.

26. Likes janvanruth, tim9lives, MrWhoopee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PBS program: Frontline - China Undercover

A special undercover report from China's secretive Xinjiang region. Investigating the Communist regime's mass imprisonment of Muslims, and its use and testing of sophisticated surveillance technology against the population.

7am EST (Wed 08, 2020)

Why is this program being aired now? I know why. As if it was already prepared.
    The program content has been reported in the Epoch Times for years.

DavidR8 and Atomarc, don't be late for political re-education class. Breakfast is rice and a little rat meat. LOL
    Last edited by rons; 04-08-2020 at 04:35 AM.

28. Likes tim9lives liked this post