Corona virus affecting your business ? Over reaction? - Page 20
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 20 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was price gouging right on Amazon prime you don’t need to go to TN.

I was prepping a month ago and laying in some things.
    I went back to Amazon to order another small case lot I had paid $24 for and the price was now $80
    Prime was out- the gouge was with “other sellers”.

Country
    CAYMAN ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Scary stuff. I hope he's not been visiting older relatives.
    Its around two weeks before symptoms appear isnt it, but infectious from the getgo? The restaurant is part of a complex, lots of older folks hang out there. He said general public arnt taking it serious, going out - pubs etc. Time will tell I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    He claims to have gotten death threats and he and his family left their home. I figured he made his bed, now he can lie in it. I feel sorry for his family, other than his brother who was in on the scheme.
    Human beings are weird. We look at this guy with disgust and take him to court, but a Shkreli is allowed to carry on for years until he makes HIS price gouging impossible to ignore. And then there's the large banks and credit card companies, where they can up interest rates at their leisure to 20-30%, and nobody says "Boo".

Basically, small scale corruption we can understand and get outraged about, but the "To Big to Indict" banksters are invulnerable.

Goddamn, I wish Warren had made a better showing of it in the campaign.

4. Likes Demon73, vanguard machine, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    There was price gouging right on Amazon prime you don’t need to go to TN.

I was prepping a month ago and laying in some things.
    I went back to Amazon to order another small case lot I had paid $24 for and the price was now $80
    Prime was out- the gouge was with “other sellers”.
    That is where the guy was selling, both Amazon and E-bay, but they shut him down. I wonder what Amazon considers the threshold for price gouging?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is where the guy was selling, both Amazon and E-bay, but they shut him down. I wonder what Amazon considers the threshold for price gouging?
    Gonna bet it's the same guideline the government uses: Depends on their cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we're doomed.. and not bc this virus is going to wipe out humanity. we don't need any help sadly
    ughhhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Do the math

In the medical lecture I gave this morning (in an empty lecture hall but on-line) I presented an impressive example of exponential growth. Clostridium perfringens, the agent of gas gangrene can double every eight minutes under ideal conditions. It’s the fastest replicating pathogen I know. If you start with a single bacterium that weighs 0.000000000001 grams and could allow replication to continue at that rate, the mass of the bacterial population will exceed the mass of the known universe in less than 30 hours. Not really gonna happen ‘cause they run out of things to eat, etc., but has implications for the rate at which gas gangrene progresses. The spread of SARS-CoV-2 (formal name of the current corona virus that causes the decease formally known as COVID-19) is also an exponential process. How fast is it likely to go?

Even through the number of confirmed cases is doubling about every 2 days in the US, this rate is an artifact of testing. The best data from China indicates that the time between when an individual is infected and the time they can infect someone else is actually about 6 days on average. The other important number is the number of new individuals infected by each infected person. Assume this number is 2. Current data indicate that it is higher (about 2.4 in the absence of strong measures to reduce transmission) but we’ll stick with 2. The number of confirmed cases in the US this morning is about 4,000. Ten generations of transmission will give an increase of about 1,000-fold and would take about 60 days. That gives 4,000,000 cases in two months. However, the 4,000 current confirmed cases is probably no more than 20% of the actual number. Taking this into account, the 4,000,000 number will be reached a little more than two generations earlier, so take off another 12 days and we get there in seven weeks. Anything that can be done to decrease transmission will slow this down. If the number of new infections/infected individual can be brought below 1, the population of infected will decline exponentially. This may not be possible in the absence of herd immunity, but let’s hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Its around two weeks before symptoms appear isnt it, but infectious from the getgo? The restaurant is part of a complex, lots of older folks hang out there. He said general public arnt taking it serious, going out - pubs etc. Time will tell I guess.
    There is a roadside diner I pass during day light hours once every couple weeks, it is about the size of a Denny's and it's parking lot is always packed. I assume it is probably a hangout for an older locals crowd considering the location. I drove by there at noon this past Friday. There may have been 3 cars in the parking lot when there normally is probably 50-100. It could be the older crowd is being more cautious than the younger ones. Most places I pass that older people hang out seem to have less crowds than normal. The local American Legion was also empty the last couple times I drove by.

10. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    snip....Uh, your Dear Leader only claimed "one million", now it's a billion?.../snip
    Hopefully you hold Sleepy (or Creepy?) Joe to the same standard.

Did you know that gun violence killed 150 million people in the US since 2007? That's about half our population.

Joe Biden’s ‘150 million gun deaths’ Democratic debate error didn’t happen in a vacuum

Or that he was going to put 720 million women back in the work force? Almost double our population of men, women, and children.

Biden vows tax credit will put '''720 million women''' back in workforce | Fox News

Stand up Chuck!

This is what the left is offering. Either a doddering, demented old white dude, or another old raging white dude that went from persecuting millionaires (until he became one) to persecuting billionaires.

ETA: And yes, the beer virus has affected me. Currently collecting PTO, can't work my regular job, nothing better to do than shitposting.

12. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    Go find someone else to play with, Junior.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finland just pulled full halt and martial law is going to be instated tomorrow.
    Daycares remain open for those families that don’t have possibility to organize it at home or otherwise. Meetings of over 10 people are forbidden, borders closing and anyone over 70 is placed in partial quarantine.
    Martial law also makes it possible to call in healthcare workers for extra overtime and to cancel all non-critical operations.

This is as close as going to war as we have been since WW2

15. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post

Did you know that gun violence killed 150 million people in the US since 2007? That's about half our population.

Joe Biden’s ‘150 million gun deaths’ Democratic debate error didn’t happen in a vacuum
    It does seem there is a huge amount of blatant misinformation spread by the media and politicians about guns and ballistics. I think it was on an episode of Chicago Fire a couple years ago, the fireman were inside a burning apartment all of a sudden gunfire starts ringing out and one of the fireman goes down. The scene shows evidence of bullets hitting things all over the place. It is discovered that the shooter is small arms ammunition stored in a closet set off by the fire. How they could put crap like that on TV and make it like it could actually happen is beyond me. A person could probably spit a bullet further and at a higher velocity than one in a box tossed in a fire.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Most places are semi-normal now. Wuhan is the exception.

Not entirely normal but a reasonable facsimile thereof.

My contact says the 2 shops their using are around Shenzen, to the best of your knowledge is Shenzen getting back to semi-normal?

The customers Engineering manager is saying no jobs can go to small shops (me among others) what happens if they catch coronavirus and miss the delivery date? Which in reality is something to consider right now.

I'm getting all my material orders in now so I hope to avoid any material suppliers shutting down will-call and deliveries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdgoguen View Post

Even through the number of confirmed cases is doubling about every 2 days in the US,
    I'm wondering what you comments on this: It strikes me that a key component of estimating the replication rate, or the mortality rate is have a good sense the total numbers who have or have had it. Really, though we don't know how many have had it, we only know how many have been tested. For example, if the denominator used in the mortality rate calculation is say 150,000, how do we have any confidence that the # tested = the # number you've had it. Maybe there;s 1,500,000 who got, suffered minor symptoms, never got tested and got better. If I had it, and it was no more severe than the flu, I wouldn't go to the hospital (The last place I'd want to be right now) or likely get tested unless it started to scare me, severe shortage of breath etc.

Presumably there's a good answer to this, but none of the major credible sources (CDC, WHO, Health Canada) are addressing it that I've seen

19. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Daycares remain open for those families that don’t have possibility to organize it at home or otherwise. Meetings of over 10 people are forbidden, borders closing and anyone over 70 is placed in partial quarantine.
    Martial law also makes it possible to call in healthcare workers for extra overtime and to cancel all non-critical operations.

scary shit indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What you need are a few trillion tiny Simos to hunt down the individual viruses...

22. Likes MattiJ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    My contact says the 2 shops their using are around Shenzen, to the best of your knowledge is Shenzen getting back to semi-normal?
    I have not been there but the figures show only a few people in Guangdong Province with the virus and everyone else I know of - Jiangsu, Shandong, Shanghai, Chongqing, Zhejiang, are already back working. Reduced workforce in some cases but working. It was sunny on Sunday, the streets were sort of crowded.

So I would expect so.

24. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a roadside diner I pass during day light hours once every couple weeks, it is about the size of a Denny's and it's parking lot is always packed. I assume it is probably a hangout for an older locals crowd considering the location. I drove by there at noon this past Friday. There may have been 3 cars in the parking lot when there normally is probably 50-100. It could be the older crowd is being more cautious than the younger ones. Most places I pass that older people hang out seem to have less crowds than normal. The local American Legion was also empty the last couple times I drove by.
    All last week it was kind of a ghost town around here, it was like Sunday morning all week long in town.

Then on Saturday, it was like the first school day off before Thanksgiving, or X-mas vacation. Tons and tons of cars
    heading north. Had to wait for a pump at the gas station, no place to park. All the university kids heading back to ABQ, and there were actually quite a lot of boats and jet skis heading to the lake. Little early in the year for that, but its probably safer than sitting in a movie theater.

Though I did finally convince my better half to cut my hair, I really needed a hair cut, and she doesn't want me going anywhere that I don't *have* to go. She did a pretty good job for her first hair cut, though we did have a "Moment". Hair cut is all done, and approved, but she still had to take care of the stragglers on my neck. So I'm standing on the front porch, I'm in nothing but my underwear, drinking a 16oz Bud Light, while she is trying to figure out where neck hair turns into back hair so she knows where to stop shaving.. And then she stops and looks at me and says.. "Oh My God!! We're trailer trash".. I'm still laughing about that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    "Oh My God!! We're trailer trash".. I'm still laughing about that.
    I've had a few people come into the shop and see the Fadals and have that yea he's trailer trash look.

Next time somebody does that I'm going to sneeze on my hand and insist we shake hands.

I just realized that's an ideal way to get rid of Jehoviahs Witnesses. Sneeze behind the door, come out with an outstretched had covered in snot. Might work on Republicans as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This seems to be what many nations are doing. The question every citizen should ask is whether the primary motive is protection of the public or control of the public by increasing government power and it's frequency of use.

It has long been known that war motivates a population and allows impositions that otherwise wouldn't be tolerated, while at the same time encouraging self-sacrifice from the citizens. It is likely that there will be future non-war "emergencies" if martial law can be imposed with little protest afterward. A few years ago in Massachusetts there was an unprecedented display of paramilitary force during a search for the Marathon Bombing suspect. Millions of people were told to "shelter in place" while heavily armed SWAT teams backed by armored vehicles went door-to-door, entering houses without search warrants and in many cases forcibly removing entire families in their pajamas. When they eventually discovered the suspect hiding in a stored boat they fired thousands of rounds, many of them hitting nearby houses. When he finally surrendered they discovered he was wounded and completely unarmed. Shortly afterwards a group of idiots cheered them in the streets as they departed but later as more facts became known there were serious protests raised. The assault was unprecedented in that nothing similar had ever been done even in the case of groups of escaped convicts, heavily armed bank robbers, and other serious threats.

In the same manner, unprecedented measures are being taken against this virus whereas previous outbreaks of very dangerous diseases were fought without the serious infringements of individual liberty we are seeing now.