2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Canada is closing it's borders now to US "non essential" travel.

Oh well, guess our American friends can do without cheap cross border shopping for a while.

One Green back buys almost 1.5 Canadian Pesos this morning...

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    Emmanuel, I would suggest that the methods used were (just a second ....) Ok, I'm back. I had to look up Draconian. Pertains to Draco, an Athenian lawyer
    Interesting, thank you. I thought it had to do with dragons. Too much time in dragonland maybe

Believe or not as you like, I can't change preconceived notions but I am human and actually live in China, have lived in several cities, and g-coder05 will confirm what I say. I am not Tweeter or Faceblob.

All the buildings here have gate guards. They are like rentacops without the attitude. They might like donuts tho, never tried to lure one out of his little house with a glazed sugar. Mostly they stand around and gossip and smoke. It's a retirement job, kind of.

We also have the small foot police, which are gossiping old ladies. They are called that because a long time ago (Mao stopped the practice) they had bound feet.

And last but not least, we have the police police (except there are about fifty different kinds, and the traffic ones won't do the crime ones' job and the subway ones wouldn't walk across the aisle to put a fire out, that's the fire police job) and they don't have guns and they don't weigh two hundred pounds and I've never seen one with a shaved head or tattoos. Plus they put up with an amount of crap that would astonish anyone from the US. Literally. I have seen so many occasions when I just shook my head thinking "In the US that lady would be on her face on the concrete with three pair of handcuffs, ready to be visiously thrown into a cop car."

And once in a while you see a pimplefaced fifteen year old in an army uniform walking around with some kind of weapon. God I hope it isn't loaded becasue they have no idea ... . I did see a bunch of normal-loooking guys in uniforms the other day, but they were getting into cars to go eat lunch. There's some kind of army office down the street.

This is our ruthless suppression force.

We heard about Wuhan early in January. I don't do teevee ever since The Prisoner ended (still trying to figure out the last show, anyone got any ideas ?) so I got it verbally. Spring Festival was January 24.

Went to the village (4 million people) mid-January, people were starting to stay inside. I took maybe fifty photos, there's not a single policeman in any of them. I would be happy to send you for verification. Not too many people walking around either, I could get some good shots.

The news was ramping up, people were getting a bit antsy, immediately after Spring Festival I returned to Shanghai. Temperature checks at the bus station but nothing really annoying.

A couple times on the way back they stopped the bus, we all got off and paraded past the handheld thermometers. Got our ID checked to see where we belonged. I guess they were starting to squeeze down on intra-city travel. These were policemen. Polite. Put up with my lack of proof of living in Shang, no one on the bus manhandled. Maybe if someone had had a temperature they'd have shot him on the spot but evidence does not support that conclusion.

That might they stopped intra-city public transport altogether.

No force, no guns, no army.

By this time the people were getting concerned and starting to insist on masks and stay-home. Kinda pushed me out of joint because masks don't keep you safe. Then I had an epiphany - they DO help keep others from infecting you, so worthwhile. They used psychology to get the behavior they wanted, clever

There was a week or so of unsettledness, public places were doing thermometer checks and they started requiring masks and ID signin but nothing too annoying. Places were very apologetic but explained that "because of the virus we need to do this." No prob.

We thought that things would return to normal as people came back from new years. The ninth would have been the first day of work.

Ha. Fooled us. On the ninth I saw (I walked all over because this was interesting and what do I have to lose ? old fart croaks, who cares ?) several groups - maybe four or five cops each - of upper-level policemen (you can tell by the uniform and nicer hats) going door to door and having a short talk with business owners, after which the business closed the door and sometimes put up a sign.

Let me mention this again - policemen in China do not carry guns and weigh under 200 pounds and don't push people around. You can even ask directions without fear of being snarled at. They aren't assholes. Sometiems they are funny. I got in an altercation with a taxi when he tried to run over me, broke his mirror off, thousands of villagers crowded around, went off to the policceman station, me riding on the back of his motorscooter. Vicious. After three hours of arguing it was getting late and I was hungry so gave the taxi driver fifty cents for the broken mirror and called it quits. If I were Shanghainese we'd still be there, they'll fight to the death over fifty cents. This is copdom in China.

Or I could tell you about running down the train platform with granny and a six year old between us, five cops chasing shouting "stop that foreigner ! stop that foreigner !" and everyone laughing, but I won't. Damn granny almost outran me. Yeah, repressive human rights violators. Vicious.

Then they put middle-aged ladies and guys in orange vests at the gates to lane houses and subdivisions. They would get your ID and temperature and name, write it all down in a little book. Half the time I had to do my own, they had a hard time with English (shouldn't have allowed that but I didn't have covid, so no problem.)

People from some bureau or other - city government district offices ? - came around soon to give everyone a hall pass. If you needed to go outside the city, this would allow you back in. Cities did a weird (to me) thing ... you could leave freely but where you were going might not let you in. And then the place you left might not let you back either.

Most people just stayed where they were

Oh, forgot. Anyone who came back just prior to the sixth had to stay home for two weeks. And they couldn't come on the bus or train becasue no buses or trains at that time. Had to cadge a ride in a friend's car. I guess that kept the migratory workers out. I missed that because I came back earlier. Maybe a hole in their logic but didn't seem to be a problem. They did good here, 16 million people, 350 cases.

Grocery stores remained open, no lack of supplies, just had to sign in with ID and temp check and phone number.

They soon decided that peole got paid no matter what, so a lot of people who were not under quarantine went to work. The doors were shut but you could see they were inside. If you needed something they'd wave hello and tell you to go away, they were closed. Thanks. Maybe some of them worked, probably most of them played cards

A lot of stuff went onlie. Sixth graders doing their homework via wechat. Ugh, not good but whatcha gonna do ?

Pretty much everything was shut except they made sure the important functions of the city were kept alive. There were no stupid restrictions like "Everybody must stay home no matter what !" If you were not quarantined you could go to your work or walk the streets or do whatever you wanted. I got a lot of photos of emptiness.

I'd put this in caps but that looks tacky so let's repeat - almost everyone WANTED to stay home. These measures were NOT draconian. There was no army of storm troopers patrolling the streets. I HAVE PHOTOS. You won't see even ONE cop or army person or anything else enforcing anything.

It's a temptation to speculate that they did show more force in Wuhan, because it was more dangerous. But I bet you would see even fewer "draconian measures" there because in general people don't want to die.

There was no need for force. We recognized that people die from this and didn't want to join their ranks. That was plenty. The public was overwhelmingly behind this.

Yes, you can pull up "reports" from dipshits writing for the western press who found one freak being manhandled. There is going to be some nutcase anywhere in the world who is going to act irrationally. But this was NOT, repeat NOT the case in 99.99% of the cities.

In fact, my Assistant was browbeaten by her parents to NOT leave the house, even to go down the street to her friend's. They are older. They threatened to not let her back in.

Did I mention that people did not want to die ?

I really do get sick of the US press ... no matter what, they have the same old axe to grind. I guess they know what sells and they are going to fulfil that need no matter what the facts are, but I find it disgusting. Alice Su should be dropped off and gangbanged in downtown Detroit, what a deceitful lying cunt.

Sorry, too long, but all I ever hear from youse guys is this "draconian measures, human rights" crap. It's crap. Honest. I have more freedom in Commie China than the good ol' beacon of liberty US. Particularly in this case, the press is a reservoir of pigshit misinformation.

No offense, but I have to take the word of an article in Science (it is Science, a peer-reviewed journal vs Science News Journal, TodayScience, or Science Daily, wihich publish topical summary articles I believe) over what someone (even such an august personage as yourself, sir!) says on social media.
    Absolutely agree with you ! Therefore ...

But if you have a scholarly analysis, or even a data source, that shows that transmission by asymptomatic cases is NOT significant,
    I did not pull this out my ass, PLEASE watch this, start at the 6:00 minute mark if you like, the beginning is just introductions of everyone on the planet who contributed. You might recognize this guy, he's a thirty-year expert on infectious diseases for the World Health Organization. Some of the most interesting points are at the end of the video. He has made simlar statements in other places, please confirm. It's not a flash-in-the-pan conclusion, and it's backed by data (as of that moment, of course there is twice as much data because the west didn't want to believe anything from them lying commie chinks, e.g. here on PM.)

Report on Coronavirus in China

Seriously, time to re-evaluate your preconceptions, about several things.

48 minute mark, to answer your question specifically.

5. Likes Asquith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny................just "crunched" the TP numbers.................We buy the Costco 30 roll pack...................family of 6. 425 sheets per roll. 12750 sheets. Prolly use 200 sheets per day...........rounded up quite a bit, more like 160 sheets......................It takes almost 64 days to get through that pack of TP(Prolly closer to 80 days).................. Most of these idiots hoarding have enough TP for the next year or two. Morons.......................

On the food end of things...............what sucks for our family is we eat a ton of fresh produce. Empty shelves..................even the disgusting canned fruit/veggies is all gone.......................funny how there is a bunch of fresh meat still on the racks. Lotsa folks don't have freezer space to hoard it.................................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    And institutions are closing restrooms due to shortages and toilet paper theft. A society gone amuck due to fear and hysteria.

We have a reasonable supply at home but I'm already looking at other paper sources within the home for reasonably comfortable alternatives - just in case!

Brown paper shopping bags have already dropped to the bottom of the list.

I've got the last 4 McMaster catalogs, still in the mailing boxes. Virus free I'd imagine.

8. Likes Jarrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

Brown paper shopping bags have already dropped to the bottom of the list.
    I'd move those up one slot, and push the sand paper to the bottom.

10. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just go squat down over a sprinkler head. Works for my dog.

12. Likes Bobw, Tbartoletta, Scottl, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    I'd move those up one slot, and push the sand paper to the bottom.
    When I was a technician in a High School one of my jobs was to cut the large sheets of Glasspaper into smaller sheets. They all had " Glasspaper " printed on the back. If I was careful I could cut the sheets up so they read " asspaper " instead. The kids loved that, it really cracked them up.

Regards Tyrone.

14. Likes Screwmachine, Demon73, janvanruth, Bobw, MattiJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    McMaster Carr is out of commercial toilet paper (9 and 12" rolls) ...
    12" wide toilet paper ... who has an ass that size? Oh.... Never mind.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

Did the Simpson's use the good Dr. Alyward as a model for Professor Frink?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    I've got the last 4 McMaster catalogs, still in the mailing boxes. Virus free I'd imagine.
    Should have brought mine home from work. I have it proping up one of my computer monitors. A real waste of tloit paper there!
    Last edited by Jarrod; 03-18-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife isn't working, so she has plenty of time on her hands.

I'm trying to limit social contact so I can continue to stay in business and generate income, not too hard as I work on my own. There isn't a large backlog of work, maybe a week, but I can't afford to not complete the work.

We have a cleaning lady come in every other week, I told my wife I don't want any people coming into the house, either exposing us or potentially them to the virus.

I told my wife, I know **** needs the money, pay her to stay away , and she can do some free cleaning to balance up when this all said and done.

Probably shouldn't have told my wife now your not working, might be a good time to learn how to vacuum.

Covid-19 is now the least of my problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not really too worried about emergency TP. Among the substitutes could be the NRA style match targets on a newsprint type paper. Could cut em into small squares and use the non printed side. They are just sitting anyway because with gatherings banned all matches have been cancelled.

I guess shortages depend on where you live. I bought milk at a small convenience store yesterday and the cabinet was pretty full. Clerk at the dollar store talked me into buying a small bottle of hand sanitizer to keep in the car. I've seen sanitizer in hardware stores along with single rolls of TP and paper towels, along with small boxes of facial tissues.

During winter we normally keep more stuff on hand in case of illness or bad weather so we're just buying 1:1 replacements for what we use as we don't want to be part of the problem. If people would calm down they could still find what they need.

One thing that really ticks me off is all the misinformation. Somebody said CVS was closing all stores and only shipping prescriptions due to the virus. I was just in one earlier today and it turns out they are closing under-performing stores and notifying customers that their prescriptions would be shipped instead of picked up. Turns out some knucklehead got an email from one of the stores that are closing and posted the misinformation, panicking people further.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anybody talked to mortgage companies about deferring mortgage payments yet?

I've told Wells Fargo I can't pay the next 2-3 minimum payments on the WF business CC, the rep said I understand, we have a program to allow you to defer payments which I have to apply for.

Between that and deferring the mortgage, we might get thru this without defaulting on the CC or the mortgage, or both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TP weird.
    Wife went to the big brand name supermarket, no paper products at all.
    Today I go to the local small mom and pop store to get a Faygo red pop.
    I look at the shelf behind me and it is full of TP, a guess at way over 400 rolls.
    I ask the gal at the register. She says no one is buying it and that they have more in the backroom.
    I told her that they should put a sign out front "We have Toilet Paper". Perfect way to draw in customers who then buy other stuff.
    Bob

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    TP weird.
    I look at the shelf behind me and it is full of TP, a guess at way over 400 rolls.
    I ask the gal at the register. She says no one is buying it and that they have more in the backroom.
    I told her that they should put a sign out front "We have Toilet Paper". Perfect way to draw in customers who then buy other stuff.
    Bob
    Maybe it was used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    TP weird.
    Bob
    Shhhh! You're giving away our secrets. I know all the little places to get things in an emergency. The big mega-markets are the hands down worst places to go and while you pay more at the mom and pop because they can't obtain volume pricing they often have things out of stock elsewhere. Limited brands but at least you get the stuff. Local convenience store was bought a couple years ago by a family from India. They've made some clever changes and get a lot of local walk-ins and people stopping in while running other errands. Very nice people and they keep a clean well ordered store.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting, thank you. I thought it had to do with dragons. Too much time in dragonland maybe

Believe or not as you like, I can't change preconceived notions but I am human and actually live in China, have lived in several cities, and g-coder05 will confirm what I say. I am not Tweeter or Faceblob.

All the buildings here have gate guards. They are like rentacops without the attitude. They might like donuts tho, never tried to lure one out of his little house with a glazed sugar. Mostly they stand around and gossip and smoke. It's a retirement job, kind of.

We also have the small foot police, which are gossiping old ladies. They are called that because a long time ago (Mao stopped the practice) they had bound feet.

And last but not least, we have the police police (except there are about fifty different kinds, and the traffic ones won't do the crime ones' job and the subway ones wouldn't walk across the aisle to put a fire out, that's the fire police job) and they don't have guns and they don't weigh two hundred pounds and I've never seen one with a shaved head or tattoos. Plus they put up with an amount of crap that would astonish anyone from the US. Literally. I have seen so many occasions when I just shook my head thinking "In the US that lady would be on her face on the concrete with three pair of handcuffs, ready to be visiously thrown into a cop car."

And once in a while you see a pimplefaced fifteen year old in an army uniform walking around with some kind of weapon. God I hope it isn't loaded becasue they have no idea ... . I did see a bunch of normal-loooking guys in uniforms the other day, but they were getting into cars to go eat lunch. There's some kind of army office down the street.

This is our ruthless suppression force.

We heard about Wuhan early in January. I don't do teevee ever since The Prisoner ended (still trying to figure out the last show, anyone got any ideas ?) so I got it verbally. Spring Festival was January 24.

Went to the village (4 million people) mid-January, people were starting to stay inside. I took maybe fifty photos, there's not a single policeman in any of them. I would be happy to send you for verification. Not too many people walking around either, I could get some good shots.

The news was ramping up, people were getting a bit antsy, immediately after Spring Festival I returned to Shanghai. Temperature checks at the bus station but nothing really annoying.

A couple times on the way back they stopped the bus, we all got off and paraded past the handheld thermometers. Got our ID checked to see where we belonged. I guess they were starting to squeeze down on intra-city travel. These were policemen. Polite. Put up with my lack of proof of living in Shang, no one on the bus manhandled. Maybe if someone had had a temperature they'd have shot him on the spot but evidence does not support that conclusion.

That might they stopped intra-city public transport altogether.

No force, no guns, no army.

By this time the people were getting concerned and starting to insist on masks and stay-home. Kinda pushed me out of joint because masks don't keep you safe. Then I had an epiphany - they DO help keep others from infecting you, so worthwhile. They used psychology to get the behavior they wanted, clever

There was a week or so of unsettledness, public places were doing thermometer checks and they started requiring masks and ID signin but nothing too annoying. Places were very apologetic but explained that "because of the virus we need to do this." No prob.

We thought that things would return to normal as people came back from new years. The ninth would have been the first day of work.

Ha. Fooled us. On the ninth I saw (I walked all over because this was interesting and what do I have to lose ? old fart croaks, who cares ?) several groups - maybe four or five cops each - of upper-level policemen (you can tell by the uniform and nicer hats) going door to door and having a short talk with business owners, after which the business closed the door and sometimes put up a sign.

Let me mention this again - policemen in China do not carry guns and weigh under 200 pounds and don't push people around. You can even ask directions without fear of being snarled at. They aren't assholes. Sometiems they are funny. I got in an altercation with a taxi when he tried to run over me, broke his mirror off, thousands of villagers crowded around, went off to the policceman station, me riding on the back of his motorscooter. Vicious. After three hours of arguing it was getting late and I was hungry so gave the taxi driver fifty cents for the broken mirror and called it quits. If I were Shanghainese we'd still be there, they'll fight to the death over fifty cents. This is copdom in China.

Or I could tell you about running down the train platform with granny and a six year old between us, five cops chasing shouting "stop that foreigner ! stop that foreigner !" and everyone laughing, but I won't. Damn granny almost outran me. Yeah, repressive human rights violators. Vicious.

Then they put middle-aged ladies and guys in orange vests at the gates to lane houses and subdivisions. They would get your ID and temperature and name, write it all down in a little book. Half the time I had to do my own, they had a hard time with English (shouldn't have allowed that but I didn't have covid, so no problem.)

People from some bureau or other - city government district offices ? - came around soon to give everyone a hall pass. If you needed to go outside the city, this would allow you back in. Cities did a weird (to me) thing ... you could leave freely but where you were going might not let you in. And then the place you left might not let you back either.

Most people just stayed where they were

Oh, forgot. Anyone who came back just prior to the sixth had to stay home for two weeks. And they couldn't come on the bus or train becasue no buses or trains at that time. Had to cadge a ride in a friend's car. I guess that kept the migratory workers out. I missed that because I came back earlier. Maybe a hole in their logic but didn't seem to be a problem. They did good here, 16 million people, 350 cases.

Grocery stores remained open, no lack of supplies, just had to sign in with ID and temp check and phone number.

They soon decided that peole got paid no matter what, so a lot of people who were not under quarantine went to work. The doors were shut but you could see they were inside. If you needed something they'd wave hello and tell you to go away, they were closed. Thanks. Maybe some of them worked, probably most of them played cards

A lot of stuff went onlie. Sixth graders doing their homework via wechat. Ugh, not good but whatcha gonna do ?

Pretty much everything was shut except they made sure the important functions of the city were kept alive. There were no stupid restrictions like "Everybody must stay home no matter what !" If you were not quarantined you could go to your work or walk the streets or do whatever you wanted. I got a lot of photos of emptiness.

I'd put this in caps but that looks tacky so let's repeat - almost everyone WANTED to stay home. These measures were NOT draconian. There was no army of storm troopers patrolling the streets. I HAVE PHOTOS. You won't see even ONE cop or army person or anything else enforcing anything.

It's a temptation to speculate that they did show more force in Wuhan, because it was more dangerous. But I bet you would see even fewer "draconian measures" there because in general people don't want to die.

There was no need for force. We recognized that people die from this and didn't want to join their ranks. That was plenty. The public was overwhelmingly behind this.

Yes, you can pull up "reports" from dipshits writing for the western press who found one freak being manhandled. There is going to be some nutcase anywhere in the world who is going to act irrationally. But this was NOT, repeat NOT the case in 99.99% of the cities.

In fact, my Assistant was browbeaten by her parents to NOT leave the house, even to go down the street to her friend's. They are older. They threatened to not let her back in.

Did I mention that people did not want to die ?

I really do get sick of the US press ... no matter what, they have the same old axe to grind. I guess they know what sells and they are going to fulfil that need no matter what the facts are, but I find it disgusting. Alice Su should be dropped off and gangbanged in downtown Detroit, what a deceitful lying cunt.

Sorry, too long, but all I ever hear from youse guys is this "draconian measures, human rights" crap. It's crap. Honest. I have more freedom in Commie China than the good ol' beacon of liberty US. Particularly in this case, the press is a reservoir of pigshit misinformation.

Absolutely agree with you ! Therefore ...

I did not pull this out my ass, PLEASE watch this, start at the 6:00 minute mark if you like, the beginning is just introductions of everyone on the planet who contributed. You might recognize this guy, he's a thirty-year expert on infectious diseases for the World Health Organization. Some of the most interesting points are at the end of the video. He has made simlar statements in other places, please confirm. It's not a flash-in-the-pan conclusion, and it's backed by data (as of that moment, of course there is twice as much data because the west didn't want to believe anything from them lying commie chinks, e.g. here on PM.)

Report on Coronavirus in China

Seriously, time to re-evaluate your preconceptions, about several things.

48 minute mark, to answer your question specifically.
    For quite a while now, I've felt we're all having the piss taken out of us.
    Yanks seem to hate "commie bastard" Russians. But if the Ruskies were that bad, they wouldn't be giving them a lift into space.
    Who facilitated the move of UK and USA manufacturing to China? Our .govs.
    Who allows China to ship stuff to a USA address cheaper than a cross state ship?
    US .gov does.
    Who is the United Nations?
    USA UK China Russia France.
    The 5x victors of WW2.
    I'm sure all this media shit stirring us V them is choreographed and then from behind closed doors at the UN and other big meetings, they drink the fine port, smoke the big cigars, and count their money while laughing at us all.

26. Likes cnctoolcat, gregormarwick liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Almost everything else is back to normal availability here in Finland except FFP3 respirators. Toilet paper craze in here was especially weird, pretty sure its one of the few things we are 400% self-sufficient with 2 factories and warehouses that last for months.

4th day that I have mild corona-like symptoms along two of my close acquaintances. No quarantine as testing is limited to seriously ill and healthcare personnel atm and I don't have known exposure to the virus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

. . . Alice Su should be dropped off and gangbanged in downtown Detroit, what a deceitful lying cunt. . . ..
    I had to look her up, not getting the LA Times and all:

Alice Su

What did she do? Report unflatteringly on China in one of her articles?