Corona virus affecting your business ? Over reaction? - Page 36
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 36 of 216 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I'll have to side with Scottl in question if this is worth of all the trouble and economic loss.

Data from Italy suggests that its old and sick people dying on the disease. 60% of the people who end up in intensive care die irregardless.

Maybe Italy and Spain are going to be winners in this after all? They don't have time to throw huge resources for every walking zombie and the infection should sweep over the nation faster and life should retun back to "normal" faster than in other countries where they manage to slow it down.

Latest news from Spain was that elderly people with less than 2 years estimated lifetime are left to die without intensive care.
    "Sorry, Mom, I know you likely only have a couple years left. After all, you're 91. I'm going down to the bar to rub elbows with my pals and keep the bartender economy afloat. I'll come see you tomorrow afternoon." Really?

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    So far it doesn't seem to have gotten any traction in Africa. As I said before, there are differences in populations and no disease affects all groups the same.
    Yup. Age distribution in Africa is totally different compared to "western countries". On the other hand every ICU case is good as dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And a lie
    Let us compare their response with the idiot trump shall we

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Dec 27th?
    Timeline: The early days of China's coronavirus outbreak and cover-up - Axios

China lied - People died.
    Quite catchy...

5. Likes SIP6A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has really devolved into nothing more than a series of personal attacks driven by extreme polarization.

Silly.

7. Likes Mark Rand, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    "Sorry, Mom, I know you likely only have a couple years left. After all, you're 91. I'm going down to the bar to rub elbows with my pals and keep the bartender economy afloat. I'll come see you tomorrow afternoon." Really?
    Too early to say.
    I'll I'm saying that crashing world economy for 30 years and starting WWIII is also hefty price to pay to save granny.

9. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    The Democrats and media blasted the President hard for imposing a travel ban on China in January.

What the hell was he supposed to do? Impose it sooner, and face even more scrutiny from the media and Dems?

The piece-of-shit Chinese didn’t even admit it was capable of being transferred from person-to-person until late January...sending millions of neanderthals all over the world in celebration of the “Chinese New Year”.

China will pay a hard economic price for this as the world moves forward...

And grow up folks, major diseases are almost always named where they originated...(Ebola, West Nile, etc.)

Nothing xenophobic or racist AT ALL about calling it the “Chinese virus”.

You guys with TDS need to realize how biased and slanted your views of reality can be...
    if diseases are named after the country they originated in, why isn't paranoid manic schizophrenia not called american disease?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    if diseases are named after the country they originated in, why isn't paranoid manic schizophrenia not called american disease?
    Or why isn't the 1918 flu outbreak called the Kansas flu?

All you people are doing is spreading rumors. You really should stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I wonder if the few members here that constantly defend China do it because of their beliefs or because it is a weapon of choice in their trolling? How someone can consider it racist to bad mouth a communist government boggles the mind. I guess the extreme lefties are too dense to realize most all the anti-Chinese rhetoric is directed at it's government and authorities, not at the poor helpless people that have to live under it's rules and regulations.
    what communist government?
    china is about as much communist as the usa democracy is democratic
    in both states it is money/power that rules.
    only the way it expresses itself is different.
    you go and worry about the poor helpless people that live under usa rules and regulations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the cost / benefit front, a few points.

First, had we responded sensibly, this whole thing would have a much shorter duration, fewer deaths, and less economic impact. Too late for that, but should be a lesson learned.

Second, we've spent the past three years pumping borrowed trillions into the economy. We had repatriated cash going into stock buybacks. Trillions of breaks going to the sort of companies going into the Dow Jones 30. Look up that list - ask yourself what social purpose was served by borrowing money from our kids (increased debt) and giving it to Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanely, a half dozen pharma/health companies, etc. Point is, we made the boom longer at risk of a deeper bust. While COVID-19 was a trigger for that bust, in my opinion it was coming due at some point regardless. The current crash is a big deal for those with depending upon retirement accounts -- I'm not as sympathetic for hedge funds, etc.

Third, all of us should be able to find some profitable way to spend a few weeks of downtime. With "profitable" broadly defined as personally satisfying and enriching. For one of us it's measuring the speed of light. That's not the end of the world - it's an opportunity to try something new. Best if we didn't waste it.

Fourth, humanity will get some combination of immunity and herd immunity to this particular virus -- and eventually likely a vaccine. What we're attempting to do is gain a few weeks or months of time to be better prepared. I'm in a demographic where my chances of dying from this are guesstiamted around 20%. Since I'm also being treated (successfully) to keep cancer in check, maybe higher (35%??). That may be assuming I can get on an available ventilator. Those chances of death could rise (30% for all of us around 70??) if/when we run out of ventilators, people to run them, etc. On the other had they might drop (10%, then 5%) if we get ventilators, find which medicines and protocols address symptoms, and eventually get a vaccine.

We all have a bunch of projects to get done before our time runs out. This pandemic shouldn't cut that short for most of us, if we handle it sensibly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are many reasons not to let this disease run rampant. One I heard is that those who get it bad but survive often have damaged lungs. An Xray shows a latticework of missing tissue. I am all for shutting things down and quarantine but it will only work if everyone does it, which won't happen here. Spring break looks like it will do a great job of spreading the disease, looks like Florida is one of the hottest spots for this disease in the US from some maps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OMG! We are all going to die!

The World Health Organization is warning that 10,000 new cases a week are possible.

The World Is Losing The War Against this disease.

With these scary headlines it appears the coronavirus will kill off huge numbers of us.

Only thing is ... this was years ago and they made the same predictions about Ebola. I can't find any of the exponential curves right now that showed how the disease would spread through all countries like ...

wait for it ...

like wildfire! Sound familiar? The links below are to the stories from back then.

WHO warns 10,000 new cases of Ebola a week are possible | World news | The Guardian

The War On Ebola Won'''t Be Won Without More Help In West Africa - Business Insider
    and as a result more help was allocated and the situation became under control.
    any more idiot remarks?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    There are many reasons not to let this disease run rampant. One I heard is that those who get it bad but survive often have damaged lungs. An Xray shows a latticework of missing tissue. I am all for shutting things down and quarantine but it will only work if everyone does it, which won't happen here. Spring break looks like it will do a great job of spreading the disease, looks like Florida is one of the hottest spots for this disease in the US from some maps.
    Slowing down won't help with lung damage unless they find effective medication in nearby weeks. Containment would solve that but I don't see way to make it work in most of the western world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look at the bright side. Maybe we can finally get rid of that fucking asshole Feinstein for her fucked up stock deals.

18. Likes Thunderjet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not long ago one of the more hysterical posters suggested that I was too stupid to understand an exponential increase in something like the number of people who will be infected.

At the time I was too busy to answer but now I'll share the math and show how it's done. Many of you already know this but for others it may explain how those scary looking graphs are created.

The formula for exponential growth is a * (1 + r) ^x

a = initial infected
    r = growth rate of infections
    x = time interval

The formula for exponential decay (decline) is a * (1 – r) ^x

Just plug in an assumed growth rate and you've got your scary looking graph. Use a modified formula that incorporates both and you have the infamous curve that needs to be flattened. All you need to decide is at what time interval to reverse the trend.

What all of these scary looking graphs do is use an assumed growth rate that represents a petri dish, not a human population of diverse individuals. That is why the dire predictions of previous epidemics never came true.
    italy proves you wrong

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    acquitted?
    you call that acquitted?
    the same way OJ was acquitted i guess then..
    Here ya go pilgrim.

Did US Senate Fail to Acquit Trump Because There Wasn't a 'Real' Trial?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Spring break looks like it will do a great job of spreading the disease, looks like Florida is one of the hottest spots for this disease in the US from some maps.

Trust me, we were all pissed at seeing the photos of idiots cramming 20 people onto a 10 person boat, playing flip cup on the beach, etc...

I mean, we hate them most of the time anyway, because they trash our beaches, but we hated them extra this year.

A friend is passing around a photo of people in Orlando laying on the sand, 2 feet in front of the "DO NOT CROSS" tape that's closing off the beaches now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    Other side of the coin:

"Sorry, Mom, I know you likely only have a couple years left. Unfortunately, because they crashed the economy to save the elders there's a food shortage and your medicine is unavailable because China is withholding it. It doesn't really matter because we can't afford to buy anything anyway after they closed my company and the local bank was driven under and all our savings are gone. I'm sorry you're in pain but most of your doctors went out of business and the ones who remain have a nine month waiting list."

"But hey, at least we saved you so enjoy what's left of your life and pretend that hot water with a drip of ketchup is tomato soup."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Trust me, we were all pissed at seeing the photos of idiots cramming 20 people onto a 10 person boat, playing flip cup on the beach, etc...

I mean, we hate them most of the time anyway, ....
    Kids will be kids and boys will be boys.
    Buy them books and send them to school and all they want to do is drink beer and drain their pickle.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what a display
    do you look your old people in the face and tell them they ain't worth breaking your shit job shops budget

probly not

25. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh, oh . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...en-than-women/

I'm thinking massive purchase of TP may provide protection!

---

As an aside, a few years ago my wife sent a birthday card to one of her girlfriends. The recipient, a former Southern California beauty queen, with a great sense of humor, and just a bit past her prime with another birthday at 60++.

On the front etc. it said: "How to enlarge your breasts . . . rub them with toilet paper!" pictured along with the voluptuous results.

Inside it said somethng like: "Don't laugh . . . It already seems to have worked on our butts . . .. "

27. Likes Bobw, Scottl liked this post