Close
Login to Your Account
Page 67 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 4311
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You had an Isetta ? Those were a kick. So did my uncle ... ever look at that front door and wonder what would happen if you had to get out in a crash ? Or even a fender-bender ?
    I don't think they were trikes tho, Limy. Two wheels in back were real close together but not a trike ?
    Actually Isettas were made in both configurations, some with two close-set rear wheels, and some with one rear wheel.
    The issue was how the target market treated three wheel vehicles for tax purposes.

The REAL problem with Isettas is, they are powered with an R26 motor. Single cylinder 260 cc bmw motor. The
    motorbikes powered with those could barely get out of their own way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    How many die of influenza each year?
    about .1 percent

but as with all things you do not understand math

when 20 million people get the flu, 20 thousand die, and we generally view that as acceptable, and the majority of them have preexisting conditions, including being old

If 20 million people get this disease, it would appear 200000 to 600000 will die, which will have a catastrophic affect on the country

you can make up stuff, but those are the numbers we are dealing with right now

maybe we find out those numbers are deeply flawed, but they have followed time and again.

These are not just regular deaths, Italy is up to its armpits in corpses

Every country that has not dealt with this has a vertical line of cases and deaths

It is not as if theUS is an outlier and has lost their minds. Every country is taking big, drastic actions.

This is not a game

You have no point

3. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    about .1 percent

but as with all things you do not understand math

when 20 million people get the flu, 20 thousand die, and we generally view that as acceptable, and the majority of them have preexisting conditions, including being old

If 20 million people get this disease, it would appear 200000 to 600000 will die, which will have a catastrophic affect on the country

you can make up stuff, but those are the numbers we are dealing with right now

maybe we find out those numbers are deeply flawed, but they have followed time and again.

These are not just regular deaths, Italy is up to its armpits in corpses

Every country that has not dealt with this has a vertical line of cases and deaths

It is not as if theUS is an outlier and has lost their minds. Every country is taking big, drastic actions.

This is not a game

You have no point
    When this is over I will compare REAL numbers with the dire predictions. I'm betting the predicted carnage will never occur, and not because of all these measures that are deeply flawed (due to exceptions such as "essential business") and based on the assumption that the disease is not already so widespread that containment is not possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason the China virus is such a concern to me is that it does not discern amongst its victims. It targets the elderly, the young, blacks, whites, Democrats, Republicans, people of all shapes and sizes. Now, if I could choose who it targets....
    Last edited by GregSY; 03-26-2020 at 07:45 AM.

6. Likes Bobw, 72bwhite, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When this is over I will compare REAL numbers with the dire predictions. I'm betting the predicted carnage will never occur, and not because of all these measures that are deeply flawed (due to exceptions such as "essential business") and based on the assumption that the disease is not already so widespread that containment is not possible.
    Some parts of the Italy are the real numbers right now.
    How often do they need Army in Italy to transport the flu season dead bodies?
    PA Trento in Italy has currently 240% utilization on ICU. Why this doesn't happen on normal flu season?
    Coronavirus

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bosleyjr View Post
    .. one question only: who will get our country through this crisis with the least loss of life while preserving as well as possible the freedoms we enjoy (or should be enjoying).
    Oh. Simple as that?

Looked for a minute as if it was going to get all complicated-like.

You will.

I will.

We will.

What goes-on in the halls of any Nation's "Hooverment" - those who vacuum-up all the resources they can suck.. is largely irrelevant.

Thot' you knew that?

Decoy J. Trump knows it. Why d'you think he's handling the "strain" of the job so easily?

All he has to do is be obnoxious enough, first-time, all the time, they go bugf**k off TDS ....and fail to interfere while real people - ALL "persuasions", not just Ripofflicans - get on with fixing more s**t as was broken than breaking more s**t as was not.

Kinda messy. Not very efficient. But so long as it is trending more often positive than negative, it serves well-enough.

There was some other option? Since WHEN?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

unfortunately it is not possible to wait until it is all over to judge what is going to happen

that is called being a Monday morning quarterback

One must act with the numbers one has

Virtually every country that has failed to act early has paid a human toll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When this is over I will compare REAL numbers with the dire predictions. . ..
    Scott, when this is over you also might expect to be reminded you were assuring us this was just the flu, no big deal, and we should all go out and meet in groups of 100 just like you were planning to do. Might even go back to your hoax comment, you've since (intelligently) distanced yourself from. While you've been backtracking and trying to catch up to reality -- when we most needed to be proactive as individuals and as a nation you were pretty much at the head of the no-big-deal crowd. Still are, it seems.

Not sure precisely where you are now. Maybe at let's fill up the churches on Easter Sunday in less than three weeks? Got to resurrect the Dow?

It's certainly true we don't yet know the extent of this. One hopes you're right about minimal damage. If that is the case, it will be from people acting pro-actively to stem the pandemic and not those calling it a hoax, no big deal, not worth the impact on the Dow.

Ideally, self-isolation buys us time (two months of that already pretty much pissed away) to ramp up virus testing, then anti-body testing, supplies of masks and other PPE, better treatment protocols, sufficient ventilators, and (fingers crossed) a vaccine sooner than later. Unlike China, South Korea, and Singapore it looks like we missed the opportunity to stop this in its tracks by testing widely, tracing cases, and isolating most everyone infected. Now it's more about mitigation and buying a bit of time for our health care system to catch up (one that several states are, incidentally, still suing to dismantle for something like 20 million of us)

It's a cavalier attitude towards this pandemic that now has New Orleans battling contagion, perhaps Spring Break party goers in Florida returning to wreak havoc elsewhere. Or maybe the CPAC group now somewhat widely infected. What's already clear to someone not entirely living in a tribal bubble is that this is already not "just the flu" and in any town with documented cases (the real number likely 10x due to lack of testing), we shouldn't be meeting cheek to jowl in groups of 100 or more.

At this point in time, we're still not slowing the pace of new infections and deaths: Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

12. Likes SIP6A, dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its a thing aint it Pete?

if the distancing and isolation works...and we get thru it....there will be
    those that will harp that it was never a big deal and it was all unecessary.

if it doesnt work, same group will say we crashed the economy for nothing.

science,numbers,data,graphs,experts...et al..be damned.

sigh.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    ...if it doesnt work, same group will say we crashed the economy for nothing.
    If it doesn't work, we will have crashed the economy for nothing.

But it's working, It's not going to be fast enough for New York though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tru 'nuf jan....tho the economy not worth much a damn without a society.

but agree, ill work if everyone stays the course..sadly there will be casualties....aint no short cut on this un.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Myself and couple co-workers have been barred from coming back to work. We were in close proximity to someone that was tested this morning. He's pretty sick, won't know for two more days.
    I have my programming laptop, and am programming with mastercam at Home. Not a bad deal lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1918 Pandemic - Spanish Flu

This just popped up on Mrs. Ox's radar a cpl months ago as she was reading some book about ... IDK - the First Great War or some such I guess....

And then this popped up on her facebook and she read it to me while we were out cruisin' and b.... well, out delivering parts on a nice night out. (spring weather)

This is an interesting read:

What happened during the Spanish Flu epidemic? | wtol.com

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the way it spreads is a geometric progression not a linear progression.

New York waited about a month past the time to take action.

switch production to making urns and caskets is the hot tip.

the next 2 to 3 weeks will tell the story.
    slow the spread enough to not over run the medical system you get a lower death rate.
    once it over taxes the healthcare system death rate will go up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Some parts of the Italy are the real numbers right now.
    How often do they need Army in Italy to transport the flu season dead bodies?
    Coronavirus
    Spain is using ice rinks to stack the bodies up on. Yeah not your average flu. In the words of Ron White, "you can't fix stupid"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Thanks for posting that, everybody here should read that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    tru 'nuf jan....tho the economy not worth much a damn without a society.

but agree, ill work if everyone stays the course..sadly there will be casualties....aint no short cut on this un.
    the question is which will be the bigger crisis.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    the way it spreads is a geometric progression not a linear progression.
    Or is it "exponential"? Anyway "Yes", there is a multiplication factor in there. Major one.

But then also altered by probabilistic effects.

Eg; Whether ALL contacts made that COULD HAVE resulted in a transfer actually did or not, and whether some potential carriers fire-breaked transmission off already-immune participants that did not carry it.

There is no "perfect" answer short of we all go into full HAZMAT suits, if even THEN, so the spacing guidelines - yellow crosses appearing on the floor already in several establishments locally to remind folks to not bunch up - are only a SWAG.

I just try to stop myself at my own front door.

"It can wait".

"Make-do with what is already HERE."

Then again, a retiree living most of the year alone, no job or regularly scheduled events or responsibilities, no kids or family in-residence? NORMALLY stocked to the teeth with foodstuffs and household consumables as a part of his ordinary economic cushion, reliable but FIXED income, "emergency" leveler-outer?

That is "easy for me to say".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rocks and hard places.

shame were in a situation where we have to prop up a friggin cruise line just to get the support where its really needed.

politics indeed.

24. Likes Milland liked this post