Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    There was that Johnny Cash song, ... Get Rhythm...
    Catholic Roulette

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    I told another man looking at the empty shelves that "stupidity is contagious. This run on TP started in China and came here."
    Once again, there was no run on toilet paper in China. Or instant noodles, either. Or frozen food. Or butter. Or cheese. Or cooking oil and frozen huntun. They took fresh meat and fish off the shelves but not the frozen.

After a week or so it was harder to find some imported stuff, like Kellogg's cereal or decent butter and cheese (that many people don't eat anyway) or Triscuits. Some of the little import specialty stores closed, but not all. Fresh fruits and vegetables never a problem, I made chicken cantaloupe with avocado twice, no problem. And the first few days it was difficult (but not impossible) to find masks.

That was all the difficulty we had with food items, and none, ever with toilet paper paper towels or Kleenex or tampons or any other stupid paper product.

Jeeze. Where do these dumb stories come from ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    I've archived your post along with several other "end of the world as we know it" posts. We'll revisit this later after the "crisis" is over, comparing final results vs dire predictions.

Your 6 million figure is more than 100 times greater than seasonal deaths from influenza and other "normal" seasonal diseases.
    the clue is the "normal"
    but we will see in a couple of weeks how normal it is...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old fashioned substitute is phone books. Not as common today but some still exist. Facial tissue can also be used in an emergency, just remember to flush more often to prevent clogging. Last resort? Cloth such as thin washcloths, soaked in a strong bleach solution after each use before laundering. Keep a stack handy along with the bucket of solution. Unpleasant but if worse comes to worse better than other alternatives. FWIW a 15% solution of bleach will kill every organism known, including Ebola, on surfaces. I learned this as part of safety training while working with blood analyzing equipment in a lab that used blood samples from an indigent population (think skid row) known to harbor multiple infectious diseases. We were also advised to double glove in case of a tear. This was part of product testing prior to releasing to the market.

Folks, this is the United States of America. Not only does our health care system do a superb job of dealing with health crises but as individuals we have "stuff" readily available that is not so common in other countries. Most of us have rubbing alcohol, peroxide and bleach on hand and Americans in general tend to have better nutrition and vitamin and mineral supplementation than many other countries. All of these can be critical in the presence of infectious diseases.
    when was the last time your health care system was tested by a crisis of this magnitude?

better nutrition, vitamin and mineral supplementation than many other countries?
    really?
    better than Italy, Spain, France?
    really?

4. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

World is burning and I went to paradise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is some interesting information here:
    Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandiapaul View Post
    This is an excellent link

8. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandiapaul View Post
    Talk about fearmongering!

"The coronavirus is coming to you.
    It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
    It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
    When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
    Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways.
    Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
    They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies.

The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
    That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now."

That reads like a script from a Hollywood disaster movie.

If the healthcare system DOES get overwhelmed the most likely cause will be media inspired panic driving people with colds, flu, and even seasonal allergies into going to the hospital when normally they would stay home.

LISTEN UP FOLKS!

Every panic stricken idiot who runs needlessly to the emergency room may be delaying treatment not only for people with coronavirus complications (severe respiratory distress) but also for the people who suffer complications from cold, flue and pneumonia as well as heart attack and stroke victims and victims of physical trauma.

This is the real danger from this "pandemic", not millions of Americans dying like flies from COVID-19. If you get sick, stay home and take care of yourself but don't run to the ER unless you are experiencing severe issues, which can be confirmed by a call to your doctor. He or she will tell you if you need intervention based on your symptoms.

================================================== ==========================
    I decided to look up the guy who wrote that piece. Here's part of his bio.

"He moved to America in 2008 for his MBA at Stanford University, where he specialized in behavioral psychology, design, storytelling, and scriptwriting."

He specialized in storytelling and scriptwriting? Seriously? No wonder they say truth is stranger than fiction. The sad fact is that people would take this clown seriously. Here's some of his previous work.

What The Rise of Skywalker Can Teach about Storytelling

10. Likes StinkyDan, Garwood, thomj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Catholic Roulette

Once again, there was no run on toilet paper in China. Or instant noodles, either.

Jeeze. Where do these dumb stories come from ?
    OK, maybe it was Hong Kong. (Lots of Gooogle hits on that) I saw it on CBS news, trucks were even being hijacked to sell it on the black market.

Do not know anything about a noodle shortage, just commented on seeing a lots in other carts. Never buy that stuff myself so I do not know where the shelves are to know if any was left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dare I ask what Chicken Cantaloupe is?

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least I understand the loo roll hording now.

14. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our school district just closed up. Our local hospital is getting slammed with sick people and fighting to get them OUT of the ER. They are telling people to get the fuck out and go home. Come back if you have a life threatening issue, there's nothing they can do for a cold and there is no coronavirus test available to them.

I hope it's just hype.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    OK, maybe it was Hong Kong. (Lots of Gooogle hits on that) I saw it on CBS news, trucks were even being hijacked to sell it on the black market.
    Google hits is nice but wrong, due to strange circumstances I had to be in Hong Kong on February 6th ... a day before they instituted quarantine from HK. Lucky me

No panic, hoarding, or other strange behavior in Hong Kong at that time. And judging from the way Hong Kong people normally behave (they are pretty sharp), I have serious doubts about these google hits. As of early February, they are nonsense.

I'm sorry, but there is so much bad information about what really went on in China. Germ warfare, military excercises, hoarding, shortages, riot police putting people in cages, all we're missing is Bigfoot and anal probes by aliens. Maybe a gorilla climbing an office building.

The truth is a lot less exciting. We stayed home for three weeks. Watched teevee and movies and played online card games. Some people took up cooking or candle making or other boring hobbies and put the hilarious results online for other people to laugh at. Went to the grocery store for entertainment. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Dare I ask what Chicken Cantaloupe is?
    Okay, doesn't sound good but in real life, tastes excellent !

This is for four normal-size people, adjust to suit :

2 cantaloupes, cut in half and melon ball the insides out. Set the balls aside, slice a flat spot on the bottom to keep them from rolling around but be careful not to cut through to the inside (I messed that up the first time. If you do, cut a patch and stick it in from the inside, the mum figured that out, thanks)

2 avocados
    1 tsp each grated lime and orange rind
    1/4 cup each lime and orange juice
    1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive)
    2 tsp grated ginger root
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
    2 boneless chicken breasts (why do they always say that ? I never found bones in a breast)
    1 sweet red pepper, cut in skinny slices
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1/4 cup chopped basil or coriander (YES coriander ! or what is the english word for the plant ? That's what I used, favorite taste, xiangcai in chinese)
    2 tbsp chopped red onion

First mix everything together except for the lopes and chicken and red bell pepper, stir it up and set half aside. Use the other half to marinate the chicken for a half hour or so.

Now go grille the chicken and red pepper. You might consider grilling the onion too ?

after cooking cut it all up into bite-sized chunks

Almost forgot, have to cut the avocados into bite-size chunks also but don't cook them

Almost done, mix all the stuff together gently, pour the remaining half of the sauce over the mix, then distribute among your four empty cantaloupe halves.

eat and be happy

Tastes pretty good, I thought. In fact really good, nobody bitched at all. Definitely a good summer barbecue type dish, a little different.

btw, got all this stuff from the grocery store during quarantine. I had a hall pass

^ @ Demon - laughing my ass off. Too funny, but also too true

17. Likes Bobw, Lastuneste liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Our school district just closed up. Our local hospital is getting slammed with sick people and fighting to get them OUT of the ER. They are telling people to get the fuck out and go home. Come back if you have a life threatening issue, there's nothing they can do for a cold and there is no coronavirus test available to them.
    Well that's the crux of it right there. If we had comprehensive testing, most of this panic would likely go away.

Regards.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the healthcare system DOES get overwhelmed the most likely cause will be media inspired panic driving people with colds, flu, and even seasonal allergies into going to the hospital when normally they would stay home.

LISTEN UP FOLKS!

Every panic stricken idiot who runs needlessly to the emergency room may be delaying treatment not only for people with coronavirus complications (severe respiratory distress) but also for the people who suffer complications from cold, flue and pneumonia as well as heart attack and stroke victims and victims of physical trauma.

This is the real danger from this "pandemic", not millions of Americans dying like flies from COVID-19. If you get sick, stay home and take care of yourself but don't run to the ER unless you are experiencing severe issues, which can be confirmed by a call to your doctor. He or she will tell you if you need intervention based on your symptoms.

"He moved to America in 2008 for his MBA at Stanford University, where he specialized in behavioral psychology, design, storytelling, and scriptwriting."

He specialized in storytelling and scriptwriting? Seriously? No wonder they say truth is stranger than fiction. The sad fact is that people would take this clown seriously. Here's some of his previous work.

pure fearmongering, a storyteller, who does he think he is?
    but then again, the numbers he uses do not seem to be taken straight out of his ass.
    in fact, the three days that have past since do seem to confirm his view.
    but let us just wait a little longer to see if he was right after all.
    no harm in waiting just a couple of days, now is there?
    unless of course he is right......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LISTEN UP FOLKS!

Did you read the information in the link?

No I bet not

It shows clearly infection rates, and reaction of the infection rates to the measures implemented

WTF is wrong with you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most places are semi-normal now. Wuhan is the exception.

Not entirely normal but a reasonable facsimile thereof. .
    I assume there’s some catching up that the Chinese shops are doing. The Chinese vendors are promising 2 weeks ARO, but have warned that it may slip 2 weeks. Which doesn’t effect the customer.

I quoted 4 weeks, I was slightly more expensive than the Chinese price + shipping. With this customer if I had been $50 more expensive they would have still gone the China rout.

Sounds like that customer is a prick, tho. I would turn my back on them and look for better ones. Easier said than done but still ...

Maybe make you feel better, some PA's are just assholes. .
    I was late on a job, I missed a couple of deliveries by a week. Then the parts sat on a pallet for a month before going to the anodizer. I was going to bring up the fact that the parts sat on the pallet for a month but would have been told, ‘technically you were late’ (which I was)

The part that really pisses me off is that the customer doesn’t have a clue how to vend a job out or talk to vendors.

I had to pass on a job they wanted me to do that I just could fit in (I’m a one man band) I soon realized they didn’t know how to ask for a quote, how to package files for a quote, how to make pdf’s/ppt’s etc to help the vendor quote the parts. They also didn’t know any vendors.

So I prepared a package for them, did some pdf’s, made a ppt showing critical/non-critical features of the parts, gave them a list of vendors etc. This took a long evening. The reason I did this was to help out a good friend there who didn’t know what to do, and his *** was on the line.

While this was going on one of the young kids said, ‘this company in China made a bracket for my Ducati, lets send them the files to quote’ So they did, the company came back with a competitive quote, a 2 week lead time and got the job.

So all the work I did to try and help them vend the job stateside was wasted. I never did get a thank you. If I find that they sent my pdf’s and ppt’s to the Chinese vendor to help them quote there’s going to be big trouble.

22. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

I hope it's just hype.
    What you have described is exactly the kind of panic this misinformation campaign is causing. As I said in one post if people take care of themselves at home and only seek professional help if they are in crisis the medical professionals can do their jobs and we all get through this smoothly. There is a world of difference between normal respiratory involvement of a bout with flu or whatever and the kind of life threatening impairment that merits a trip to the emergency room. Most doctor's offices also have nurse practitioners who can interview a patient or caregiver over the phone and decide if a hospital visit is advised. I know quite a few people in the medical profession and you can't imagine the contempt with which they normally view "emergency room sissies" who run to the ER at the first sniffle or cough during normal times. They have to interview them and examine them, which takes valuable time that might be needed by others, plus the fact that they are bringing their infectious bodies near vulnerable people.

24. Likes Garwood, Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most places are semi-normal now. Wuhan is the exception.

Not entirely normal but a reasonable facsimile thereof. .
    How do Chinese shops quote parts?

My friend at the ex customer said there was no ryme or reason to their quoting. The only correlation he could see was based on the volume of the part. So a small but complex part would be cheap, a large but simple plate with 4 holes in each corner would be proportionality more expensive, as far as he could tell the price increased as a function of the volume.

I wonder if material cost is a very big fraction of their cost to make parts, so material cost drives the cost more than labour.

Also Delrin parts they quote are VERY expensive. They quoted parts for $30ea in quantities of 100, that I quoted $6ea in 100 part lots, including material. Any reason for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    pure fearmongering, a storyteller, who does he think he is?
    but then again, the numbers he uses do not seem to be taken straight out of his ass.
    in fact, the three days that have past since do seem to confirm his view.
    but let us just wait a little longer to see if he was right after all.
    no harm in waiting just a couple of days, now is there?
    unless of course he is right......
    Do you know what a self-fulfilling prophecy is? By telling that scare story about overwhelmed hospitals he is inciting what he predicts. Just like wanting to buy the toilet paper before someone else does, human nature means people with mild symptoms will race to the hospital to get there before it is too late.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know quite a few people in the medical profession and you can't imagine the contempt with which they normally view "emergency room sissies" who run to the ER at the first sniffle or cough during normal times.
    If people could afford to go to the fucking doctor then maybe that wouldn't happen so much. When it takes a $200 office visit to get $6 worth of antibiotics that you pay another $50 for, maybe there's a reason people go to ER.

But with your $800 a month health insurance, maybe you wouldn't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406
    How do Chinese shops quote parts?
    I think they pull it out of their ass

Seriously, some of them I have no idea where they come up with their numbers. Others are more rational. I think some of those places are just a way to keep the wife busy and off hubby's back, or the kids, or something. The ones that make a product are more sensible. Or the ones that have stable relationships with name-brand companies, like auto suppliers and such, those guys are normal. But job shops ? whoo-wee.

It's a tossup, really. The place is a zoo

But evryone likes volume, that part is true. It's a rare shop that can do a few parts economically. They may just take the job to keep people busy, that's the best I can figure it. There's a lot of that, not like the US.