Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 4311
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw a podcast from a doc in NYC,Bronx or Elmhurst, can't remember. He was very exhausted, but also very upbeat. Not because things are getting better in NY- but he said he has learned a lot about the way the virus spreads, and he knows he won't catch it.

His words- "be a hand nazi". 99% of the infections happen when someone touches their face.

Basically, If you don't touch your face, you won't catch COVID-19. If someone sneezes or coughs on you then yes- it can transfer this way. But that's not the one you have to worry about- a little distance solves that.

You meet someone, you shake their hand, then touch your face. That's how you catch it.

Wash you hands often. Stop touching your face. It's hard. Cuomo's briefing yesterday- he's sitting there, reporter asks a question- Cuomu unconsciously wipes his nose and lips with his hand before answering. That's how you catch it.

Rule #1. Don't touch your face.
    Rule #2. See Rule #1.

2. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    So here's my prediction - US ends up with over 500,000 cases and a death rate similar to Italy.

I think I'll put $5 on this one ... anybody from Vegas here ?
    So one way to think about it, go to worldometer:

Coronavirus Update (Live): 680,453 Cases and 31,912 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

and sort by 'deaths per million'

And ask, 'where will we end up?'

Remember that the number cannot drop

Italy will practically double, they appear to be leveling off in new cases, but deaths trail.

Their deaths per million are 166
    Both Italy and Spain will likely finish in the range than 300 per million, unless something goes very wrong or very right

The US at 300/mill is 96000 deaths

We are more or less a week behind Italy

We shall see

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post

Now, run along. We actually have a country to try to save from Nero, and frankly his fiddle playing was on my nerves even before he bungled the current crisis.
    :SIGH:
    But out of curiosity, how are you saving the country from YOUR president? What can YOU actually do about him at this very moment in time?

5. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    By the time the virus has cleared - will there be a PM, …………………..or even an internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Im more concerned with what they will get changed during the crisis tbh Sami. That and the mindstate of the general public atm.
    I believe the laws have been changed regarding Internet and "clampdown" so we'll see.
    As for the mindset of the general public...hmmm...if the last couple of pages here have been a snapshot then we're fucked!

7. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I believe the laws have been changed regarding Internet and "clampdown" so we'll see.
    "They" finally instituted martial law and lockdowns in 1918, too. Those did go away.

Income tax, on the other hand ....

Country
    FALKLAND ISLANDS (MALVINAS)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for the mindset of the general public...hmmm...if the last couple of pages here have been a snapshot then we're fucked!
    Cheers I'll take a look.
    I did notice the inclusion and withdrawal of a central bank digital currency in a recent bill. Tis a biggie!
    Does seem to be getting a bit toastier in here than normal. Its times like this we need some Harry E

"They" finally instituted martial law and lockdowns in 1918, too. Those did go away.

Income tax, on the other hand ....
    Well take 10 today and give you back 7 tomorrow. Repeat repeat

10. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

:SIGH:
    But out of curiosity, how are you saving the country from YOUR president? What can YOU actually do about him at this very moment in time?
    When in danger, or in doubt. Run in circles, scream and shout.

12. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1½ months ago I thought Australia was over reacting to the virus. Now I certainly don't think they were.

Wait and see isn't working. Better safe than sorry is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Seem we in Michigan are being serious about it with precautions practiced.
    Interestingly, it's all over the map in how we are responding. Had to drive up to my mom's last night for emergency sump pump repair. She lives outside of Flint, coming from Dundee area. Ann Arbor was dead. No traffic whatsoever. Eery. Brighton, pretty dead. Hit Flint and all of a sudden it seems nearly business as usual in terms of traffic. Back to the small town, and a little less, but still a good amount.

So from quick observations, the seriousness of the quarantine is inversely proportional to ones income, which makes sense. Down here, they have small say tier 3 shops that are still calling themselves "essential" because of some distant relation to the medical field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    When in danger, or in doubt. Run in circles, scream and shout.
    What we really need is Sleepy Joe and his friend Corn Pop (bad dude) to swoop in and save us all from this kung flu.

Or maybe Bernie can shout and knife hand it away.

16. Likes Mr.Green liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So from quick observations, the seriousness of the quarantine is inversely proportional to ones income, which makes sense. Down here, they have small say tier 3 shops that are still calling themselves "essential" because of some distant relation to the medical field.
    Out here in the K.C. area, it pretty lax. Still folks going to the grocery and the hardware stores. Wal-mart is doing a land office business. The liquor stores and dispensaries are all deemed "essential".

Let the numbers start to get really shitty, and folks will freak out and start to take it seriously.

Our shop is doing a bunch of DOD stuff so we can stay open for now. I don't know how long that will last.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Let the numbers start to get really shitty, and folks will freak out and start to take it seriously.
    There is a problem with that .... after they closed things down in China, the biggest form of transmission was within families. If everyone is wandering around until they get scared, good chance they waited too long, now they are cooped up with one member of the family who is sick but doesn't know it yet.

So if you do end up cooped up at home, do not consider yourself safe and get sloppy.

19. Likes Scottl, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a problem with that .... after they closed things down in China, the biggest form of transmission was within families. If everyone is wandering around until they get scared, good chance they waited too long, now they are cooped up with one member of the family who is sick but doesn't know it yet.

So if you do end up cooped up at home, do not consider yourself safe and get sloppy.
    We've been thinking the same thing.

My daughter works at wally world as a personal shopper, so we're keeping a good eye on her . But they do provide all of the PPE they need.

The wife works for a local retirement community, but they are very diligent about testing and have closed all of the resident's quarters to any traffic.

Luckily we have a settup that can work for any of us to quarantine if needed.

I just wish they had the drive thru tests like they said they were going to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    It’s March 28 and as reported to me by an emergency room physician in a major Maryland hospital center.
    It takes ten days to get a testing report back for Covid infection.
    Ten days.

There is no possibility that case spread can be controlled at this return time.
    None.
    Not true at all. Same as with any infectious disease if sick people are kept away from others until they are not sick the disease is harder to spread.

This testing business is IMO blown out of proportion and causing a lot of unnecessary fear. Flu is still dangerous and so are many other respiratory infections. In spite of that what we've seen locally is a hospital diverting enormous amounts of resources to "testing" ambulatory people, many of whom are totally symptom free. Those resources could be put to better use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Not true at all. Same as with any infectious disease if sick people are kept away from others until they are not sick the disease is harder to spread.

This testing business is IMO blown out of proportion and causing a lot of unnecessary fear. Flu is still dangerous and so are many other respiratory infections. In spite of that what we've seen locally is a hospital diverting enormous amounts of resources to "testing" ambulatory people, many of whom are totally symptom free. Those resources could be put to better use.
    Testing is not about the person being tested

It is about knowing what is going on

It is the only link to countries that have successfully fought the virus

Much poorer countries have tested massive amounts of people

It is cheaper than fighting the infections

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Interestingly, it's all over the map in how we are responding. Had to drive up to my mom's last night for emergency sump pump repair. She lives outside of Flint, coming from Dundee area. Ann Arbor was dead. No traffic whatsoever. Eery. Brighton, pretty dead. Hit Flint and all of a sudden it seems nearly business as usual in terms of traffic. Back to the small town, and a little less, but still a good amount.

Were almost neighbors, I'm down by Lambertville.

Living close to the state line I do most of my shopping in the Toledo area. Went out to do some grocery shopping yesterday. Went to Whole food and only few people in store that were keeping there distance doing what your supposed to. Next stop Audi's complete opposite store packed with people. Most brought the whole family, standing close to each other not a care in the world. I expect this to change when this gets to the point when people know somebody that has died from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s lovely how the nuts drop out of the trees in a breeze..

52a15972-1663-4167-8350-afd2ad062601.jpg

25. Likes janvanruth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    Were almost neighbors, I'm down by Lambertville.
    Ok...I'm actually just SE of Tecumseh, but everyone knows Dundee because of Cabelas. It's weird to be this close to Ohio, 30 minute drive and a stones throw. I can be out to HGR in less time than it takes to get to the cabin up north. It's not healthy for my driveway or my pocketbook.

But, it's quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    It’s lovely how the nuts drop out of the trees in a breeze..

52a15972-1663-4167-8350-afd2ad062601.jpg
    And it's windy here in Michigan.

I'm sure somewhere, there is a scientist going "shit, they figured it out already". Or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

according to ancient astronaut theorists the answer is a resounding yes.

(hey, im stayin in....cut me some slack)