What's new
What's new

correct name for 6" tool grinder wheels with 4 mounting holes

Bill D

Diamond
I am trying to search about replacement grinding wheels for a Baldor 6" tool and cutter grinder. these have a central hole to locate the wheel and four smaller bolts to hold it on.
I have seen them called plain, cup,dish, dished, bowl, mounted, plated, plate and a few other terms. problem is all these terms seem to also be used for other types of grinding stones. Most with just one central mounting hole.
is there a correct term to search for?

Also is there any way to force ebay to only look for 6" wheels? when I search for " 6" " it returns anything with a 6 anywhere in the description or model number.
Bill D

Bill D Sir,
Travers tools has what I think your looking for. It's a cgw brand wa-46-k-v wheel.. It takes some searching but they have them and it's the best price that I have found.. They are not a heavy hogging wheel but do nice for finishing up hss tools. I have them on my Hammond grinder.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin B
PS they also fit my delta grinder

Thanks for the info, now I have somewhere to start. Seems to be quite a step up in price when they get glued to a backer plate. It must be some good glue so it does not let go if the stone gets too hot.
Don't worry I am not going to try gluing a stone to a old plate. I have removed brake pads from the backing iron to use the iron for a shim and I now how hard that glue is to get off. I would think the grinding wheels must use similar special glues not for sale to the general public anyway.
I bet the glue is applied before the wheel is cooked in an oven so the glue, the wheel, and the iron plate are all melted together mechanically not just chemically.
Bill D

I am trying to search about replacement grinding wheels for a Baldor 6" tool and cutter grinder. these have a central hole to locate the wheel and four smaller bolts to hold it on.
I have seen them called plain, cup,dish, dished, bowl, mounted, plated, plate and a few other terms. problem is all these terms seem to also be used for other types of grinding stones. Most with just one central mounting hole.
is there a correct term to search for?

Baldor simply calls these "Carbide Grinding Wheel" (P/N# C61 & C121) and "Grinding Wheel/Alum Oxide" (P/N# S46 & S61). The Baldor wheels are made by Norton, but I have been unable to source them, except through Baldor channels.

To search availability from sources other than Baldor, the terms to use include 'Type 50 6" Plate-mounted, Straight Cup Grinding Wheel' with dimensions of 6 x 1 x 4 or 6 x 1-1/2 x 4. The available media choices include aluminum oxide (grey), white aluminum oxide (white) or silicon carbide (green) - selection is based on what material is being ground.

As far as I know, the only other source is Camel Grinding Wheels (CGW). CGW wheels are only available as 6 x 1 x 4. They offer one wheel in White Aluminum and three wheels in Green Silicon.

Be aware that at least one vendor displays images of Taper Cup wheels beside their listings for Straight Cup wheels such as you are seeking.

Also. Baldor/Norton 6 x 1-1/2 x 4 wheels are TOO WIDE to fit on some stock non-Baldor 6" tool grinders. For example: the Rockwell 23-501 requires a 1" wheel (6 x 1 x 4) unless you are prepared to modify the table trunions & their mounting brackets.

A post from another place and time (my focus was on aluminum oxide, so silicon carbide is not mentioned.)

EddyCurr said:
Camel (CGW) continues to offer 6" straight cup plate-mounted, White Aluminum Oxide grinding wheels in one grit (A46); while Norton continues to offer (non-white) Aluminum Oxide in two grits (A46 & A60).

The Norton wheels are sold as Baldor parts - as such, they are quite a bit more expensive than the CGW wheel.

• The Baldor #S46 wheel plate has the following markings:
    Norton
    10281 2719 3/08
    53A46 - K7 VBE
    G9AP3004
  • The Baldor S61 wheel has these markings
    Norton
    10281 2720 3/08
    53A60 - N7 VBE
    G9AP3005

The Camel Grinding Wheel (CGW) wheel is sold as CGW by several sources.

• CGW p/n #34948 is for what they call
    Name: White Aluminium Oxide Wheel
    Opening Diameter: 6″
    Arbor Hole Size: 4″
    Height: 1″
    Grit: 46 (Medium)
    Grade: K (Medium)
    Bond: V (Vitrified)
    Specification: WA-46K-V
    Max Operating Speed: 3,450 RPM
    Colour: White
    Material: Aluminium Oxide
    Type: 50 – Plate mount wheel
    Use Surface grinding, tool & cutter grinding, internal grinding, cutoff.

Ignore the part about 'Arbor Hole Size: 4". They are confused. The ID of the wheel is 4", not the arbor hole.​

For an example, Wholesale Tool has listings for both the Baldor and the CGW A/O wheels. Wholesale Tool's p/n and $prc are as follows

• Baldor/Norton:
    #3031-0340 6" dia.; 4" recessed; 1-1/2" fac 46 Aluminum oxide $126.30
    #3031-0345 6" dia.; 4" recessed; 1-1/2" fac 60 Aluminum oxide $135.60
  • CGW
    #5225-0025: 6" x 1", 46-K, 4", WA, 3,450 $38.50.

Be certain you are looking at the Aluminum Oxide versions if working with HSS

2017.10.25_GrindingWhl6Plate_01.jpg

2017.10.25_GrindingWhl6Plate_02.jpg

2017.10.25_GrindingWhl6Plate_03.jpg

2017.10.25_GrindingWhl6Plate_04.jpg

Anyone choosing the CGW wheels for use on machines built to imperial/inch units is advised to anticipate needing to fit the grinding wheels to the machine.

In my experience, the bolt holes in the wheel's backing plate are not clearanced adequately for the OEM pan socket head caps. Damage to the capscrew threads may occur if the four holes are not slightly enlarged.

Also, check the wheel's bolt hole circle against the machine's pattern. I've found there to be a small discrepancy - when I enlarge the hole diameters, I do so in the direction the bolt circle needs to move.

Lastly, paint on the mounting surface of the backing plate is rough. I smooth mine by going over them with a 2" paint scraper to remove high spots.

No one asked, but here's a tip for those intending to try diamond wheels down the road.

Figure out what thread size/length will be required for the countersunk (flat) socket head capscrews (4 pcs per wheel) required to mount diamond wheels on a 6" Tool Grinder so that you can have these on hand when the diamond wheels arrive.

Note that the grinder's mounting hub has 8 threaded holes - the larger ones accept the pan socket caps used to mount grinding wheels, the smaller ones accept the countersunk (flat) socket caps used to mount diamond wheels.

Needless to say, older domestic machines will have imperial/inch threads. Newer import machines will have metric threads.

I did see on Ebay fairly cheap CBN wheels coming from Russia and Ukraine. These seem to all have just one mounting hole but it makes me wonder if they could be drilled or an adapter made to fit. Would CBN be a good choice for grinding HSS? I also saw some wheels with three holes I think those are for Williams grinders.
Sounds like having the Baldor grinder gives me better options

There are really big quality differences between the Baldor grinder and the imports. There is no comparison in trueness and balance. See Keith Fenner's experience with his MSC purchased clone. It is a very good idea to chuck up all new wheels in a lathe and clean up the paint uneven surface on the back of the wheel plate before mounting to the grinder. In my experience the Baldor grinder is a must have for lathe tools. CBN should only be used on carbide. The aluminum oxide variety cuts HSS tools with very little heat and quickly, even the tougher cobalt alloys.

Additional information on truing and fitting wheel

This post helped me a lot and I wanted to add how I trued the ID of the CGW wheel to allow improved fitment to the bolt heads and to cure a heck of a lot of vibration as the inner diameter of that new wheel had a TIR of about seventy or so thou.
Could not figure how to mount it with the crowded bolt condition plus the variance contributed to the vibration immensely.

Made an arbor (spud) with a washer and a flat head fastener and fit the diamond dresser to the boring bar. Many passes at about 2 thou max per pass got the job done.

Yes the hex for the fastener is not in the center of the mounting bolt, but otherwise the head and the shoulder and the thread are pretty much on center. Added this for amusement only.

IMG_4270.jpgIMG_4271.jpgimage1 (1).jpg

Back