What's new
What's new

Correct name for this type collet?

Thx, I looked those up just now and mine look identical to tg 100. Guy on eboo has 21/$95. Seems like ok price but he doesn’t say what sizes are, I’ll ask but since he didn’t put it in the listing I’m guessing he’s not bothering with minor (to him ) details.

Thx, I looked those up just now and mine look identical to tg 100. Guy on eboo has 21/$95. Seems like ok price but he doesn’t say what sizes are, I’ll ask but since he didn’t put it in the listing I’m guessing he’s not bothering with minor (to him ) details.

You can confirm by checking catalogs. MariTool make them. My best holder (40 taper..) is one of Frank's. It is a work of art.

TG tend to be applied for fairly demanding use. Not often seen, small shop, nor manual machines. Could was more are mounting tools on hard-working "live tooled" CNC supplementary spindles than on primary spindles?

Either way, they want to be undamaged, CLEAN, and should be tightened to spec with a torque wrench. "Overly tired" ones wouldn't have much value.

Thx, I wouldn’t have thought to use a torque wrench but now will do so. These came along with a group of NMTB-50 holders, 4 of which are the collet-type. In setting up this shop we now have a couple carts of these holders of many different kinds (incl some shop-made) that we want to use in a few mills they fit. Photo.

Flickr: Page Not Found

Last edited:
Last edited:
This chart has torque requirements, 90:ft-lbs for tg100, and step-by-step install procedure.

http://www.qtstools.com/document_library/tech-resources/Milling/Collet Torque Chart.pdf

I’ll make a tightening fixture as they recommend. Sounds like about a half-hour job, hole in 1/2” aluminum plate with couple short lengths of steel square bar on either side, plate c-clamped to a workbench or add a tang to clamp in vise.

As many goods as you had in those other photos, I'd first dig deeper in yer stash.

There should have been at least one of the common 50-taper bench-mount tightening fixtures to serve that zoo.

If not, I'd look for a used ELSE new one. Not a lot of glory in DIY when you have other stuff to do you cannot as readily "just buy".

As many goods as you had in those other photos, I'd first dig deeper in yer stash.

There should have been at least one of the common 50-taper bench-mount tightening fixtures to serve that zoo.

If not, I'd look for a used ELSE new one. Not a lot of glory in DIY when you have other stuff to do you cannot as readily "just buy".

No such fixture that I’ve seen, I bought that stuff over years piecemeal. However there are some ginormous shell mill cutters like 1-foot dia, without arbors, but have the usual nmtb50 interface in the middle and four bolt holes midway out, no way I’d use them, I’ll just clamp one down with some space underneath and have meself a quick fixture.

.. ginormous shell mill cutters like 1-foot dia, without arbors, but have the usual nmtb50 interface in the middle and four bolt holes midway out, no way I’d use them, I’ll just clamp one down with some space underneath and have meself a quick fixture.

Sounds good, but... the ONLY 50-taper under-roof here being a face/shell mill mounter-upper I've adapted to other use (my own TG are all on 40-taper..)

I don't see it gripping the 50-taper body where it needs to grip it, short run of the taper plus the lug slot(s) .. to tighten a Hex nut on a TG. At all.

Have a look in the catalogs of the "usual suspects". The shape is the same as 40-Taper and lesser. Just a lot BIGGER-ASSER.

:D

My case, the 40-taper tightening mount is useful. Got ER as well as TG. And "not only".

The 50-taper Lone Ranger I can just lock the only spindle for the only adapter. It happens to not be in an awkward position. As a mill's spindle often is.

You must snap the collet into the nut before installing the shank into the collet. Then insert the assembly into the toolholder and tighten and torque the nut. If you fail to insert the shank before snapping the collet into the nut, you will be unable to remove the collet from the toolholder after tightening. If you wish to run end mills in a tg collet, there are special NP (non-pullout) collets that have a sliding insert to engage the Weldon flat on the end mill shank.

You must snap the collet into the nut before installing the shank into the collet. Then insert the assembly into the toolholder and tighten and torque the nut. If you fail to insert the shank before snapping the collet into the nut, you will be unable to remove the collet from the toolholder after tightening. If you wish to run end mills in a tg collet, there are special NP (non-pullout) collets that have a sliding insert to engage the Weldon flat on the end mill shank.

Thx. Is it impossible or just a bit risky to run Round-shank end mills in ordinary collets without the NP feature? A quick search found no TG100-np collets.

For Thermie: OK here’s my tightening fixture, ain’t the deluxe one but if made of some kinda metal it should work for my sporadic usage. Sez cat 50 but interface of this fixture with nmtb is the same.

CAT 50 CNC Tool Holder Tightening /Storage Fixture | eBay

Last edited:
Thx. Is it impossible or just a bit risky to run Round-shank end mills in ordinary collets without the NP feature? A quick search found no TG100-np collets.
"End mills" b'long Weldon-style "side-locks".

Collets are for odd sized shank general nuisance stuff... such as drills and reamers, mostly.

Taps only if you have nuthin' better.

EG: Tapping head. Floating holder. Ortleib-clan rubber flex cousins.

50 taper is a heavy hammer. Can shatter even a heavy tap, used "directly" in a New York Minute and give back significant change.

For Thermie: OK here’s my tightening fixture, ain’t the deluxe one but if made of some kinda metal it should work for my sporadic usage. Sez cat 50 but interface of this fixture with nmtb is the same.

CAT 50 CNC Tool Holder Tightening /Storage Fixture | eBay

No-eye-deer aka "blind stag" WTF that thing is meant to actually be?
Ebay "titles" are just titles. The goods under them may not work the same way as the words?

Bad black magic or sumthin'?

Ain't the alloy. SHAPE of it is all wrong!

:)

A(ny) Jury-rig is a jury-rig, but what you NEED is here:

DZ Sales CAT50 CNC Tool Holder Tightening Fixture | eBay

And now you see why I cannot be BOTHERED to DIY that sort of goods. Surely not in no "30 minutes" without even a proven drawing.

They are NPTG100. 5/8 and smaller I think you will be fine. Larger you will be ok as long as you don't get carried away. Finishing will be ok, just don't put 10 hp into a rougher and expect it to stay in position.

They are NPTG100. 5/8 and smaller I think you will be fine. Larger you will be ok as long as you don't get carried away. Finishing will be ok, just don't put 10 hp into a rougher and expect it to stay in position.

With a 50 taper back of it? "Carried away" is all too easy to "just happen". Enough mass and rigidity to hide early warnings, and not yer average round-ram Birdport HP back of those.

I'd suggest SK if it is stable collets rather than pull-out or push-back risk one must have.

Ignorant side locks are at least harder to surprise yerself with. No flat on the end mill? Grinders exist.

"End mills" b'long Weldon-style "side-locks".

Collets are for odd sized shank general nuisance stuff... such as drills and reamers, mostly.

Taps only if you have nuthin' better.

EG: Tapping head. Floating holder. Ortleib-clan rubber flex cousins.

50 taper is a heavy hammer. Can shatter even a heavy tap, used "directly" in a New York Minute and give back significant change.

No-eye-deer aka "blind stag" WTF that thing is meant to actually be?
Ebay "titles" are just titles. The goods under them may not work the same way as the words?

Bad black magic or sumthin'?

Ain't the alloy. SHAPE of it is all wrong!

:)

A(ny) Jury-rig is a jury-rig, but what you NEED is here:

DZ Sales CAT50 CNC Tool Holder Tightening Fixture | eBay

And now you see why I cannot be BOTHERED to DIY that sort of goods. Surely not in no "30 minutes" without even a proven drawing.

So Thermie, now tell me in more detail what’s wrong with this shape? I suspect it is either cast Lum-Num or cast iron.

Flickr: Page Not Found

Last edited:

Back