What's new
What's new

Correct terminology

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

English is my second language and I'm trying to find the correct term in English for something.

It is where there is a connection (joint) between two tubes, where one has an enlarged short length of "ring" at the end (either by forming or brazing, etc.) and the other side is attached inside it. What is the name of that larger diameter end "ring"? I'm pretty sure it's not "ring", and "outer part of the overlap" doesn't sound right...

In case it's different, there are two situations.
One is where the two sides are attached e.g. soldered, glued, threaded, etc.
The other is where the parts are not attached e.g. just sliding in.
I don't know if this would make a difference to the term used.

Thanks

Perhaps a "socket joint" (not ball and socket), or sleeve joint.

It's always safest to expand your description to ensure no ambiguity of what you're looking for. English is wonderfully flexible, but sometimes that leads to misunderstandings if not enough supporting verbiage is used.

On big water and sewer pipes, it's called a bell, as in bell and spigot joint, where the spigot is the skinnier side. If the "ring" is a separate piece, that sounds like a coupling. The terms socket could be used for what you are describing if it's integral and not a separate piece.

I guess you could call it a "swage" if it was created by the process of swagging, but I am not at all sure that would apply if it was created by another process, like rolling for instance. And, by some definitions swage seems to emphasize a reduction in size, not an enlargement:

definition "swage" - Bing

The thing about English is that there usually are many words for things like this. Different trades will probably have different words. And different English speaking countries may also differ. If I were writing about it I might call it a "female coupling". But "bell" would also fit. Oh, and "socket" would also be a good one which is perhaps less prone to being misunderstood. And probably many other terms.

It has been my observation that a mechanical feature is whatever the person who drew the print called it on that print.

The word you're looking for is "swage."

I'm going for "swaged"

It isn't always correct - think copper tubing sweat couplings - but it will get the fastest visual reference to what the OP asked.

German may have more precise terms, given they have never minded turning an entire paragraph into a single word, so long as fit for a very specific purpose. "Peckenclacker" for typewriter being but one of the more obvious ones, apocryphal or no, so tubing that's a tight fit into another tube might well be "schwanzimkunt"?

Meah... mought be better I stick to Eyetalian? Less risk of coming home from an overnight adventure friction-brazed and selectively magnetized, anyway.

:)

The female end is called the socket, the male end is called the spigot. In plumbing anyway...

Would that be so funny if it were you who had to deal with that condition?
W

Betcherass it would! Good humour is too often all TF some of these folks have LEFT to call their own!

Got into a heated argument with one Day Job's brilliant IT Manager. Worked together so long I paid no attention to his lifestyle choices - it was an HP 3000 Mark III MPE system software issue, anyway.

Got hot enough to shout a loud "F**k YOU!" at him. He stopped, grinned, let all the anger out of the room, when he said: "Welll.. I'll make it the best you ever HAD!".. and we were both laffin' instead of fighting, 'coz he was a NOTORIOUS "top", and I sure as HELL ain't into any part of playing at that, nor "wide receiver", either one. P***y addict, thanks.

:)

Gots to keep yer sense of humour! Nobody wants to shag a whiner, any "orientation".

Hacker's Laws:

Life is too DAMNED short to drink bad wine, use slow computers, or share a blanket with a bitch.

Last edited:
“Swaging” is the description of a mechanical process, NOT a joint configuration. Usually reducing in nature.
If swaging is the intended method of completing the connection, as is common in copper now, it (understandably) may be mistakenly referred to as a “swage joint” before It is completed by swaging.
I think if it is made from one piece, a “bell” or “bell end” or if short a “bell reducer” is more correct.
Think of cast waste plumbing, a bell end or reducer is nether formed by swaging or joined by swaging. How can it possibly be a swage joint?
If a separate part, it’s a coupling.

Part of your problem is that English is not really a language. It's a polyglot, a pidgin language developed for Anglo Saxons in the south of England to communicate with Viking traders from the north. While other languages try to keep themselves pure, English is the whore of the linguistic world that will accept words from any other language and then jam them into a procrustian framework, an attempt to inflict a Latin grammar on a primarily Germanic language. Compound that with English English, American English and Australian English, which should be considered different languages, and about all you can do is see what term is used in your location.

One time I met a RAF Commander who was here working with McDonnell Aircraft on adapting Rolls Royce engines to McDonnell built Harriers. When I asked what kind of engine it was, he replied "One to one bypawss with reheat." I thought about that and asked "Is that a fanjet with an afterburner?" He pondered a moment and said "I think so."

Bill

Back