Is it cost-effective to significantly reduce diameter of grinding wheels. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, a shop I used to work at had a job that came through from time to time using the waterjet to open up the ID of some grinding wheels.

It was for another local shop who had a cylindrical grinder with some oddball sized arbor that was hard to find wheels for.

They would send half a dozen wheels at a time, and the job came back more than once after the first time so I guess it worked.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd post them here on PM or Ebay them, then buy the one's you need. Not that they can't be resized, it just seems a waste.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any chance someone one using the original size could use them down to your desired size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How long would it take to do that with a Schmidt Narrow Wheel Dresser?

5. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roughly .55 hour.

But with hogging a big diamond .4372 hour.

7. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmm. I've been around and worked with quite a number of very large surface and O.D. grinders in my time. The largest having wheels around 30" in diameter and up to 4" wide. All changed significantly in diameter by the time the wheel went from new to when it was changed for another, like maybe 12" diameter change on the big ones. I have also been around for quite a few wheel Kabooms - never seen anyone get hurt by one. Good idea not to stick your face where the bits will be thrown if the wheel grenades. Every one I've seen let loose the wheel was pretty well contained by the guarding and the table.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had guys talk about a Lumsdm with a big tub perhaps oner a 1/2 thick. segment wheel exploded and shattered that big tub..a chunk of the tub dropped on the guy's toe.and he went to medical...dont think it broak his toe..That was about a year before hired in so did not know much more of the story.

No this is not the model but is an interestong Lumsdm http://www.lumsden-grinders.co.uk/images/96M-4-PIC1.jpg.. ours was called a tub grinder. Yes a UK machinwe but It may have come out of Glasco Scotland..

Perhaps not but it seems I remember the mame plate saying Glasco//? Thomas Lumsden

Worked in a shop where the forman (owners son in law) failed to make tight and blew a diamond blanchard wheel.. that was back with real diamonds so the wheel likely cost over a months pay. Nobody got hurt excent the owners pocke. took a hit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    " ***CAUTION*** No way in hell would I ever think about modifying an abrasive wheel! No way NEVER! "

Huh, what are you talking about... I have a Toyota Cylindrical grinder that takes a 20" wheel. Currently that wheel is about 15" in diameter. Ive been using it for about 10 months. Every day getting dressed .0002-.0003 Inches at a time. Balance is just fine. Wheel is just fine. Contact Mach-B grinding wheel shaping and resizing company. They did some work for me in the past. Happy customer, no affiliation. Mach-B Grinding Wheel Shaping & Resizing
    But the OP also asked about trimming the OD off with a plasma torch, which is what got everybody's attention...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    How long would it take to do that with a Schmidt Narrow Wheel Dresser?

I have one of those small turn the diamond devices, has a lever on the side to turn the diamond with a perhaps index 20 or so turn.. some day Im going to sell all my stuff. Not like this fancy one but only perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 diameter..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    We had guys talk about a Lumsdm with a big tub perhaps oner a 1/2 thick. segment wheel exploded and shattered that big tub..a chunk of the tub dropped on the guy's toe.and he went to medical...dont think it broak his toe..That was about a year before hired in so did not know much more of the story.

No this is not the model but is an interestong Lumsdm http://www.lumsden-grinders.co.uk/images/96M-4-PIC1.jpg.. ours was called a tub grinder. Yes a UK machinwe but It may have come out of Glasco Scotland..

Perhaps not but it seems I remember the mame plate saying Glasco//? Thomas Lumsden

Worked in a shop where the forman (owners son in law) failed to make tight and blew a diamond blanchard wheel.. that was back with real diamonds so the wheel likely cost over a months pay. Nobody got hurt excent the owners pocke. took a hit.
    I'm pretty sure " Lumsden " grinders were made in Gateshead near Newcastle up in the North East of England. Another victim of the crazy economic policies of the 1980's that shut down the vast majority of the once great British Machine Tool industry.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diamond dressers are sort of cheap now.
    Will the machine itself swing it inside the guards. If so why not use the 12?
    Chewing it up on a lathe means abrasive grit in places you don't want it.
    Crush dressing is an art and not something to get into for this level of cost savings. Small mistakes here are big oh-poops.
    I have no problem with letting a automatic or cnc peel this off of a wheel when needed.
    I have never seen a waterjet, laser or other cutter used and would be wary of such.

Not sure where the 10 max comes into play. Just a guard clearance?
    Also you say 3/4 when yours is 1 inch.
    I'll run 1 inch on a teeny Harig 6x12 so wonder what and where you are getting specs from.
    Bob

14. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-J-H View Post
    I would not want to breathe all the dust from doing that.
    Agree for sure, that is why the good lord invented shop vacs and wet dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I'm pretty sure " Lumsden " grinders were made in Gateshead near Newcastle up in the North East of England. Another victim of the crazy economic policies of the 1980's that shut down the vast majority of the once great British Machine Tool industry.

Regards Tyrone.
    FWIW the name Lumsden Grinders Ltd. Is still live. They now trade out of Thetford in Norfolk. Whether they build new machines or not I don't know but they do sell spares and do re-builds.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

qt Carbid Bob [Not sure where the 10 max comes into play. Just a guard clearance?

Whatever size that will fit the guard should be fine as long as the marked RPM is correct.I haven't tried the import diamonds yet, are they good?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Diamond dressers are sort of cheap now.
    Will the machine itself swing it inside the guards. If so why not use the 12?
    Chewing it up on a lathe means abrasive grit in places you don't want it.
    Crush dressing is an art and not something to get into for this level of cost savings. Small mistakes here are big oh-poops.
    I have no problem with letting a automatic or cnc peel this off of a wheel when needed.
    I have never seen a waterjet, laser or other cutter used and would be wary of such.

Not sure where the 10 max comes into play. Just a guard clearance?
    Also you say 3/4 when yours is 1 inch.
    I'll run 1 inch on a teeny Harig 6x12 so wonder what and where you are getting specs from.
    Bob
    The wheel specs are given here in the manual, but I know after reading these posts I should go measure the wheel guard and see if I can’t put in a larger size. I’ll check how wide (thick) a wheel I can use on the same trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67786cf4-d6db-4ad8-bbd3-26dcfc7a2f9b.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    .I haven't tried the import diamonds yet, are they good?
    Diamonds diamond, they work fine for me, fine especially for something like this, if your doing something fancy i don't know if you would ever be able to tell a difference, but certainly a newer pointy Chinese or far more likely Indian industrial diamond will dress wheels better than a old rounded diamond of praphs more noble pedigree.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonmn View Post
    The wheel specs are given here in the manual, but I know after reading these posts I should go measure the wheel guard and see if I can’t put in a larger size. I’ll check how wide (thick) a wheel I can use on the same trip.
    Checked the grinder, the squarish shield ID is about 10.2”, but the depth of shield and arbor should allow wheels up to about 1.5”.

My pedestal grinder mounts a 12” dia, 2” thick wheel, not sure about arbor size but must be 3” or less guessing without removing wheel, and an aluminum adapter if needed would be easy to turn. I could take the grinder outside, and drag one o’ them furrin diamonds y’all discussed, back and forth on one of the 12” x 1” wheels I want to shrink, and not worry about the dust getting on my ways and tables.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonmn View Post
    Checked the grinder, the squarish shield ID is about 10.2”, but the depth of shield and arbor should allow wheels up to about 1.5”.

My pedestal grinder mounts a 12” dia, 2” thick wheel, not sure about arbor size but must be 3” or less guessing without removing wheel, and an aluminum adapter if needed would be easy to turn. I could take the grinder outside, and drag one o’ them furrin diamonds y’all discussed, back and forth on one of the 12” x 1” wheels I want to shrink, and not worry about the dust getting on my ways and tables.

Would a cheap glued diamond chip dresser like the T-shaped Homer’s $10. Tool work, or do I have to buy a single- point one as mentioned, Chinese or Indian, with sharp point?