What's new
What's new

Cost involved in shipping small machine tool from Canada ?.. ..

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Costs other than the freight, on a machine with invoice at 12,000 USD, made in Europe....i.e some notion of the more annoying extras that one would not have to pay if a U.S. purchase, such as freight forwarder, duty and whatever else you can think of. Machine does not need crating.

At that cost I doubt if this applies but in buying old tools from Britain if the item is over 100 years old? there is no VAT tax. I assume this applies to furniture and art as well.
Bill D.

Living in Oregon and purchasing items out of Vancouver BC (two lathes), I can say that in general there was no problem at all if using your own trailer. I can't even remember paying any significant border charges at all.

Canadian border procedures are a dream. The agents are polite, efficient and very clever at profiling you as to whether you are just the crazy machine-collector that you claim to be or something more sinister. They seem to be more interested in seeing if you have weapons than anything else.

I regretfully have to say this but US border agencies CAN be a pain. On one trip I took a trailer to Vancouver BC but never completed a purchase. US border personnel just could not get the idea that I had taken the trailer to buy a machine but the deal was not completed so I was returning empty. I was pulled over into a search area and the agents were proposing getting into the tubes of the trailer because they thought I might have packed drugs in there for the return journey.

I did bring one lathe from BC to the US by freight carrier but this was as part of a standard business run made by the seller. They loaded the lathe on a flat-bed at their BC facility and it was dropped of at their local representative in the US - no charges.

OT response: Sneaking in here, due to closure elsewhere. Milacron, have you checked display zoom status on your 6s caliper issue? Just a thought.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Chip

Back