What's new
What's new

Cost to make a progressive die.

KIMFAB

Stainless
I am currently looking at needing a progressive die made for an upcoming job.

I have started to try making a simple one my own
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/need-advice-making-progressive-punch-229388/
and have gained enough experience to realize that this unit would be way above my pay grade.

What I need is a ballpark figure ( nearest $1000) as to the cost of making a die to punch these parts.
I don't need a firm quote yet but am looking for someone with the time and capability to make this.

The good side:
If this works out it will be paid 1/2 up front and I'll put you up here
Booking.com: hotel Wyndham Grand Desert, Las Vegas, U.S.A. - 25 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!
for two days while we prove out the die with the remainder paid when done.

None of this 120 day nonsense.

http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/forum/FacePlaterra.dwg

Material to be punched will be .063" 6061 T6 or 5052 alum.

Last edited:
Sip
I'm not understanding how this part can be punched in one stroke. Please advise. I will be making 5000 parts at a time with the expected die life to be at least 100,000.

Also this is not a for sure job yet. I need to find out first a ballpark figure to see if it is viable. $2000 ? $10,000? is what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the replies.

I don't do this anymore, but I agree a compound die would be the way to go on it. My brother does still do this, so if you run into any problems getting something made let me know. He also has big presses available if yours can't handle something this size. IOW, you can get boxes of parts ready to go by mailing a PO.

A compound die works as shown in the model someone posted on your other thread. Much cheaper to make, more compact, and has the advantage of not requiring any sort of precise feeding. But on a part this size you most likely can't run it automatic as you'll have to retrieve each piece as it's kicked out of the die. At the qty's you're talking about that's not an issue.

KIMFAB:

The $2800.00 price I gave you in my post was for the square part with the five holes. I later saw the cad drawing that is a whole nother animal.

As for how a compound die works on the bottom you have a punch that looks like the part, on the top you have the punches for the holes plus the die for the outside of the part. In the space that's not punch or die you have a knockout. When the press comes down it punches all the holes as well as the outside of the part. There is a stripper to take care of pulling the stock off of the lower punch. On the up stroke the part stays in the upper die, as the press completes it's up stroke the part is kicked out of the die.

You can run compound dies on auto, but with the quantity you are talking about that wouldn't be an issue.

5000 parts can be run in a couple of hours. As for die life I would expect the die to last at least 1,000,000 pc's

Thanks for the clarification.
On Monday I'll get quantities required and hopefully get a better handle on this. I got the RFQ late Friday and have not had the chance to get details.

I am assuming that the pieces are now being done on a CNC press and with the quantities of 5000 a dedicated die will be cheaper.

Still looking for a ballpark figure. $5000?

If were talking about the square part with the five holes I can build that die for about $2800.00

If your talking about the plate with all the holes that die would cost about $6000.00

The $2800.00 price is close to what it would cost. The $6000.00 price I would have to lay out the die get a quote on a die set punches ect. before I could quote you a firm price.

Todd

Thanks for all the replies. Just got off the phone with the customer and it looks like they don't have enough volume to pull this off.

He is new on the job and doesn't understand yet that dedicated dies are a volume thing.
I explained it to him again and hopefully he'll catch on.

Good Afternoon Wasg,
i came across this thread and read your post and was wondering if you might be interested in consulting on some Progressive die projects. if Not would you get me the contact info for your brother.
Thank you for your time
Chris

wesg,
did you pm me? because i didn't receive anything from you.
if you did please try again
Thanks
Chris

Back