Counter Sinking Questions - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best Countersink by far for an application like this is a Vernon Counter-bit. They have been around for many years. It's a cone piloted countersink with a spade drill type blade that is exposed when pressure is placed on the cone. The cone pilot along with a radial relieved blade increases rigidity to eliminate the chatter. They are made by Vernon Devices.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AimPrecision View Post
    The best Countersink by far for an application like this is a Vernon Counter-bit. They have been around for many years. It's a cone piloted countersink with a spade drill type blade that is exposed when pressure is placed on the cone. The cone pilot along with a radial relieved blade increases rigidity to eliminate the chatter. They are made by Vernon Devices.
    You mean "I make/sell them" ......

Tapping Sequence

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is going to sound jankie, but before I had a whole machine shop in my back yard I was messing around with projects in a small garage and had the exact same issue as the OP. Small bench top drill press with high speeds and absolutely no rigidity. The fix was to place a wood block between the table and base to allow more downward pressure, and then use a cordless drill chucked onto the 1/2" shaft of the motor to turn things slow enough to get the job done. I had to clamp the workpiece to the table to free up a hand to work the cordless drill, but was able to make many 1" countersinks in heavy 4140 plate. Single flute CS give me the best results in light duty setups. Only works if there is motor shaft sticking out above the motor pulley. Make sure its unplugged before you start, and try at your own risk.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jscpm View Post
    Countersink the cone first, then drill afterwards. Do not apply a countersink to an already drilled hole.

wtf ???????????????

5. Likes Bobw, Strostkovy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can toggle the on off button as a try even with cutting fluid which you should use anyway IMO. For the cutters sake.

Get down to about .100 and turn off the speed and let your feed find a non chattering mid range. This is sort of a trick really yet I have used it many times. I only used it when I had no good alternative to get it done. A lot depends on the rigidity of the drill press and the setup. The tool CS should of course be good to start with.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most multi-flute CS should run at about 300 RPM to avoid chatter, single flutes can run faster/better.

Small drill motors are often too fast.

Check to see the screw heads need 45* many are not that angle, eyeball check should tell. 90* and 82* are common.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep in mind a mag drill is about $800 and does an absolutely wonderful job at countersinking.

Just evaluate the cost before you get too carried away modifying your drill press or looking at other solutions.

We do all of our 1 1/4" countersinks on a mag drill stuck to a welding table.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Not sure what countersink you're using but I've had great success with these:

Series Display - M.A. Ford
    Those things chatter like crazy.