Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My personal opinion on all this is that when manufacturing really starts cooking, and I believe it will, you're gonna see used machine prices go to the sky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manufacturing is going to buy new machines? Their view is old machines are someone else's problem? Plus the tax incentives to buy new?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in SoCal and it's been staggering what people have been paying at auctions. Bridgeports and stupid stuff going for premiums where you could literally throw a dart on Craigslist or something and pick up something nicer for less money, plus check it out in person. Some stuff slips under the radar for whatever reason. I definitely agree there is probably some shady stuff that goes on when the prices go up and down and one minute it's showing something at 5k and the next they are down at $500 and it doesn't sell. It's been impossible to go in person at any auctions lately. I honestly thing a lot of people overlook the premiums.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's an auction house I've noticed that regularly has auctions on Bidspotter. The same machines keep popping up over and over again. Sometimes some will disappear, or some new ones will be added. But some I've been seeing repeatedly for at least over a year. The funny thing is that they always appear to sell at the end of the auction. I guess they just keep buying them back. I don't know how they can afford to keep paying whatever their percentage is to Bidspotter... unless they've got a deal worked out with them.
    I actually bought a machine from them years ago. I remember thinking it was suspicious that I got the machine for exactly my high bid. Oh well. I'm still happy with what I paid for the machine. Now I know better, though.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My opinion is that buying anything now for over the odds is dumb......I'm waiting for the post free money period early next year when reality is (hopefully) beginning return to the economy......All the experts are predicting a serious downturn,and I m not going to disagree with them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Didin't read the whole thread, but don't forget abut the D-bags too. I don't know the nitty gritty of it, but we bought a Charmilles 310 from auction once. The owner had a sweet cheap bid on it, and someone kept bidding him up. He talked to the guy after it ended (we won it), and turned out the guy was just bidding (supposedly) because he couldn't "stand" for it to go so cheap... maybe he was in on something, or...?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive seen dealers do that to maintain value of their stock items......One auction I was at ,guy I knew had his 20 something son with him,son started bidding on a truck .....I mentioned he might end up with it...........Nope ,he says,I heard that woman(the buyer) talking on the phone and saying she was going to go to $10k.......so he ran her up.,for the hell of it......There was one regular buyer ,rule was never run him ,or youd wear it...He was very clever at getting on limit bids,then dropping out.........I liked the good old days ,when big buyers would get a ring going ,and get stuff for peanuts......Break the ring,and ..."Is that your car on fire?"

8. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Ive seen dealers do that to maintain value of their stock items......One auction I was at ,guy I knew had his 20 something son with him,son started bidding on a truck .....I mentioned he might end up with it...........Nope ,he says,I heard that woman(the buyer) talking on the phone and saying she was going to go to $10k.......so he ran her up.,for the hell of it......There was one regular buyer ,rule was never run him ,or youd wear it...He was very clever at getting on limit bids,then dropping out.........I liked the good old days ,when big buyers would get a ring going ,and get stuff for peanuts......Break the ring,and ..."Is that your car on fire?"
    Nasty situation here on government items, like late model Monarch ee lathes, they can be boxed, filled and covered with used key boards, and slipped out on the good old POS system.
    I pointed out examples in the past.