What's new
What's new

Creative set ups in bridgeport

cpifer3

Cast Iron
Got any pictures of odd, or one off jobs set up in the knee mill. Ill start with one .

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5,305
I can't remember the weight limit for a bridgeport table but I think it was somewhere 500-750 lbs. Those setups might be pushing things a bit. Especially with the weight over the end of the table and the table way off to one side.

Last edited:
I can't remember the weight limit for a bridgeport table but I think it was somewhere 500-750 lbs. Those setups might be pushing things a bit. Especially with the weight over the end of the table and the table way off to one side.

Notice the hook at the top of the pic. Most of the weight is being supported by that hook attached to a strap.

I dont think I hurt it too bad. The bore I repaired was only an inch or so deep, so not alot of travel going on in the x. The block was also supported with a little tension from the jib crane. Guess I was just happy to finally use that horizontal attachment for the third time in 18 yrs. I guess creative was a bad choose of words.
What's so creative about abusing a machine?

Holy shit Clint. You need to start working on smaller engines. I think your mill is the same as mine as far as the base and table. Manual sez: 990 lbs.
No, that IS creative. You do what you have to with what's available.

I was just hoping to see some different set ups. I always learn a lot by seeing how different people do different jobs. Im usually working by myself, so I don't get to see a lot of other job set ups. That is why I learn so much from everyone on here.

I like to support heavy parts with a die cart. Setting up big stuff in a Bridgeport is pretty easy. You have a work piece and a machine spindle. One of those has to be the spinning thingy, the other has to be stationary. If you are going to machine on an engine block, it's probably too big to be the spinning thingy, so that means you need to find a way to fixture it squarely to the spindle and move the spindle to the work.

Had to make some extended steady rest fingers so the real machinists
could run smaller diameter bars in the big hollow spindle when needed.
If I remember correctly these ended up being about 8"long maybe 10"
just a bit to tall to stand up on the table of mill.
Gosh how they miss me!

Working 046.jpg

Working 047.jpg

Finished product

Working 051.jpg

Working 052.jpg

Back