What's new
What's new

Cross feed nut

29Ford

Plastic
What type of brass should I use to make cross feed nut
( montgomery ward logan lath)

Use bearing Bronze.

While it's a good choice, it's vastly more expensive than 360 Brass. All of South Bend's nut were made from Brass as well as many other vintage machines. Brass will be more than enough.

360 Brass is very machinable and fairly inexpensive, I'd start there.

Size, pitch, LH, RH? If it's a common one then off the shelf and over size "blank" nuts are pretty easy to find from more than a few manufacturer's. You'd have to measure up what you currently have and cross reference that to what those over size feed screw nuts have for dimensions and machining allowances. But that would be the first thing I'd be checking out. Already the proper material and likely more accurate than the average home shop could make.Nook would be only one of many that supply them.

360 brass is a poor choice for cross feed nuts. As Joe said use SAE 660 bearing bronze. Bronze has tin and a tad bit of lead which helps on lubricity in lubricating where 360 does not. South Bend did not use 360 brass for their equipment. It was a grade of bronze casting such as navel bronze, but it was cast. Been away from the "cast" materials too many years to remember the pacific numbers. Ken

Actually 485 Brass is referred to as “High Leaded Naval Brass”. There is no bronze alloy referred to as Naval Bronze.

I did not say that they used 360 Brass, simply that they used brass. The 360 Brass was only a recommendation for an inexpensive alloy with good machinability.

Now, my claims that they used brass is based entirely off of that this is what I was told by a supplier of feed nuts for SBL on eBay, he also claimed to have the prints available for them and that they stated brass. I’m waiting to hear back from him as well as another source for verification. Though I’d like some verification on your claims of Bronze that have a little more meat to them aside from “it’s better”. Show me prints.

Edit: case closed, the exact alloy was 80-10-10 Bronze and never brass. Though if you aren’t running production you could probably use any metal you want that’s dissimilar from your screw and get away with it. Guess i Gotta start making my own feed nuts now.

Yep, 80-10-10 was an old, old designation. Haven't see that used or mentioned in may years! Of course, replaced by the newer CDA numbering system.

High tin-lead concertration.

MetalTek MTEK 80-10-10 Cast UNS C93700 Bearing Bronze

Yeah, it 's like their cross slide feed screws. They appear to be made from 12L14 or 1215, like many other parts on the lathe. Last cross feed screw I made, I used 1144 stress proof. Made a nice screw! I've even made a few from drill rod that is still being used today with no wear on it. The Nut I made from some kind of bearing bronze has about .005" slop from a near zero fit when I made it over 45 year ago. Okay, enough for the rant! Ken

I'm currently making new feed screws for older machines. I make them on order so someone needs a new screw I turn one out for them. Incidentally I also use exclusively 1144 stress-proof. It machines exceptionally well and the hardness leaves a nice surface finish.

Now I guess the guy who's been making my feed nuts (the investment in custom taps would just be astronomical if I wanted to make them myself) might not have been entirely truthful about the use of Brass way back when. Guess I need to find someone with some custom taps willing to make them from Bronze. Anyone know anyone? Offer me something good and I don't mind paying for it. Here's a small album of screws I've made so far. The last is for a 9A without a taper and if Travers Tool would've shipped my involute cutter the day I ordered it I would be done with it already!

Also, fun fact, SBL used 1213 carbon steel in their screws! The print specifically says "1213 or similar". I'm sure some 12L14 got in there too!

Imgur: The magic of the Internet since I can never seem to post pictures, there's no upload button!

Last edited:
I'm currently making new feed screws for older machines. I make them on order so someone needs a new screw I turn one out for them. Incidentally I also use exclusively 1144 stress-proof. It machines exceptionally well and the hardness leaves a nice surface finish.

Now I guess the guy who's been making my feed nuts (the investment in custom taps would just be astronomical if I wanted to make them myself) might not have been entirely truthful about the use of Brass way back when. Guess I need to find someone with some custom taps willing to make them from Bronze. Anyone know anyone? Offer me something good and I don't mind paying for it. Here's a small album of screws I've made so far. The last is for a 9A without a taper and if Travers Tool would've shipped my involute cutter the day I ordered it I would be done with it already!

Also, fun fact, SBL used 1213 carbon steel in their screws! The print specifically says "1213 or similar". I'm sure some 12L14 got in there too!

Imgur: The magic of the Internet since I can never seem to post pictures, there's no upload button!
I am trying to find someone to make a replacement cross slide nut for my Enco lathe #110-2071

Threading bronze ID in 1/2x10 LH Acme being beyond me .....I made a tap for the thread ..........I forgot the old warning of grinding the centre divot away before hardening,and surely the tap cracked in one of the flutes .........anyhoo,not to worry ,it still made some nuts with nice tight threads .....so all was well.

I made one from Delrin about 7 years ago, it runs on a 1144s/p screw. I would absolutely do it again, albeit a little differently.

The feed screw feels soft when knurling, I think the nut is moving around. To remedy that I'd probably do a better job of mounting it.

Back