What's new
What's new

cryogenic treatment of drill bits

seiner

Cast Iron
I first heard of cryogenic treatment of metal back in the early 90's when a local jet boat operator experimented with treating ss impellers.

I stumbled across this video yesterday. I've watched quite a few of this fellas video's and have been quite impressed.

YouTube

In a former life, non retirement, we experimented with cryogenic treatment of drills.
We gained very little from the treatment as far as increased tool life.
Theoretically it was a valid method, but in reality it was a marketing gimmick.
We did see some benefits on other types of materials and applications.
Too many years since, couldn’t tell which materials.

In a former life, non retirement, we experimented with cryogenic treatment of drills.
We gained very little from the treatment as far as increased tool life.
Theoretically it was a valid method, but in reality it was a marketing gimmick.
We did see some benefits on other types of materials and applications.
Too many years since, couldn’t tell which materials.

Some drills might react differently than others, IIRC retained austenite amount varies quite a bit in high speed steel depending on hardening temps and exact alloy.

I first heard of cryogenic treatment of metal back in the early 90's when a local jet boat operator experimented with treating ss impellers.

I stumbled across this video yesterday. I've watched quite a few of this fellas video's and have been quite impressed.

YouTube

I just watched the video. Lots of 1/2 truths and misinformation.

Basically if your tool has retained austenite in the heat treated structure, cryogenic treatment can convert that to martensite. The closer to 100% martensite you get the better the strength and toughness. An example of where it would help is D2. If your tool steel already has a full conversion to martensite, cryogenic treatment is a waste of time and $$.

I recall hearing something about the cryogenic process being done to musical instruments (brass) as well. It was also mentioned at the time that the whole thing was a gimmick, since the improved sound quality could be explained by the thorough cleaning and TLC that went into the instrument to prepare it for cryo.

However, there was a notable improvement in the microstructure of those drills (according to that guy's single case). I don't know enough about non-ferrous metals to discard the possibility entirely. Anyone know what might go on inside the alloy structure of brass and bronze? Occasionally brass instruments are made with phosphor bronze or other copper or silver based alloys, too.

Back