What's new
What's new

Cushman Super Spacer rotary table

Desertdog

Plastic
I picked up this 9-1/2" Cushman super spacer rotary table last week. I or the seller was not familiar with it. He had a Troyke R-12 that I bought and it was kind of a throw in.

It looks like it may be a rebranded Hartford or another Hartford line.

Can anyone tell me about the operation and how the lever function works. Looks like it was made in a faceplate and chuck version. Can a chuck be put on it or is it part of the assembly?

If a manual is available that would be great.

CUSHMAN SUPER SAVER 1 (3).jpgCUSHMAN SUPER SAVER 5 (2).jpgCUSHMAN SUPER SAVER 3.jpgCUSHMAN SUPER SAVER 4.jpgCUSHMAN SUPER SAVER 2.jpg

I pulled the back plate off and it looks like the masking plate is a 3 position. The plate measures 6-13/16" OD, 3.255 ID .167 thick. Are these a standard size plate, available anywhere?

If I don't have any luck finding them I may just draw them up and try cutting one on my cnc plasma table. If I can't hold the tolerances close enough I can send them to a laser guy.

IMG_3538.jpg
IMG_3537.jpg

You don't really need to hold any tolerances... It's a masking plate. The only purpose is to block the indexing pin from dropping into slots you don't want it to. It doesn't actually do any locating.

I have a Hartford spacer and it looks identical to yours. Pretty simple piece of equipment and no manual is really needed. As eKretz said, the removable plates are to blank off the detents you don't use, which assists speed and prevents mistakes. I have them with 2 gaps, 3, 4, and 6. All will divide into 24, which is the number of detents in the master plate.

Thanks for the input. After I pulled the back cover it looks pretty simple. When I was looking at it with the seller I thought the lever was to advance it but it just releases the master and mask. So at $100 it looks like a good deal. I found someone today with some NOS mask plates, wants $100 for the set 2,3,4,6,8,12. I'm thinking I would like to put a 3 jaw chuck on it. Looks like a pretty slick tool for most of what I would do.

I just spent the past year rebuilding my Index mill and Sheldon lathe so after that experience I didn't want to find something that explodes into 100 pieces before I can take a picture or find a schematic.

Back