What's new
What's new

Custom Cardboard Boxes?

Machinery_E

Titanium
Do any of you use custom cardboard boxes? I have some products that I am making it would be awesome if I could get some boxes made up with my logo on on them, and the size to fit each product. However, this is totally new to me, so trying to dig up info of min order amount, apprx. cost, any tooling costs, who to try calling (printing shop?) etc.

Thanks!!!

Company I worked for before used Victory Packaging somewhere in OH as they had small charges for tooling/min runs. You can give them a call and see.

I just switched to Corrugated Cardboard Boxes | Shipping Supplies | Shipping Boxes | Packaging Supplies

They have better pricing than i had with Imperial Packaging.

I looked into custom boxes at Imperial and set-up was expensive unless you are doing a big volume.

I have found it's much more cost effective to get a standard size box close to the size i need and use peanuts to make up the volume.

Also, I have switched to folding mailer boxes over standard boxes. They use no tape and seem stronger IMO.

caspian

Where you at in Ohio? I use A Kobak Container in Hinckley. Talk to Jerry Dolff. Tell him I sent ya. I do their machine repair and use their boxes. Yes, they can put printing on the boxes.

I inadvertently used custom boxes. At the time I was remanufacturing large numbers of locomotive braking and reversing switch contacts. Wrapping for shipment individually was time consuming and the the customer had to unwrap them. St. Louis Paper and Box worked up a package with cardboard inserts punched to hold the parts. The inserts came flat with the openings punched and scored to fold in the right places for support. The result was a very professional package with a laser printed label on the identifying the part so the customer could warehouse them in their boxes and inventory them at a glance. Unfortunately, that business came to an end and I wound up with a lot of left over boxes. I suppose the box designer optimized the container for my parts, but they were 14 1/4 X 7 7/8 X 5 1/8. When I tried to sell them, I found that I had paid 4 or 5 times the price for a standard box about that size and people were going to give me than less than the standard price. I just kept them and use them whenever I need a box.

The setup served well for a number of years, so I can't really complain.

St. Louis Paper & Box
3843 Garfield Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63113

Tel 314-531-7900

St. Louis Paper & Box - Packaging Materials - Boxes - Tapes - Cushioning & Dunnage - Plastic Films - Bags - Strap

Ask for Luanne. Don't be put off by her hillbilly accent. She is about as country as they come with no apparent higher education, but she gets right on a job and gets it done.

Bill

Custom boxes are expensive. We did a cost reduction last year and found it was cheaper to use more Insta-Pak than it was to stock 4 additional sizes of boxes.

You'll have a tooling charge for each size of box. A couple of hundred to over $1K depending on box size, complexity, and layers of corrigation. The the silk screen charge. Then you have the set-up charge for making your boxes. This can be a couple of hundred for a small order to nothing for a large order.

I've got a buddy that sells a product. He buys plain boxes, uses Insta-Pak, and then stencils his logo on the side. He has his stencils made from stainless on a water-jet. He ships anywhere from 1 to 10 boxes a day.
JR

I use custom boxes to fit a product much like 9100 describes. York container in York PA makes them for us. There are thousands of box makers in the US, there should be one within driving distance for you, there are about 5 near me.

I recently bought some low production box making machines to make in process boxes for shipping parts to plating and heat treat etc because the setup charge on just a few is too high to get them made. I have an air/manual machine I don't need and will be selling if you are interested - about $1500, makes the cuts and scores so you can fold them up and glue them together.

One of my customers in the print trade buys the slightly more expensive but darn sight nicer white outer boxes. Same as normal corrugated but the outer skin is a white not brown card. He then hand stamps them with a 8" stamp hand cut out of soft neoprene. Makes a surprisingly large stand out difference to plain boxes and looks darn professional. His logo lends its self to being stamped at a sorta 30 degree angle though so getting it square is not even a issue. They only probably go through a few hundred boxes a month though!

ordinary boxes are called RSC [regular slotted cartons] and there are not tooling charges, the more you buy the cheaper, a small shop would do 100 for you for a decent price. Printing plates are expensive, but set type is free. So if you just need a PN or your co name in plain type, no charge. Getting into custom die cuts and plates gets pricey fast!
I find ULINE is competitive for often up to 200 pieces or so and they use a real good quality board.
If you want fancy graphics, print them separately and tip [glue] them on.

Wow, thanks guys! I am in SE part of the state, so will likely have to have them shipped to me. Thanks for the leads!

One of the things is its pretty low volume, about 100 of each box size should be good for me for awhile. The parts are firearm barrels I make-so it takes a long narrow box. Something along the lines of a jewelry box, or one of those boxes that has a lid that fold down and tucks in would be downright awesome!

Mud, thanks for the offer of the machine, but I think right now as long as someone could do them at a reasonable cost, we'll go that route.

I'll have to try to get in touch with some people and see what I can come up with. Its encouraging to hear this is possible! :)

Thanks again!

I would look at Uline, they have lots of long cartons. RSC and die cut. Fast shipping and like I said good quality. I have gone through carton sourcing 100s of times, so I know what I speak.....

I make a laser cut Aluminum or Titanium frame coping/fret/jewelers saw that takes a lot of space in a box. I tried all of the various flavors, and settled on a 12" pizza box. They are super cheap (about .50cents ea), made from recycled materials, and are amazingly sturdy when paper taped tightly. I ship them literally around the world by USPS priority mail, and have had only one that failed (they drove over it with the truck).
To secure the frame in the box, I gang saw egg flats into individual cones and place one on the handle. The entire package weighs 12oz, and ships anywhere in the states for about $6.00.
The cost of packaging can eat you alive.

Lee (the saw guy)
knewconcepts dot com

One of the things is its pretty low volume, about 100 of each box size should be good for me for awhile. The parts are firearm barrels I make-so it takes a long narrow box. Something along the lines of a jewelry box, or one of those boxes that has a lid that fold down and tucks in would be downright awesome!

The box you are describing will be die-cut rather than a RSC. Your best bet if you cannot find a close enough stock box through U-Line, xpedx or other supplier will be to talk to an independent corrugated company. Many of the independents are willing to do small orders. You would probably end up buying the die and paying a set up and run charge on each order. You would also most likely end up paying for a lot of waste as the sheet they run through their diecutter may not be a good size match for your box. Be prepared to pay several dollars a box for something that is custom.

100 boxes isn't even a small order for many box companies. Some box companies will run 100 pieces on a sample maker rather than putting it on a production machine.

I used to work with an integrated paper company and what we considered a small order was a truck load. Most of our customers purchased several truck loads a week.

here is an example of a RSC 4 x 4 x 60 inches, $1.70 each when you buy 100
MODEL
NO. INSIDE DIM.
L x W x H PRICE PER BOX (SOLD IN BNDL. QUANTITIES) BUNDLE/
BALE QTY. ADD TO
CART
25 100 250 500 1,000+
S-4555 4 x 4 x 60" $1.82 $1.70 $1.44 $1.38 $1.25 25 / 500 Add to Cart

But Sami .....Don't you want a second career here in the USofA as a federal worker ?
They drive right hand drive vehicles....you'd feel right at home...:D

Back