What's new
What's new

Custom extrusion costs

Cole2534

Diamond
What can I expect to pay for a custom extrusion? Axial cross-section looks something like a 'C', approx 4" high and 3" wide, 1/4"-ish thick, 7075 alloy, 12' long.

Thanks, Cole

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Off the cuff, but for a tool that size, I would guess $1500 for the die, and $2/# for 5000# of 6061.
Then you would need to add for 7075, but you will need to find someone that does 7075 as I doubt that most doo?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

been 20 years but it was 2000 or 2500 for the die, had to buy 1000 pounds at a time, it depends on the circle size of the extrusion. bigger exponentially more.

Probably more expensive die for 7075, but less poundage as more expensive material.

T0 sheet, bend to "C", harden?

Or look to rectangular tubing, cut one side off. You'll get some distortion, so prepare for that.
I know nothing of heat treating AL, so this may be an option.

The idea is a camera mount. The part would mount to the bottom of the cam, reach around the edge over the top and then connect to a mount.

Prototype will be machined and bolted but that's not what I'd want for a production item.

I know nothing of heat treating AL, so this may be an option.

The idea is a camera mount. The part would mount to the bottom of the cam, reach around the edge over the top and then connect to a mount.

Prototype will be machined and bolted but that's not what I'd want for a production item.

You don't need 7075 for that, you'd be better off with a formed piece of 1/8" 6061-T6 sheet. Use a .5" corner radius for the form dies, should have no or minimal bend cracks, and it should be stiff enough if reasonably wide.

You did not say how deep, but let's say 2" -- that makes the blanks ~24 in^3, so $6-$7 for material, and something like 30 seconds of roughing and 30 seconds of finishing machining get to the C-shape. I don't know if your extrusion would be net, or if it needs cleanup. If it's net, you wouldn't need finishing time.

So, if you expect to make fewer than like 200-400 (depending in extrusion die cost), machining would likely be cheaper than extrusion. More than that, and it gets interesting.

You said you wanted 1/4" walls so bending would be tricky.

Cutting one side off of 4x4 square tube might work though (if I have the C--shape envisioned correctly). Could be relatively a PITA to cut off one side, but probably there is a fixture that makes this easy and fast.

Regards.

Mike

What can I expect to pay for a custom extrusion? Axial cross-section looks something like a 'C', approx 4" high and 3" wide, 1/4"-ish thick, 7075 alloy, 12' long.

Thanks, Cole

So, you don't need 7075.
You don't need 12' lengths.
And you don't have near the volume to get any extruder interested.

This is why we have a habit of proding everyone here about the end product required.

Yeah, cutting up some 4" sqr tubing - if you can even find that - sounds best.

Otherwise, getting a fab shop to break it up for you would be good too. They would likely want to use T3, but ....
You may want to leave the door open for a broken (bent - fabbed) steel product that could be much thinner for same app.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah, cutting up some 4" sqr tubing - if you can even find that - sounds best.

Cole, If you're wanting some, I do have a 8' length of 4" x 4" x .250 wall aluminum tubing. Not sure if it is 6061 or 6063. It's been on my shelf for over twenty years and has a layer of dust and some discoloration.

If you can use it, let's make a deal

Cole, If you're wanting some, I do have a 8' length of 4" x 4" x .250 wall aluminum tubing. Not sure if it is 6061 or 6063. It's been on my shelf for over twenty years and has a layer of dust and some discoloration.

If you can use it, let's make a deal

Remember, it's vintage, therefore worth more. Even better if it's "distressed"...

Back