What's new
What's new

custom reamer for plastic needed

surplusjohn

Diamond
I have a problem with a new rotationally molded HDPE part. if you have ever worked with rotational molding then you know that tolerances are problematic. anyways, we could not avoid designing a fitting that relies on a consistent ID, vendor thought they could do it, but they cant, so i have to come up with a simple way of machining the ID. This is a step fitting, tapered id for female fit to vacuum hose cuffs. Major ID is 2.45 " the minor is 2.3 range. we would be removing up to .060 of the diameter max.
question is, do such beasts exist? a long shot. or does anyone here make such things?
alternately, i have to figure out how to make a reamer for plastics. I am thinking of something that looks like a 3 blade spade bit, i can laser cut pre-hardened steel and grind a negative rake on the edge.
BTW, work holding is always a problem with these parts,

it seems that the molder should be able to route this, but they don't seem confident that it will work, so I am looking at alternate solutions just in case.

i am pretty good at designing around the short comings of rotational molding, but you cant always avoid going straight down the angry hole.
thanks

John, a pic of the part and a few dimensions would be a great help, as my experience with plastics has taught me they don't always do what you want or expect them to.

John, a pic of the part and a few dimensions would be a great help, as my experience with plastics has taught me they don't always do what you want or expect them to.

Opposite of my experience, I can easily predict what my reamers will do. If the hole is dimensioned .500 +.0005 -0 and I use a .500 reamer it will ream under sized. If it is dimensioned .500 +0 -.0005 it will ream over sized. EVERY DAMN TIME.

I have a problem with a new rotationally molded HDPE part. if you have ever worked with rotational molding then you know that tolerances are problematic. anyways, we could not avoid designing a fitting that relies on a consistent ID, vendor thought they could do it, but they cant, so i have to come up with a simple way of machining the ID. This is a step fitting, tapered id for female fit to vacuum hose cuffs. Major ID is 2.45 " the minor is 2.3 range. we would be removing up to .060 of the diameter max.
question is, do such beasts exist? a long shot. or does anyone here make such things?
alternately, i have to figure out how to make a reamer for plastics. I am thinking of something that looks like a 3 blade spade bit, i can laser cut pre-hardened steel and grind a negative rake on the edge.
BTW, work holding is always a problem with these parts,

it seems that the molder should be able to route this, but they don't seem confident that it will work, so I am looking at alternate solutions just in case.

i am pretty good at designing around the short comings of rotational molding, but you cant always avoid going straight down the angry hole.
thanks

I see no reason this can't be routed and routing should be the way forward. I worked for a rotational molder for about a year and they were more than capable of this and did it on a constant basis. Fixturing might be problematic but necessary. We did replacement parts for Boeing aircraft where new parts were scarce, like the FA-18 and older aircraft.

Depending on your rate of taper; that sounds like an NPT pipe thread reamer.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your diameter falls between 2"NPT and
2-1/2" NPT.

You might have a cutter grinder reduce a 2-1/2" NPT reamer to your
size and taper.

They are commonly available in a "back-spiral" style which would
work best.

petersen

Just spitballing here, but I have to ask: Can the part be turned?

That is, whip up a set of soft jaws for a lathe chuck- aluminum would be sufficient, I'd think- and turn the ID to whatever taper you need? A CNC would of course be ideal, but even a manual lathe with a good taper attachment should be able to do it.

Making a set of soft jaws would likely be easier- and cheaper- than trying to make a custom reamer.

Make wide "pie slice" jaws, and turn them to nearly the exact OD of the part, and you shouldn't have to worry too much about distortion.

Doc.

Doc, good point, the part could be turned, but i dont think the vendor has that capability. but if i was going to turn it i would use an internal skiving tool. probably not the way it will go, but spit balling is always worth while.

routing with a draft bit seems to be the obvious way, but they are trying to avoid that for some reason. I am often in the position of having to second guess a vendor. I like to respect our vendors' skills, giving them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing, but at the same time I am reading tea leaves to try to anticipate what they are missing or simply have wrong. when i dont do that i get in trouble. Several months ago on a different project, i had a part that i wanted to die cut but was doubtful that it could be done so effectively, the vendor said no problem, even when i pointed out my concerns. 2 months later they said no way will this work. that required a design change that made a major change to the product's appearance which caused marketing changes, etc. So i tool them at their word but the vendor just didnt give it any thought.

Back