What's new
What's new

Custom Way Cover / Replacement Way Cover

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Anyone ever made ( or have made ) a custom way cover?

Looking for GOOD ideas. Not interested in halfassery.

Some Romi turning iron ( G10/15/20 and maybe others ) have a solid way cover behind the turret. They dealt with this by putting a tunnel/hump like cover extending off the side of the machine enclosure. Romi is a good company and built ridiculously solid machines in my experience, so I am sure that they had their reasons. ( and I don't care what they were ) However, this strikes me as uncharacteristically stupid in its execution. A collapsing cover would have saved a significant amount of floor space and because we are splitting hairs to make do what with we have until finding a new home, it is bugging the crap out of me. I could really make use of that space were it freed up. Sounds fantastic, but it is what it is.

I've already had the "tunnel/hump" off the machine a few different times during maintenance activities, so I know for a fact that it is not necessary, save to accommodate the solid cover that extends out of the machine enclosure when the turret is sent home.

So, the question is has anyone made or had made a custom way cover? A collapsing/overlapping cover would be the ideal, but I'm sure it's more work and money than is worthwhile on an older machine. ( despite it being insanely accurate and stable throughout the days ) I'm thinking a soft, accordion or bellows type cover would be the perfect solution, here. But how does one get an accordion or bellows cover to conform to the typical slant bed style?

Not interested in removing the "tunnel/hump" and letting the sheet metal way cover shoot out into space when necessary for various reasons, not the least of which is safety. ( there is also the whole "plowing into the wall" issue )

Do they sell bellows in that configuration, that one could trim for lengths and make end plates for? It sure would make an old, valuable, beloved machine more loved...

I know exercising my google-fu will return a few places that advertise custom way covers. I'm looking for people THAT HAVE DONE IT and have some insights, admonitions, recommendations, and/or lessons learned from doing so.

Thank you.

EDIT -
I should have been more clear...

I understand that proper metallic, telescoping way covers, bearing brass/rubber wipers are going to be cost prohibitive.

I am referring to synthetic / rubber / neoprene / fabric / whathaveyou type accordion/bellows type covers, and inquiring about making them for / adapting them to a machine, or having some made for same.

I can make the end plates / attachment plates simply enough.
/EDIT

I've straightened out a few sets of telescoping way covers on bigger machines and there's a lot of work in it.

I think like pretty much every bit of precision sheet metal stuff there's quite a bit of skill and a little bit of black magic that goes into it.

At the end of the day I'm sure it's not a bad deal to pay the pros to make up what you need. I've got quotes before and the numbers usually exceed the value of an older machine.

So, no, I haven't made any from scratch, but I have the equipment to do it all in house and I would rather not put that kind of investment in time and materials into any of my old stuff.

I would not go for a way cover that is difficult to remove. You want to remove it and wipe the ways with oil and a rag to clean off the worn metal.
Otherwise the worn off particles will accelerate the wear of your precious ways.

I should have been more clear...

I understand that proper metallic, telescoping way covers, bearing brass/rubber wipers are going to be cost prohibitive.

I am referring to synthetic / rubber / neoprene / fabric / whathaveyou type accordion/bellows type covers, and inquiring about making them for / adapting them to a machine, or having some made for same.

I can make the end plates / attachment plates simply enough.

Knowing your abhorrence to offshore stuff this post will probably get dumped posthaste..but let me say this. I needed custom neoprene way covers for a small CNC machine I built. I went to Alibaba with a request for way covers. I was immediately inundated with replies, which I had expected. I chose one company, sent them CAD drawings of what I needed and was supplied a quote.

I signed on the line and the way covers arrived in less than 10 days. They were perfect in all regards and the price was absolutely unbelievable..less than a dinner out at a nice restaurant.

This route isn't for everyone, but it sure worked well for me.

Stateside way cover manufacturers price their products out of the range of common sense...IMHO.

Stuart

Knowing your abhorrence to offshore stuff this post will probably get dumped posthaste..but let me say this. I needed custom neoprene way covers for a small CNC machine I built. I went to Alibaba with a request for way covers. I was immediately inundated with replies, which I had expected. I chose one company, sent them CAD drawings of what I needed and was supplied a quote.
I signed on the line and the way covers arrived in less than 10 days. They were perfect in all regards and the price was absolutely unbelievable..less than a dinner out at a nice restaurant.
This route isn't for everyone, but it sure worked well for me.
Stateside way cover manufacturers price their products out of the range of common sense...IMHO.
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thank you. Yes, I do have that affliction. Don't I?

I'd like to think that I'm not unreasonable about it, though. I accept that there are some things that are impossible to source CONUS. ( Televisions, computers, etc... ) Too, there are some situations where patronizing the local economy is simply just not possible. Other times, the sources have become abusive because of it.** In those cases, I'm at least willing to listen and weigh the pros and cons.

** -
I'm referring to those times where the materials and time are roughly equivalent to $1x and the company is trying to charge $20x or more, simply because they're being predatory. I'm willing to pay more for the ability/option. I'm just not willing to be taken advantage of/anally raped for the effort. I knowingly spend 50% - 90% more on Gear Tooling because of the companies that I patronize when I know for a fact that money could be saved by purchasing chinese made tools. Just cannot do it.

But, back before we became able to make our own Gear Shaper tools, I was willing to purchase chinese made ones when the American companies were charging 800% - 1500% more. And that's in addition to 3x - 6x the lead time! That was just predatory. Combined with the need to satisfy the customer's deadline, I was willing to entertain the idea. Luckily, I figured it all out in the nick of time!

To get a outline of what might work for you, go to McM and type in "Bellows", then click "Flat". You'll see a variety of styles and sizes, some of which may be useful for your guillotine replacement.

Pictures?
I've often modified the standard flat bellows type with a air sander on the underneath to fit on machines.
Specials are very pricey.
Neoprene or such types sometimes (often) do not fold nice so you have to add guide rods down bottom so that they will not "buckle or bow".
For long life you have to grommet these guide holes.
I try to work with the standard Mc-Carr stuff and hack it where I can.
Bob

To get a outline of what might work for you, go to McM and type in "Bellows", then click "Flat". You'll see a variety of styles and sizes, some of which may be useful for your guillotine replacement.

LOL. That's a fairly accurate description! Thank you. Pretty close to what I am seeking, too. The concern that I have is that the cover needs to have angles to it. There's a vertical section, approximately 12" high, a ~37.5° degree bend that is approximately 20" long, and then an opposite bend back to vertical that is ~ 3" high.

Romi-Way-Cover-1.jpg

I am wondering if that is something that can be reasonably manufactured for us. Alternatively, I'm curious if that stuff you direct me to is able to be manipulated, cut, reattached ( glued? ) to accomplish similarly.

Thanks.

I may not understand what's needed but when dealing with any type accordion style way cover one has to take into consideration all the chips etc that will fill the pleats and lead to emanate disaster in short order..hence the smooth sliding style cover.

Stuart

I may not understand what's needed but when dealing with any type accordion style way cover one has to take into consideration all the chips etc that will fill the pleats and lead to emanate disaster in short order..hence the smooth sliding style cover.

Stuart

For sure. You need to be careful about brushing off the bellows, especially the horizontal surfaces and when using sticky coolants. As well, make sure travel can't tear the bellows at max, or crush them at min (especially with trapped chips).

Stuart

It's for behind the turret. Not much happens back there. There is some chip migration, but it is nothing really to be concerned about, very much.

Romi-Way-Cover-5.jpg

Romi-Way-Cover-2.jpg

Romi-Way-Cover-4.jpg

Romi-Way-Cover-3.jpg

Back