What's new
What's new

Cutting .026" Diameter 304SS to Length

turbotadd

Aluminum
I've got a job that requires a bunch of .026" 304SS cut to .125" long. The customer supplied a ~4' length of the .026 material.
How would you go about cutting to .125" lengths? I've considered using side cutter, then grinding the ends square, but seems like there must be a better way.
Thanks!

Hi turbotadd:
It depends a bit on how accurate you need them to be.
The very best way is to cut them on the wire EDM.
The process involves building a jig to hold them but you can cut hundreds at a time, burr free, dead nuts square, to within a couple of microns with zero pain and almost zero effort if you're willing to build the jig.
If you have very few to do, you can make the jig pretty simple...a glorified Vee block is all it really takes.
If you have hundreds a vee block rapidly gets to be a royal PITA so the jig gets more elaborate but way less pain to run.

If you just need them OK but not great you can make a little grinding jig and just load the jig, snip the wire with side cutters then grind to length on the surface grinder.
You might be able to hit +/- 0.001" without too much pain doing it that way, and if you don't have a surface grinder you can harden the jig and then just hit the ends with a fine file until the file skates on the jig.
It'll eventually beat the snot out of the file, but they're cheap enough that it may not matter to you.

If you have to get rid of the burrs though, you're royally screwed...you'll spend way more time on the burrs than you will on the cutting.

The recommendation was made to cut them on the lathe.
This is certainly possible but it is the hardest way to get them accurate.
The problem is if you stick them out far enough to face the end and then cut the wire off at -0.125" the facing operation will fight you at every step and you risk chipping the corners of the insert.
You will also have a cutoff tit to deal with.
If you try to rough cut them and then face each end, you have to make some kind of stop to hold the second side of each one at the proper length so you can just rifle through them.
That's not easy to do but it IS possible with a little chuck like a Sherline 3 jaw.
I know of no other 3 jaw that will grip something this small, and a collet is a non starter because you cannot control the length well.

Bottom line: if you've ever tried handling pieces of wire 0.026" diameter and 0.125" long, you'll quickly find out how hard it is to work with if you have normal sized fingers.
Half of them might well end up in the chip pan, never to be seen again, so budget that reality into your price.
Or farm them out to a wire shop if there are enough to justify what it takes to wire cut them.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

we cut .018 dia wire every day.

If it needs to be accurate, burr free and there are100-300 pcs, I would do it as follows.

set up a pin vice with a .020 drill shank cut to fit in the bottom, and leaving appox .135-.130 to the top.

Clamp your dumore with a thin cuttoff wheel in your bench vice.

simply cut up next to the snout of the pin vice, loosen and dump the work pieces in a tray, rinse and repeat as needed.

Then surface grind a small peace of 4140, or the like to your target dim. and drill a small hole thru it. Say .055 or so.

stand as many of your small wires in the hole as will fit and sand on your surface plate with 1000 grit paper on ONE side, then flip and finish sand them to length, using a flat pusher block on the top to force them flat.

Burr free, and prefect legnth every time.
BTW, you will need a set of optivisors, a good pair of pointy tweezers, and a lot of patience.

Good luck

Hi Thunderjet:
That's a very cool way to do it...I've never even thought of trying it that way...probably because I'm spoiled by having a wire EDM so I've gotten mentally lazy.

Besides, since I have the hammer, everything now looks like a nail to me.

Thanks for sharing that...I have a new tool for my toolbox today because of you.
It's much appreciated!

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Thunderjet:
That's a very cool way to do it...I've never even thought of trying it that way...probably because I'm spoiled by having a wire EDM so I've gotten mentally lazy.

Besides, since I have the hammer, everything now looks like a nail to me.

Thanks for sharing that...I have a new tool for my toolbox today because of you.
It's much appreciated!

Cheers

Marcus

You're welcome.

We do crap like this all the time. And it's usually +/_ .001 and zero burr.

Glad I could help.

Thanks for the ideas guys! Wish I had an edm...
+/- .003ish is what I'm shooting for. Qty. 30 (well more like 45-50 to anticipate loosing a bunch on the floor)
I especially like the .020" part stop in the pin vise.
I might end up using side cutter to get close, then pin vise in a spindex on the tool cutter/grinder using the part-stop tip.
Get all of them cleaned up on one side, then dial in the length and finish the 2nd side.
I made one last night, and yes .026 x .125 is damn small.
Thanks again!

Back