Cutting a 6" thick granite surface plate? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Thats what this is, top from some sort of machine, holes, base & all. Been sitting outside for a while, hardly pristine. Is $200 too high for this?
    I paid $150 for a 32x28x6" granite base from a Zeiss CMM. Works pretty good for what is it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of things. Diamond blades used to be surface set diamonds brazed on. Now they are matrix set, smaller diamonds embedded in metal. When cutting with a matrix blade you want a slurry in the cut not just water. The slurry wears away the matrix embedding the diamonds exposing new ones and keeping it cutting. The idea of sharpening with an abrasive wheel is just wearing away the matrix which the slurry will do. I did quite lot of diamond core drilling.

I put the 1500 lb odd shaped sailboat keel in a van all by myself using a floor jack, $20 worth of concrete blocks, some pieces of wood, and some pipe rollers. I levered it up on the wood til the 4" high jack fit under then just kept stacking blocks until it was above the truck bed with one set of blocks about a third the way under. Backed the truck under that end. Lowered it onto the rollers resting on the truck and removed the first set of blocks. Backed the truck up until it was almost all the way in. Set it on a second set of rollers and pushed it the rest of the way by hand. Got it out the same way.

3. Likes richard newman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was the one from 'Cutting a Surface Plate into Straght Edges' that Richard referenced. I actually cut up two of them. Both Scherr Tumico, one around 4" thick one around 2.75". I took them to the local 'In Home Stone' counter top shop for cutting. It averaged around $15 or 20 a cut, but I probably could have talked them down. They had a large CNC saw that was probably a 16" blade. They could probably cut 6" easily. I had the plates in the back of my truck on cribbing, they picked it with the forklift. Came back in a week (when I got around to it), and they were sliced and sitting on a pallet ready to go.

I keep meaning to offer some of the extra pieces for sale. I have both 35" long and 23" long. Really need to get those cleared out for some space.

PM me if anyone wants a piece! Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Show is coming up soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    A couple of things. Diamond blades used to be surface set diamonds brazed on. Now they are matrix set, smaller diamonds embedded in metal. When cutting with a matrix blade you want a slurry in the cut not just water. The slurry wears away the matrix embedding the diamonds exposing new ones and keeping it cutting. The idea of sharpening with an abrasive wheel is just wearing away the matrix which the slurry will do. I did quite lot of diamond core drilling.
    There are some electroplated blades for speciality work like glass or tile cutting but it's not right to suggest that blades were once electroplated and have been taken over by sintered matrix segment. General purpose concrete/stone blades have always been sintered blades.