What's new
What's new

Cutting data for Tapered End mill

Harri89

Cast Iron
Hi!

I side mill to ~ 20mm depth after end mill have roughed out the pocket, at the bottom i machine a pocket for TCMT11 insert.

I have a TCE brand 7 degree tapered end mill with 2.5mm tip and 10mm shaft diameter.

How to determine RPM and FEED PER TOOTH?

I am machining 42crmo4 (4140)

Hi!

I side mill to ~ 20mm depth after end mill have roughed out the pocket, at the bottom i machine a pocket for TCMT11 insert.

I have a TCE brand 7 degree tapered end mill with 2.5mm tip and 10mm shaft diameter.

How to determine RPM and FEED PER TOOTH?

I am machining 42crmo4 (4140)

Use speed and feed data suitable for the 2.5mm tip and flute count, but since you're making a insert pocket you can slow the feed a bit to get a better surface finish. I'd make at least one spring pass too. Since you'd like the entire pocket to have the same level, I would take 25 to 50u off the bottom at the same time to ensure there's no steps when done.

The pocket where the insert pocket is, has also 7degree walls, but its larger at bottom than the top of the insert pocket.

So when the taper endmill is side milling, its using 2.5mm to close to 10mm diameter. Feed suitable for 2.5mm and rpm for 10mm dia?

Feed suitable for 2.5mm and rpm for 10mm dia?

That's how I do it, .but be prepared to slow down the speed and / or play around with the feed - IME tapered end mills can do funny things, often with only a few rpm one way or t'other making all the difference.

As always YMMV

Sure, if you're cutting that tall a side (but you've undercut the bottom?), then as Limy suggests be ready to adjust if you're not happy with the surface finish. In fact, if you can try a practice cut of the geometry in a piece of scrap first it might save you some headaches if it doesn't give the result you need.

Heres a picture of the pocket. Its first roughed with straight end mill to near top of the insert pocket. Then the sides are finished to size with tapered end mill and after that the insert pocket is machined

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-164629__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-164629__01.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
Its a picture from my cad model, ive made now one part and feeds/speeds need some tweaking and need to change few dimensions.

Back