What's new
What's new

Cutting gears/hobbing

spacely

Plastic
Hello, new here.
Fascinated by gear cutting as we have several machines at work. Can anyone steer me in the direction of being educated in this form of machining, books, classes etc. Anyone in SoCal care to chat?
Watching some of the machines, it looks very close to broaching. Also have hobbing machines.
Any info, experience greatly appreciated....

Gears are a deep hole to fall in to and there aren’t many shortcuts when it comes to producing quality gears.

Yes, but it's a topic you can really sink your teeth into.

:D

Thought I'd pitch that one out there and see if it gets a response ... oops, did it again. Purely accidental, I assure you. The pun module in my brain must be stuck on again ... speaking for all of us who are afflicted by the pun disease, I hope you'll give us Fellows a break.

Okay, okay, I'm done. I promise. Can you tell I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning?

Dudley and Buckingham are my two immediate go-to's. Ironically, most of TheGoodStuff® that I have ever found that was not in those two, was in pamphlets, papers, and historical data put out by the early manufacturers. AGMA used to be really good, ( even if you did have to sign up or be a member of a participating company ) but not so much any more it seems. It really just depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to actually go.

Frankly, the basics are covered by everyone and their brother and a few of the hobby level books are actually quite good. Older Machinery's Handbooks are choc full of data, too, if one bothers to look.

Fellows had some stuff, Barber Colman had some stuff, Gleason had some stuff, Cincinnati had some stuff, you get the idea... I even discovered some excellent resources in an operator's manual for a Koepfer at the time. ( basically every manufacturer had put out some manner of informational book or pamphlet )

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of exactly what makes a good gear and a bad gear, those are numerous, deep, dark rabbit holes covering materials, set ups, tooling, heat treating, surface treatments, tribology, etc...

Noise is its own little niche of study, too...

And then there all the white papers...

Don't forget Asymmetrical Tooth forms, either...! :eek:

Start with Ivan Law and see how far you want to go. May want to give member Dan from Oakland a ping and see if he's got time and inclination to assist. I know that I am happy that my Apprentice has interest in the niche. I've given him unrestrained access to my library and have arranged for more training to accommodate it. The knowledge base is shrinking quickly.

Thank you all for the info.
I have seen some prints we have at work but I am curious to know where to start. Example: if I need to make a 32 tooth spur gear how do i get started, what’s the blank Diameter, pin size etc...
I have asked the highly experienced older machinists at work but it’s like a top secret question, so I am on my own.
Once I learn how to make a print, I need to learn how to setup a Hobber or Shaper machine.
Too bad apprentice programs are no longer around 🙁

The book "Practical Gear Design" would be a great place to start regarding the basic calculations for blank size, tooth proportions and the math behind these calculations. Its not real theoretical- more of shop floor format. Go on ebay and buy an operators manual for a Type A/ 16-16 or #3 / 6-10 gear hobber. Copies are cheap and you can read how to set up a basic mechanical hobbing machine and make the calculations necessary for the change gears or how to look them up in a table.

Too bad your coworkers are not willing to share any info- suppose they might feel threatened by your questions. If that's the case, there are a lot of gear shops in the LA area- you might go see if they are looking for someone with interest.

Back