What's new
What's new

Cutting Mitered Ends on Pipe

CatMan

Hot Rolled
I've got some manifolds that I need to make up. They will be made from 3 1/2" pipe.

I've got a DoAll 500SNC saw to cut the miter joints. Luckily all the miter joints are on a 45 degree angle.

The ones where I'm drawing a blank are the ones where each end is mitered. Sometimes the mitered ends are perpendicular to themselves too.

So how do you keep your angles lined up? Tack a piece of angle iron to the pipe before you start? Thus establishing a "plane" you can refer back to (as in measure or level off of)?

Do you eyeball a weld seam on the pipe and go from that?

Lots of the searches I do turn up results to cope pipe. I'm not looking for that. I can make the cut, I'm just not sure how to hold the orientation of the pipe. Ideas welcomed.

Well, there are a few ways to do it depending on how fussy you want to be.

You can time off the first cut with a square or protractor.

You can make a block that slides over the pipe with a set screw. Load the pipe,square up the block and make the cut. Then time off the block on the next cut.

You can buy (or make) a tube rotation gauge that will accurately index the tube so long as you can find a spot to leave it clamped on between cuts. Just search tube rotation gauge in a search engine. They are super simple, and handy to have.

If your saw is well leveled, you could also just get away with using a torpedo across the first cut in a pinch I would think. Though that will take a bit of finesse if you need great accuracy.

I used to do a lot of pipe cutting... :eek:

By far the best method is put two pipes above each other and tack weld the ends together and put a few tacks every couple feet to keep them from twisting. To do opposing angles, just flip the pipe upside down.

Now you're twice as productive and dead accurate. :D

Not long ago I had to make up some pipes with three mitered joints in them. They were not as big as yours but they were 2". I tried pre-cutting the miters and just couldn't get them to fit good enough to mig. I ended up c-clamping the pipes with the proper angles to my welding table with the ends blocked up to come level with my chop saw. I then ran the blade into the joint between the two and kissed both ends just enough to match them up. It worked quite well.

I have a Miracle Point clinometer. It has a pointer in the center of vee, with a 360 degree reading clinometer. You just align the pointer with a center punch mark. Simple to align, or index the pipe to a degree.

Flange Wizard has a similar tool. If you aren't familiar with Flange Wizard's stuff for pipe, you need to look at their site.

You can do the same thing with a centering head and square head from a square set. You just align the center edge of the rule with a punch mark and use the bubble in the square head for plumb.

I do a lot of long shafts that have to have keys in them that are in line.
Some longer than I have the travel for. Also some with keys that are off
at some other angle.

I use one of these. Starret angle meter.

Starrett AM-2, 0 to 90deg Magnetic Angle Meter - AM-200 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Just use something that can clamp onto the pipe that has a flat surface and is
magnetic. When doing smaller shafts, I use one of those little 2" tool makers
vises.

Back