What's new
What's new

Pope Spindle, (Taft Peirce), rotor removal to get at bearings.

laminar-flow

Stainless
I originally posted in the Taft Peirce Machine forum but someone informed me that it was probably a Pope spindle so I'm sticking it in general.

When I replaced the bearings almost 30 years ago I made a drawing of the orientation, back to front on each pair, and returned them to this orientation. After many years of decent but not great surfaces I began to investigate and found, from the bearing manufacturer, that the pairs should be back to back on each end. The front ones were easy to re-orient but the rear ones require removal of the rotor. My 30 year old sketch shows it removed but I can't seem to get it off this time. Does anyone know how this rotor, right or left thread, taper, etc. is removed.

And, would anyone know the correct orientation of the angular contact bearings in a spindle like this?

Thanks

Attachments

• TP SPINDLE.jpg
    TP SPINDLE.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 179
I've never had a TP spindle apart but this certainly looks like the drawings in the TP parts manual I have. What does the motor housing look like?

Thank you for showing this, I have always been curious about the Pope spindle, I see from the photos its a much more complicated spindle then most others. The bearing loading device with the multiple small springs is interesting, where others use a belville washer. There is a lot of parts to those spindles!

Back