Cutting threads on an older TOS lathe. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sir,

It's your thread dial. Unscrew top nut on thread dial and choose the correct dial for this application. See #17 and #18 scheme post.

Bob....not the cat.

2. Likes jhruska liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnotthecat View Post
    Sir,

It's your thread dial. Unscrew top nut on thread dial and choose the correct dial for this application. See #17 and #18 scheme post.

Bob....not the cat.
    Thanks, Bob, but I’m not having trouble with the thread dial end of things. I’m working with the gear set that connects the head stock to the threading box. Guess I haven’t explained myself very well. Apparently I have the gear set installed that allows me to cut metric threads but not imperial. I will need to replace a 127 tooth gear in this set with a 120 tooth gear. It looks like it will be quite a challenge to find one, too.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Set correctly the TOS lathe enables the operator to disengage halfnuts when threading both metric and inch threads.
    Attachment 322036
    John
    Thanks, John. I have all this documentation and have gone through it carefully. You are correct but I do need to change a gear in the set between the head stock and the threading box to go between metric and imperial threads.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    A 127 or any other gear can be used as an idler,just so as its not driver or driven,or in a compound train......and the multitude of thread pick off gears and two meshing gears is one of the charming results of metric threads being unscientific,and invented by the French.....An imperial leadscrew needs but one gear and one indicator,because inch threads are all logical.
    The 127 tooth gear is not an idler in this gear set.
    Your opinion on metric verses imperial is noted but I’ll leave that alone.
    Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the threading chart there should be one set of changewheels for metric and one for imperial threading
    But those may be different for a lathe with a metric leadscrew or a imperial leadscrew
    With a metric leadscrew there must be no 127 gear in the changewheels (beside a idler) when cutting metric threads
    With a imperial leadscrew there must be no 127 gear in the changewheels (beside a idler) when cutting imperial threads
    Most of the time it is not simply changing the 127 gear for a 120 gear More gears need to be changed in general

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On that tos you only change a handle between metric inch, you only need to change gears for cutting dp/module, Imo it could be that something sheared and the lead screw slips, or that the op those not set the levers correctly.
    For 1/4" lead 30-60-127
    For 6mm Lead 30-60-120
    I also doubt if there is any difference in the threading gearbox between metric to inch lead screw except the input change gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan_b View Post
    On that tos you only change a handle between metric inch, you only need to change gears for cutting dp/module, Imo it could be that something sheared and the lead screw slips, or that the op those not set the levers correctly.
    For 1/4" lead 30-60-127
    For 6mm Lead 30-60-120
    I also doubt if there is any difference in the threading gearbox between metric to inch lead screw except the input change gear.

I second this! We never had to change gearwheels between English and metric. Maybe someone monkeyed with the gearing.

Bob....not the cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnotthecat View Post
    I second this! We never had to change gearwheels between English and metric. Maybe someone monkeyed with the gearing.

Bob....not the cat.

Thirds here!
    Never touched the gear train unless it was for the spindle Hi-Low range.
    Just set the quick change and verify that the thread dial was set correctly.

Post a photo of your lathe so we know if we are talking about apples or oranges.
    John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Thirds here!
    Never touched the gear train unless it was for the spindle Hi-Low range.
    Just set the quick change and verify that the thread dial was set correctly.

Post a photo of your lathe so we know if we are talking about apples or oranges.
    John
    Norman machine has photos of one they have for sale near here:

TOS 17.7" x 78.7" Metalworking Lathe, SN45B - Norman Machine Tool

"Older" meahh. Modern enough and with QCB as manual lathes go.
    Not some open-geared "change wheels" only cone-head dinosaur.
    Last edited by thermite; 06-06-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes
    My story should have started with "If there is not a handle to change fom metric to imperial "
    My Graziano SAG12 does not need to change gears eighter
    I have worked on a SN40 but never did any threading on it

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aa Yuh termite yuh Fireball XL5 can do shitz, butz itz leak oil!

Aside from that, your racist post using the Monarchist name does show the cozy relationship you have with Don Thomas milicron! You run you mouth real good there, explains a lot.
    here is the important part! It turns out he is the one that will pay the price for the racist bully termite, obviously being a racist himself.
    Since milicron refuses to curb racism, the first is youtube, no room for a racist web site having anything to do there!
    Then the advertisers, the will fall one by one reading you "the termite" racist post, along with your racist circle jerk here "your friends that jumped in on the racist fun"
    termite, you threatening me financially using other members here, and not to mention the cop moderator Texas Gunsmith, will have some explaining to do for his homophobic harassment's of me, and the protection of you termite, and also being a bully on a racist web, when they do it from Texas, they certainly do it big.

The ball is in milicrons court now, we will see!
    And lets not forget the one racist chump that uses his real name Cal Haines, that the guy that helped you trash the Monarch forum, and allowed you to drop my family member names, so as you could intimidate me.
    You chumps should have stuck with machine work!
    The president gave a great speech, saying that white supremist are the greatest threat to the country, and this forum is a racist site for profit.
    If you and the other two are not gone by Monday, then I begin, and I dont stop!

What was that you said about Asian people? "Cant leave them in the sun too long", That was a real knee slapper! Yoouse a Funzi kind of guy!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    Yes
    My story should have started with "If there is not a handle to change fom metric to imperial "
    My Graziano SAG12 does not need to change gears eighter
    I have worked on a SN40 but never did any threading on it

Peter
    The HBX-360-BC I have is sort of "different". By any measure.

That said, MANY of Europe's better lathes have had Inch/Metric capability "built-in" for a VERY long time.

I suppose actual trade statistics are "out there", but what with the US, UK, and other "British Commonwealth" nations exporting into Europe, there was a need more than just rarely to make "Inch" parts for repairs.

Or to manufacture "inch" goods to be exported, Europe to US, UK, Commonwealth, "etc.".

So the makers simply provided for that.

No drama. JFDI. It was one more "selling point" in a highly competitive market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 1978 or 79 at a job shop where I worked the owner bought two TOS lathes new, paid to have them set up on very substantial foundations and leveled to perfection. Because the old lathes had been scrapped for awhile we had a large backlog of late work with customers screaming like their balls were in a vise. One of the lathes was rather large, I don't remember the sizes exactly, but roughly a 50" swing with around 20' centers. Well, when the first job was to be threaded the same thing happened that is troubling the OP. A large and very expensive shaft with much machine time already on it was almost scrapped because the threads didn't match the charts chosen thread. Now sirs, let me tell you that in all my days I don't think I've ever seen a man so angry. He had just spent well over $100.000 for three TOS machines and couldn't cut a simple thread after many man hours trying to figure this out.

TOS finally sent a technician whom probably will never forget his encounter with a very pissed owner George. The repair, if memory serves me, included gear changes in both headstock and on the thread dial. It seems that the lathe gearing had been set up for an English lead screw but built with a metric one.

I don't know if this will help you but TOS was selling these lathes all over the world and mix-ups do happen when different systems are used simultaneously. Just look at NASA's screw-ups.

Hope this helps.

Bob....not the cat.
    Last edited by Bobnotthecat; 06-07-2021 at 08:38 AM.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post

and not to mention the cop moderator Texas Gunsmith, will have some explaining to do for his homophobic harassment's of me, and the protection of you termite, and also being a bully on a racist web, when they do it from Texas, they certainly do it big.
    Apologies to the op, I wanted to address his concerns privately, but apparently his inbox is full.

To be clear, this forum freely open to any and all walks of life that wish to participate. Also harassment of any kind is not permitted. I was wholly unaware you were gay until you just came out and revealed that to us.

In these modern times I think you can be encouraged by our society being more accepting and understanding of all types of people, including in these forums. We would freely and openly encourage you to live life knowing you have our support. You can also take pride in knowing that even in our industry we are seeing acknowledgement from companies such as Kennametal on Pride Month:

33.jpg

While this forum does have a couple of sub-sections that politics and social issues are occasionally discussed, this forum is predominately a machine/machinist forum. You are welcome to contact me regarding your concerns, and I will do my best to alleviate them. For more focused attention on dealing with your daily stresses I would highly recommend local support groups.

Another alternative would be a variety of fabulous online support groups. A few examples:

Discover a support system ready to show up

LGBTribe – The Tribe

Gay Men's Challenges Support Groups Online | DailyStrength

17. Likes jhruska liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many gay machinists does it take to cut a screw on a TOS, is the real question here.

Sorry. Carry on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Long Tom View Post
    How many gay machinists does it take to cut a screw on a TOS, is the real question here.

Sorry. Carry on.
    "Back in the day" some while BEFORE Jimmy Hoffa was (apparently) stuffed into a steel barrel...

Query: How many Pittsburgh, PA Local Teamster's Union Members does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: SIXTEEN!!

Extenuation and Mitigation:

Youse got some sort of PROBLEM wit' dat'? Not for long you won't!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The spew has nothing to do with the topic started by Thewrenchtech so I went to "My Settings" and "Edit Ignore List" and
    Ta-da
    Good Bye donie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

8 tpi to 9.5 tpi is 1.18 ratio.
    Something in the gear train needs to be 1.18 smaller or larger in number of teeth ..
    or 2 gears changed need to create this change.

40/1.18 == 33.89, so probably 34 teeth would work.
    Is there a 40 tooth gear somewhere ?