Cutting transmission gears on a budget
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Cutting transmission gears on a budget

    Hello everyone,

    I am interested in cutting a set of spur gears (ie. straight cut gears) for my cars transmission. I've done a lot of research online on the topic of cutting gears, most of the information I come across talks about the use of very large and very heavy shop equipment (ie, 4,000lb, 6ft tall, 220v 3 phase machines). While these machines can be purchased 2nd hand for about $1k~ and converted to run on single phase 110v, I don't have the room for one of these machines.

    My question to you guys is, could I get away with a 400lb~ Benchtop Mill/Drill to cut transmission gears? I'm most concerned about deflection while cutting. I don't expect to cut each tooth in one pass, if I have to take it slow while cutting that's OK.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. George, Utah
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    366
    Likes (Received)
    531

    Default

    Hello!
    Before the crap hits the fan, read this: Machinery Discussion Guidelines

    This thread will be locked, and the comments that come before that will not be kind. Don't take it personally. It happens all the time!

  3. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,578
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What color is the car ?

    Please post a pix or 2

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4156
    Likes (Received)
    3663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What color is the car ?
    Please post a pix or 2
    Dammit Doug... you owe me a coffee and a keyboard.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Thanks Gordon! I'll correct course.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2179
    Likes (Received)
    3395

    Default

    RC car? Probably yes.

    Road going car? Probably no.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    1,905
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    582

    Default

    Definitely,first OP wants to cut gears on a budget,then he wants to cut them on a mill(drill)....indecision is inimical to good governance,or indeed a satisfactory outcome.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The warm desert of Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    1,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    329
    Likes (Received)
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TX_to_AZ View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am interested in cutting a set of spur gears (ie. straight cut gears) for my cars transmission. I've done a lot of research online on the topic of cutting gears, most of the information I come across talks about the use of very large and very heavy shop equipment (ie, 4,000lb, 6ft tall, 220v 3 phase machines). While these machines can be purchased 2nd hand for about $1k~ and converted to run on single phase 110v, I don't have the room for one of these machines.

    My question to you guys is, could I get away with a 400lb~ Benchtop Mill/Drill to cut transmission gears? I'm most concerned about deflection while cutting. I don't expect to cut each tooth in one pass, if I have to take it slow while cutting that's OK.

    Yes you can or could cut a gear with a mill drill...
    And that method will teach you things you can not imagine.

    The thing is thats kinda like cutting an acre of lawn with a pair of scissors. Yes it can be done... but do you wanna?

    I am not an expert.... I guess you might say Im a tolerated retired hobby guy. On this web site there are honest to GOD experts that make their livings cutting gears. So my advice aint worth all that much. But then again you didnt pay anything for it...

    I have cut several hundred gears over the years. And Im a card carrying novice compared to the guys here!
    The mill I bought to cut gears is a Rockwell 21-100
    It fits in the area I have and uses the taper 30 tooling I already have. It is small... sometimes too small... It does an okay job. I can always tell when Im making a too heavy cut.... it walks across the shop...

    Something like this could do what you want with a minimum of heartache...
    if you are in Phoenix gimme a yell.... who knows I might be of some help on your quest for a gear....

    And no Im not for hire.
    Last edited by lazz; 09-18-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: If I culd only speel

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    1,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2654
    Likes (Received)
    431

    Default

    And then if these gears are for a real road going vehicle what about heat treating etc.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    1,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnEvans View Post
    And then if these gears are for a real road going vehicle what about heat treating etc.
    If he's making them in a mill-drill then may as well heat treat them with a torch

    One question for the OP tho - I hope you aren't thinking that spur gears are better because they have less friction, or some such nonsense ? Because it's not true. You'll be wasting a lot of effort if that's your goal.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    RUSSIAN FEDERATION
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Why not?
    You need a dividing head (index plate can be made on cnc nowadays) and set of disk cutters.

    After cutting, you will have to do lots of hand work - defurring, chamfering, polishing.
    Do not heat treat whole stock! Find someone with induction heater (high frequency AC) and ask to heat treat just 1/16" depth of teeth.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,578
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kiriba-ru View Post
    Why not?
    You need a dividing head (index plate can be made on cnc nowadays) and set of disk cutters.

    After cutting, you will have to do lots of hand work - defurring, chamfering, polishing.
    Do not heat treat whole stock! Find someone with induction heater (high frequency AC) and ask to heat treat just 1/16" depth of teeth.
    Pssst....Yes the OP might be able to...just not here.

    Please refresh your reading on the "sticky" up top dealing with "discussions".

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Beaumont, TX, USA
    Posts
    4,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    171
    Likes (Received)
    1500

    Default

    Gears have been made using a WIDE variety of processes and tools. Early clock makers filled they by hand and made clocks that performed quite well. The big auto makers use very expensive machines that can hold tolerances in the range of millionths of an inch in order to be able to make gears that can take the extreme stresses of road vehicles and last 10, 20, 30 years or more.

    You have not even said if "your car" is some kind of model vehicle or a full size, vehicle that you ride in. That would be helpful. Also, it would be very helpful to know just why you want to make these gears. Are you building this transmission from the ground up? Are you trying to change some stock gears for some custom ones for a particular reason, like getting a different ratio?

    Frankly, if you think you are going to improve a transmission in a street vehicle that was designed and built by a major auto maker, I think you have a hard row to hoe. Not impossible, but hard. And you will not get the level of precision that a multi-million dollar machine is capable of with a machine that only costs a few hundred dollars. At least not without an extraordinary amount of skill - the type of skill that only comes with decades of gear cutting. But have fun.
    Last edited by EPAIII; 09-20-2019 at 04:03 PM.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •