What's new
What's new

Cutting V grooves / serrations in stainless bracket

Modcraft

Plastic
Can any body help me as to which way is most practical to make v grooves in this 5 mm stainless steel bracket. The grooves only need to be 0.5 mm deep. I did ask a metal stamping company and they said they could not stamp grooves in 5 mm stainless. Also I will need a minimum of 10,000 units / year so it needs to be efficient.

Tim

Attachments

• Resized_20190429_151018_1521.jpg
    Resized_20190429_151018_1521.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 149
Ganged cutters is a classic. Old-school you'd use a fixture the length of your X travel with a quick clamping feature. Load up 15 or 30 parts, raise table, start spindle, cut in one pass, drop table, rapid reverse, stop spindle, unload, repeat. If you were serious about it, you'd make your fixture so the operator could unload/reload half the parts while the spindle was busy cutting the other half. Modern occupational safety guys would have heart attacks...

Besides ganged cutters, you should ask a couple more stamping companies. Make it clear you just need embossing or coining on one side, not full-depth bending or displacement of the part.

In addition to stamping, stuff like this is sometimes done with what you might call linear knurling. Cylindrical tool with V protrusions would be rolled over the part surface under substantial pressure. This was a job sometimes done on shapers if the volume didn't call for dedicated production equipment. Load a new part every stroke of the ram. 0.5mm depth on stainless might call for too much pressure, though.

I had a 4in long by 3in diameter cutter on horizontal milling.

The cutter was specially ground for the type of V groove I needed. (pitch)

Look like the pic but with the v grooves,

Made all the grooves in one pass

Attachments

• d422_angle3.jpg
    d422_angle3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 54
At my first job (Cutmore Tool) We had a small broach machine to broach such in un-hardened tool steels. It was kick-but fast but I don't know how SS broaches.

This is not the same machine but and idea of what machine might do well.
Ty-Miles Modl MBLD-2-18-150 Vertical Hydraulic Single Ram Surface Broach Machine | eBay

Agree a form mill cutter is easy to have made.

Even a dressed grinding wheel and a surface grinder..but I hate grinding SS.

Back