What's new
What's new

Cutting Very Small SS wire

sneebot

Stainless
I need to cut (trim) a lot (think 15000 or so) of small (0.01" diameter)
stainless steel wires. I've done some trials with a TIG torch which
leads me to believe that cutting them with some sort of power supply might
work well for this application.

Has anyone cut small wires in this way? What type of equipment did you use?
I was using somewhere between 2 and 15 amps (setting on the welder).

Are they straight wires and you need to cut them to a certain length? Can you bundle them together? I would do that and then waterjet them between some support plates. If you packed them in tight it should be very clean.

These are coming from a wire manufacturer of sorts. I do not have control over the supplier--
I'm only being given that they need to be shortened.

Are they straight wires and you need to cut them to a certain length? Can you bundle them together? I would do that and then waterjet them between some support plates. If you packed them in tight it should be very clean.

Yes, they are straight wires. They are arriving on tape and because of some of the other operations that need to occur I'd rather not untape and then retape.

While still on the tape, could they be fed by rollers between two, thin abrasive wheels? Can the tape be relied on to provide some guidance? If so, this could be an unattended process except for loading the next reel.

You can set it up on a Bridgeport with a shaper .if the lengths are the same run them along a stop and chop them off with a bit ground like a chisel . If you play with a winder and strokes per minute it should go pretty quickly.
Good luck
Pete

could you use a shear? Clamp them down and shear them in a sheet metal sheer. Sounds like the tape would help with this, and the clamp could have a .005 ledge to catch the length...

Accuracy? Allowable burr? What about a pair of good scissors while still on the tape? And how did you trim the samples with the tig torch?

What about getting the original manufacturer to make the right parts?

Back