What's new
What's new

D1-3 Back Plate

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys I have two 8" chucks one is made over seas which is(I believe) a D1-3,the other chuck is an 8"Cushman with a thread on back plate which I no longer have that lathe.What I like to do is find a back plate that will fit the Cushman so it work on the D1-3 spindle.But the Cushman it has a taper on the inside to line up the back plate with the chuck so I'm thinking that may be a no go,cause I just can't find one.So my next though is maybe machining the original back plate to fit,maybe drill and tap for those 3 camlock pins.I'm somewhat new at this so machining skills are limited,but have access to a mill.Any ideals/thoughts to locating a back plate or where to find the Camlock pins?Thanks for help

Attachments

• chuck.jpg
    chuck.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 94
  • chuck2.jpg
    chuck2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 145
  • chuck3.jpg
    chuck3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 106
  • chuck4.jpg
    chuck4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 93
I've done this once on a 6" Cushman 4-jaw chuck that had a D1-3 integral back. Machine the back plate to catch the inside edge of the D1 taper. A 1/4" boss is all you need. Next, drill the back plate to accept 7/16-20 Socket Head Cap Screws. The heads do not need to be countersunk into the back plate if the thickness is not there. Ken

Edit: IF your worried about the void left from not using a full length nose for the D1 taper. Make you a ring to mount to the face of the back plate to take up the space and give you a more realistic D1 nose if you like.

Chuck back was originally A-5 - see number tag

Looks like it has been drilled, tapped and counter bored for 4 of the six D1-5" cam lock pins. If the counter bores are 3/4", this is even more likely

Existing A-5 thru holes - which will be counter bored on face of chuck - are on a 4.125" diameter bolt circle - per ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses.

They are for 7/16" socket head cap screws

Back