D1-4 Backplate for used chuck
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default D1-4 Backplate for used chuck

I wanted some two piece jaws for my older Bison 6" chuck. The price of new is very high ( almost cheaper to buy a new chuck ) but i found a used chuck with jaws that look to never have been removed and cleaned up like new. The price I paid was cheap as i only wanted the jaws and the seller didn't know much about the chuck. When I cleaned up the chuck it turned out to be an old FPU Bison 3205 standard duty chuck but it looks to be almost unused. The long story here is to ask if that chuck is worth spending for a D1-4 back plate and if so, is there a good alternative to Bison. If the chuck were a steel 3505 I believe the condition would warrant a Bison back plate. I'm not sure the cast iron 3205 is worth a $300 back plate but want others advice. Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also keep looking for blank D1-X back plates that can be machined to fit your chuck. They appear to be pretty scarce. If others know of a source, please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its odd that backplates are so expensive in the USA.

In the UK semi-finished D1-4 backplates are around £100 - £150 from reputable industrial suppliers like Rotagrip, for example TOS 160 mm is about £135. Rotagrip will sell you a fully machined Pratt Burnerd one for under £100. Which is a proper bargain.

Bison seem expensive at over £200 for a semi-finished 160 mm.

Bottom feeders can find no name D1 backplates for rather less but the quality may be iffy.

Clive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Clive......good info!