Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default D1-6 camlock spindle nose removal

Hi, apologize for the question which I assume is pretty basic.

I bought a 16" lathe for my machinist at work to replace a Clausing 16" lathe that trashed its clutch.

Bill comes to me and says his Royal collet closer won't work because the tapers are different. We checked the spindle taper and it appears the new lathe uses a MT6 as does the Clausing but they have different gauge lines.

At this point it is faster and simpler to just swap the camlocks over if that is possible? Is it and how would one go about removing the entire camlock from the spindle? Not entirely obvious how it's held on there but I'm not a machinist, I just pretend like I am haha.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Camlock may be part of the spindle. or as Ive seen usually is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the "new lathe" was made in Asia it probably does not have a Morse 6 taper. It has a metric 6 taper which is different.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a jfk # 72 adapter that is a 6 morse taper that might have a different gauge line.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by redlee View Post
    The Camlock may be part of the spindle. or as Ive seen usually is.
    Interesting. I looked over both lathes and they look identical in terms of the camlock. I can't believe they would make them one unit but hard to tell. If you remove the cap screws that retain the cams, it looks like it is screwing into different metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Laverda View Post
    If the "new lathe" was made in Asia it probably does not have a Morse 6 taper. It has a metric 6 taper which is different.

Bruce
    Thanks, it's an older lathe not made here. Probably the only machine among 100 B&S screw machines, radial drills etc that I can't name. Thanks for the tip I'll measure the spindle more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmaster1 View Post
    I have a jfk # 72 adapter that is a 6 morse taper that might have a different gauge line.
    I'm interested I'll send you a PM with questions.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The D1-6" (or any other size) is most assuredly part of the spindle.

The removal of detail parts is all that it possible - such as the cams and their retaining screws
    Last edited by johnoder; 02-02-2016 at 07:12 PM.

7. Likes Derek Smalls liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds pretty definitive. Guess I will work on the adapter idea instead.

Thanks gents

Post Thanks / Like

Lathe makers have been using one piece forged flanged spindles for at least 100 years. Scan from 1916

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...alog/LSpg9.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ran into a somewhat similar problem in a lathe that looks a lot like that one. Manual said the spindle was an MT6 taper.

First issue is that that only means angle. Not actually the size that would show up anywhere on a dead center or the like. My particular spindle hole was 2.155" at the gauge line. The base of a MT6 is supposed to be 2.116" but in practice I couldn't even get the very bottom of an actual MT6 center to fit in. So while the taper was supposed to be MT6 it didn't actually mean you could fit in any MT6 tooling.

My moment of huge cursing came when I measured the taper. MT6 is as I recall 1,29'36", mine measured 1,23'10". So I ended up making an arbor to fit the 5C collet adapter and hard turned it to size. Was about .0008" per side and required moving the back face of the adapter forward so the gauge spacing was right but then all was good.

So if your collet adapter is the wrong size hope it is bigger and you can turn it.

Or even easier if time is of the essence call Valencia at JFK Precision in SoCal and they can make you one to your spec for a few hundred bucks and you will be up and running in no time without having to mess with anything. They have a library of thousands of spindle sizes he said so could make anything if you told him the make and model of lathe. Just a thought.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't get the pic to open so I'll just have to do the best I can

1. AFAIK, Clausing or Colchester never made a 16" lathe. 15 or 17"(newer are 18")since the 60s.

2. The 15" Clausing had a D1-4 spindle nose, the 15" Colchester had a D1-6, and the 17" Colchester had a D1-8 spindle nose. They don't interchange!

3. The internal taper of the spindle nose went from 4, to 4 1/2 and 5, but only on the 15" machines. The 17" lathes don't have an ID taper.
    JR

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sailah View Post

Thanks, it's an older lathe not made here. Probably the only machine among 100 B&S screw machines, radial drills etc that I can't name.
    Post up a few pics of the entire lathe. You may not be able to identify it, but I bet someone here probably can.