What's new
What's new

D1-6 chuck plate made backwards.

mark costello

Stainless
I ordered a small D1-6 adapter to mount a small chuck on a Colchester.I am making it to use soft jaws. The adapter came with the holes on the wrong side of the studs. Is that something new?wrong.jpg0113202039-01.jpg The picture on the left is the new adapter, the right is a chuck with the right adapter.

Isn't it for the chucks that get attached to the back plate (thread is in the back plate) vs the ones where the back plate is attached to the chuck (thread is in the chuck body)?

That aside, you can always re-machine the holes or machine new ones, of course.

Ya, I do believe those are incorrect.

Depending on your situation, may be just as easy to redrill them proper instead of returning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think he is saying to adjust the pins you have to dismount the chuck from the plate to get to the allen head bolts. Not a big issue if it is only used on one machine. But use the same plate on another machine and the pins may have to be unscrewed a turn or two.
Bil lD.

Yeah, somebody made a mirror image. As a result, the pins are rotated so their notches cannot engage with the spindle nose camlocks. I confess, it took me a moment to realize why having the retaining screws on the other side would be a problem: because they set the rotation of the pins and the pins require a specific orientation.

It looks like the small lock hole is on the wrong side of the pin, so when the pin lines up with the small lock hole the cam slot is pointing opposite the spindle cam.
I would return it.
Where did this QC masterpiece come from?
Just a side note that you do not really need the locks, especially if you dont remove the chuck often.

Yeah, somebody made a mirror image. As a result, the pins are rotated so their notches cannot engage with the spindle nose camlocks. I confess, it took me a moment to realize why having the retaining screws on the other side would be a problem: because they set the rotation of the pins and the pins require a specific orientation.

It looks like the small lock hole is on the wrong side of the pin, so when the pin lines up with the small lock hole the cam slot is pointing opposite the spindle cam.

THIS! "range of" orientation, actually. They have to be able to rotate just a tad as they are draw-up or released.

Confusion was 'coz the OP wrote it as if he was on about the chuck MOUNTING holes when he meant the rotation-limiter anchor screw holes were "on the wrong side".

Ebay "bargain" under 40 US$? Git yer drill and taps out.

D1-3 is PITA enuf if not rotation limited. D1-6 is too much like work to let 'em float.

New goods, $70 or more? JF send it back.

I had the same problem changing a D1-11 20” 4-jaw on a large Asian lathe. I removed the studs and machined out grooves on the opposite sides with a ball endmill and reinstalled the holding studs using the same lockdown screws in back of adapter. It works fine.

I had the same problem changing a D1-11 20” 4-jaw on a large Asian lathe. I removed the studs and machined out grooves on the opposite sides with a ball endmill and reinstalled the holding studs using the same lockdown screws in back of adapter. It works fine.

I could actually vote for them making the Metrifuckated plates AND studs & anchors bass-ackwards to reduce confusion. Stud body & camlocks, taper & flat at the spindle are otherwise identical.

Or meant to be!

:)

So far, none of my D1-3 or D1-4 ones have been reversed. Just [ US | metric ] stud threads and anchor screws.

Mark what diameter do you need? I've got a couple small d1-6 plates and would donate one to the cause if it'll work for you. Just cover mailing cost. That sucks that it's backwards!

Am I the odd man out here? All I see is that the studs are going to be off by half a turn, but it's not like the threads in either the plate or stud are timed. I usually end up moving the studs in or out a full turn from the indicator line scribed in the stud and they all fit fine. I don't see that starting half a turn in or out is going to make any difference.

Just looks funny is all, in my opinion.

Ah, ok, I'm officially a dumbass. The camlock notch isn't going to line up.

As Emily Latella said: "Never mind."

Back