What's new
What's new

D1-6 spindle wanted or at least full specs.

wgnrr1

Hot Rolled
I just bought a new lathe with a D1-11 spindle, and would like to still use my collet chucks that are D1-6. An adapter would be best so I can still use them on the other lathe.

Does anyone have a scrap spindle laying around or a full drawing of one so I can make it.

Ultimately I would like to make a couple of them to use on mills and angle plates. Just being able to change the chuck on a known plane would be awesome.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

I think up until the Chinese start ripping you off there could be a great product idea there and I am surprised it doesn't already exist.

How cool would it be to move your chuck from the lathe mount it on the mill table and or an indexing head? I had looked for just the same thing several years back and gave up on finding one. Even started rough machining a blank but then other projects came up and that one kind of died out and lost steam. Lots of guys rig up a 2nd chuck on the bed of their mill or rotary table but I think it would be a lot more effective to take the whole chuck right off the lathe direct to the mill.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Honestly never thought to look there. Thanks.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Actually, just looked myself to make sure and they seem to be conspicuously absent. Across all 5 of my MHs. The milling machine tapers are there but I couldn't find any lathe spindle tapers.

I checked my stash and I have a pdf with the info you need. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

You won't find them in the Machinery's Handbook. Locate you a copy of the ANSI Standard on machine tool tapers for Lathe spindles. Also found in a copy of the SME Tool Engineering Handbook. Ken

I would like to make a D1-6 adapter for my HBM and make an MT5 revolving tailstock chuck with a D1-6 mount.

I would like to make a D1-6 adapter for my HBM and make an MT5 revolving tailstock chuck with a D1-6 mount.

I made a couple of the revolving tailstock chuck ones, but mine were MT6. Much heavier than what's generally available. Kept having trouble with the weight of workpieces (~2,000 pounds) tilting the bearing carrier and getting wobble. The heavier versions fixed that right up.

As I understand it the specification was originally a slope, 1 1/2" per foot or 0.125 per inch with a unidirectional tolerance.

Working from the intersection makes sense in those terms given that undersize is not acceptable but a smidgin over is. Line and face or whole of taper being workable. Line on taper isn't because the taper is so shallow that its pretty much indistinguishable from a circular arc over small angles so it doesn't automatically pull up true.

Clive

Thanks - I always wondered what the tolerance was on these D camlock dimensions - being face and taper/dual contact etc.
Strange way to do it though - on the intersection?
I expected a +0/- something tolerance on the 7'7'30 taper and a gauge dimension.
:cheers:

That is a very basic identification guide. You can't make a nose from that info, it's not complete enough. The size and tolerance for a D1-6 for example at the theoretical reference point (where the angle meets the flat) of the big end of the taper is 4.188" +.0004"/ -0 IIRC. Angles aren't generally toleranced for whatever reason.

I made a couple of the revolving tailstock chuck ones, but mine were MT6. Much heavier than what's generally available. Kept having trouble with the weight of workpieces (~2,000 pounds) tilting the bearing carrier and getting wobble. The heavier versions fixed that right up.

Funny, I have a nice MT6 revolving setup with a 12" chuck on it. Bigger than what I need.

Not too difficult to do if you're an octopus. Takes a bit of Trig', or cheat on it in CAD.

In production, I'd imagine a master spindle and a gauge that registers off 3 balls, 2 face and taper, the 3rd on the face. And an indicator on the taper. Actually, probably 2 indicators to verify the taper angle.

If you can take it off the machine maybe a CMM would do the trick. But I'd think a good CNC lathe would do an adequate job for an adapter. I turned one down a bit on an import lathe, where none of the included chucks/faceplate would pull up to the face. And neither did the one for my lathe. Dialed in the compound and took a tiny pass. And eventually stoned it down until the chuck could be popped off by hand after locking it on.

So there's an alternate, pick your best backing plate and cut to fit. Set the compound angle by using XZ readings with an indicator over a longer length than the actual taper.

assy_spindle_measure.JPG

In the copy of the ANSI standard I have, 1960 vintage, it shows a micrometer mounted on a taper that matches the taper on the spindle nose. It registers on the face of the spindle nose and theoretically measures the diameter at the face of the nose. It is a two point measurement. Is it really the way to measure this? IDK. I would figure now days the ball measurement would be better but only if the taper is correct first. Actually, in both cases, the taper must be correct for the diameter measurement to come out correct and valid.

I've made two chuck adapters in years past; both were for chucks with a A-20 mount. The adapter mounted on a flat face spindle mount and on the other side was a A-20 nose. For the application, it did not have to be all that accurate if part of the tapered nose registered with the chuck taper. I used a pair of vernier calipers and got it within a couple of thousandths at the intersection of the face and the nose taper. it worked, no noticeable runout detected with the eyeball. I guess if those machines are still running those adapters are still being used. Have no ideal.

Back