What's new
What's new

DA100 collets for metric use

rolleikin

Plastic
I have a machine that takes DA100 collets. I have a good selection of imperial (standard) collets by 64th, but I do not have any metric ones. I was wondering how big is the range of each collet and whether I could accommodate metric bits in my standard sized ones, without creating unnecessary hazards.

Here are some sample sizes:

6mm bit is 6mm exactly. will it fit the 15/64" collet which is 5.953mm or will it fit 1/4" collet which is 6.350mm

8mm bit is 8mm exactly will it fit in 5/16" collet which is 7.937mm or will it fit the 21/64" collet which is 8.334mm

10mm bit is 10mm exaclty. will it fit the 25/64" collet which is 9.921mm or the 13/32" collet which is 10.318mm

My big question is (for example, using the 8mm size) whether there will be enough grip with the 21/64" collet or if I should try to use it only in the 5/16" collet?

Which is safer?

Push comes to shove, I will buy metric collets, but I would like to avoid that if the nearest fractional collet is adequate and safe.

I hate DA collets with a passion, but if you must use them and you can get the bits to fit, I'd try to use a smaller collet over a bigger one. Just be careful!

Is this all for drilling, or milling too?

Boeing got rid of them in the mid 1980s, they sold them by the pound at the Kent surplus store, I did buy a bunch of them, and still use them.
Everything has good and bad points, one good point of the Erickson DA collets is, they will grab a drill bit by the flutes, and run true doing so better then anything else, ease of closing, and under certain circumstances, can save considerable time. They do not have the side loading ability of the ER system, but often good enough for light milling.

Push comes to shove, I will buy metric collets, but I would like to avoid that if the nearest fractional collet is adequate and safe.

Not hard.

Set yerself up a spreadsheet, both US & Metric, then a column for the difference. Another for the acceptable bounds of the collapse range.

My recollection that generally shows up about 1/3 near-as-dammit the same, 1/3 good enough, 1/3 not so good.

So you COULD just keep a printout of the chart handy and fill-in with a handfull of metric?

So long as you have the spindle set up for it, might make more sense over enough years of nuisance-avoidance to just lay-in a full set of Metric and be done with any further fuss over it?

Also a few extras for the sizes you actually USE most, either race.

More of this-
"Not hard.

Set yerself up a spreadsheet, both US & Metric, then a column for the difference. Another for the acceptable bounds of the collapse range.

My recollection that generally shows up about 1/3 near-as-dammit the same, 1/3 good enough, 1/3 not so good.

So you COULD just keep a printout of the chart handy and fill-in with a handfull of metric?

So long as you have the spindle set up for it, might make more sense over enough years of nuisance-avoidance to just lay-in a full set of Metric and be done with any further fuss over it?

Also a few extras for the sizes you actually USE most, either.......... you have never used these collets, or probably any collets! Lets see some photos for once, instead of meaningless words. Termite! you make no sense!......spreadsheet?

More of this-
"Not hard.

Also a few extras for the sizes you actually USE most, either.......... you have never used these collets, or probably any collets! Lets see some photos for once, instead of meaningless words. Termite! you make no sense!......spreadsheet?

*yawn* Betwixt mills, lathes, drillpresses, grinders, power tools and such, I prolly harbour more collet types under roof than you have still-salvageable undershorts. Each has its good points, not so good, or "is here" mostly 'coz there are not a lot of choices that even FIT the available space, let alone WORK ... for any of many quite different spindles and job taskings.

And that's just the ones I OWN. Not "have used, somewhere, some time".

BEE EFF DEE Collets are all around us.

We ALL have more than "just the one type". All of us.

Anybody ever tell yah yer odd mental affliction is gettin' kinda TEDIOUS?

'Coz it is. Again.

Go take a nap.

I also have a machine that uses small, uncommon collets. I simply made an ER-11 collet holder for it and purchased the closing nut. The ERs each cover a 1mm range and they come in 1mm increments. So ALL inch and metric sizes up to a bit over 1/4" will be a correct fit.

IIRC, I made that collet holder from 4140, pre-hardened.

Time was, I thought I could never afford a single set of collets. Now I have three and can think of reasons to have more.

I also have a machine that uses small, uncommon collets. I simply made an ER-11 collet holder for it and purchased the closing nut. The ERs each cover a 1mm range and they come in 1mm increments. So ALL inch and metric sizes up to a bit over 1/4" will be a correct fit.

IIRC, I made that collet holder from 4140, pre-hardened.

I have at least ONE collet for most every spindle, "native" 40-taper, B&S #9 even "spring" split #4 & #5 MT included - that will hold a straight-shank ER 40, ER 20, Chandler-Duplex boring head, Precise jig grinder, annular cutter shank, etc, etc, etc.

"Problem solvers" those are.

ONE set of collets, each, and any machine in need can use the goods.

Otherwise, each machine is equipped with whatever was "majority-use" for whatever it was and is. Just not worth fighting the OEM's idea of a "design win". They worked OK. Life is too short arredy.

By the time yah have a router, laminate trimmer, engraving head, die grinder?

Yah have several collet types and are still just dealing with HAND power tools.

Add proper machine-tools, and I don't see any way around not having "several" more families of collets.

So we JFDWT and "get some".

" *yawn* Betwixt mills, lathes, drillpresses, grinders, power tools and such, I prolly harbour more collet types under roof than you have still-salvageable undershorts. Each has its good points, not so good, or "is here" mostly 'coz there are not a lot of choices that even FIT the available space, let alone WORK ... for any of many quite different spindles and job taskings.

Yah! Termite daz machinitz duts neva wuzz!

So, termite, tell us, about the subject "double angle collets"! Without the drunk hick in the barn talk for once!

Back