Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    I am trying wrap up my fixing up machine tools, and get back to making things, but I would probably fall for one of those because of the departure from the sometimes boring normal design.
    I will watch, if you want to show it, it looks like fun to me.
    Ok. I will see what I can do. It is difficult filming in a multiperson shop, always tons of noise in the background. But at my own place, not an issue. I intend to invest in better camera gear this year anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    Normally I wouldn't comment, but I think that is a machine definitely worth saving. Unless you find something that is a huge deal breaker, it is worthy of a restoration. So many interesting features... I like it. I see the condition of the threading plaques, etc are very good, which usually is a indicator in how much use or abuse it has suffered, and the prognosis is good.
    Thanks for the opinions. Unfortunately I know some of it's past operators and they are not kind to machinery. They don't oil machines as it can soak into their graphite, and they also polished ceramics (like zirconia) on this machine. The ways definitely have some wear. It's visible on the inside of the front V way near the headstock. The compound is probably fucked. But it's a whole lot tighter than my Sidney, and I make good parts on that all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont worry about doing videos, they are great for an overall look at a machine, Photos should work really well on the details.
    The chemical staining might fade after time, like stains from cutting fluid that was banned years ago.
    This machine appears full featured, looks like a joy stick for rapids, and two speed tailstock.
    Looking at the 1940s lathe I am only cleaning years of cutting oil off of, and this machine is radical.
    I think the machine is interesting, it is unusual to say the least.
    I tend to wimp out on fixing lathes, the other machines are easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mentioned lathes.co.uk...... Tony says he has a manual for the Ikegai version, which given the appearance, might be a good reference for the mechanical bits in the various gearboxes etc. I suspect the electricals would be totally different.

Of course, I have no idea how different they really are, but the outside appearance is so similar that they almost have to be the same machine, just made in Korea (I assume). I think there was a good deal of that transfer as Japanese firms changed focus and basically licensed the Korean companies to make the same product.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started in on this lathe mid last week. Some slight damage from sitting and pressure washing, but it is cleaning up very well. So far the good news is all good, and the bad news is extremely minimal.

Good:
    • Compound probably just needed the gib adjusted. It was out of place.
    • Cross-slide screw shows little to no wear.
    • Taper attachment is perfect so far.
    • Oil in headstock was golden yellow.
    • Headstock was very clean overall. Minimal dirt, minimal metal shavings, no rust.
    • Bijur pump in apron works.
    • No belted high speed like on the Ikegai.
    • No obviously broken parts.

Bad:
    • Still nasty
    • Operators were mean to the bull gear, wore some metal off on the engagement.
    • QCGB issues not immediately apparent.

So far so good, I'll keep going.

The pics from the headstock are as received. No cleaning done in there.

I did shoot some video.

DAEWOO A20 Lathe Pt: 2, Prognosis and Disassembly - YouTube

It is less work with my new camera. I'll get better about making sure I don't miss anything and improving the lighting. Photos are a pain in the ass as I constantly have to clean my hands. I'll take more when doing repair and reassembly. For now it's like I'm working in a septic tank, and I don't have enough gloves to change them every 2 minutes. :( Additionally, I strongly dislike PM nuking my photo quality which discourages me from hosting them here. I need to get a personal site up and running.

5. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of that damage that appears on the bull gear is the way the factory bevels or chamfers the edges that is supposed to allow the gear teeth to easily engage. Looks like you got a gem there! Ken

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Some of that damage that appears on the bull gear is the way the factory bevels or chamfers the edges that is supposed to allow the gear teeth to easily engage. Looks like you got a gem there! Ken

Thank you Ken.

Yes, I'd suspect some factory beveling. I saved a more zoomed in photo and you can see some serious mushrooming, deformation, and sheared off material. It was undoubtedly shifted while spinning down.

8. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

glad to see that you're back at it, I was wondering if it was all work and no play now you have a job Is that an adjustable oil manifold in the headstock? That's pretty cool if so, I could do with one of those...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    glad to see that you're back at it, I was wondering if it was all work and no play now you have a job Is that an adjustable oil manifold in the headstock? That's pretty cool if so, I could do with one of those...

I guess so. I'm gonna leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good call on the high speed belt, I thought a20 and daewoo a20 were the same hs setup back when. Fwiw, i’ve got a mint condition mimik tracing attachment that came off my a20 but I have no need of if you’re interested let me know

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    Good call on the high speed belt, I thought a20 and daewoo a20 were the same hs setup back when. Fwiw, i’ve got a mint condition mimik tracing attachment that came off my a20 but I have no need of if you’re interested let me know

I thought so too. But switching from the 1.75" spindle bore on the Ikegai to the 3" probably required entirely different gears, bearings, everything. So I assume they just dumped it while they were in there and went for a gear.

Tracing attachment? Maybe. It mounts on in place of the compound? I can't imagine myself ever doing tracing with how many CNCs are around.