What's new
What's new

Danfoss hydraulic orbital motor

JoshNZ

Aluminum
I've got a few danfoss oms 80 motors, geroler type. I came into one cheap from a guy who had a bunch more so I bought 3 of them thinking they'd be handy.

Have come to a project needing a motor so I plumbed one up today on the bench and didn't realise what I was looking at until seeing the output shaft (or what is actually a drive link?) wobble around.

Either the motors I've got are missing the output housing/assembly or the model is specific to a piece of machinery where it couples. I'm wondering if the collective knowledge here might know of what goes on the end of these. Short of making a housing and supporting a shaft with bearings and a seal (which I won't..) it seems like they're junk to me. Am I missing anything?

Other question is can this drive link be driven to make a pump or should I not bark up that tree.

https://youtu.be/GXQ-FRcwRtc

Output shaft is missing. What you see is known as the 'drive link' or ‘dog bone’. I wouldn’t be surprised that those motors got shelved when the seal on the output shaft started leaking, and somebody set about to replace said leaking seal and discovered that the output shaft had a groove worn in it from the seal. Then had sticker shock when they found out what a replacement output shaft cost and said “screw it, for that kind of money I’ll get me a whole new motor”. BTDT.

Cheap is half scrap price.....these types of motors have large areas of short leakage paths,consequently small wear of the rollers and housing results in complete fail of the motor as soon as the oil heats up ,loses viscosity.......Expensive hydrostatics have long ,small areas of leakage paths,resulting in long service life...your motor is a throw away part,replace with new....or replace with a longer life motor,such as a radial or axial piston.

Thanks for the responses.

Would have been sensible to throw it in the bin but I couldn't leave it at that x(.

I ended up using one of the other motors to make a shaft and output housing. Wasted a couple of evenings down a rabbit hole but I think I've got a pretty sound unit now (albeit with reduced torque due to the welded shaft).

20210920-210518.jpg

20210920-212607.jpg

20210918-200134.jpg

20210921-013147.jpg

20210921-013926.jpg

Video-Capture-20210921-094913.jpg

Back