What's new
What's new

Darex Drill Grinder

Toms Wheels

Titanium
The SP2500 works great for split point drills. It appears that a different angled wheel and cams are needed to do 118 S point drills. Has any worked up a jig to mount that would bypass having to buy a wheel and cams $1000+.

It could be cheaper to buy a sp2000, but more space and all...

Ideas that worked.

What is an S point drill?

I have an SP2500 and have both wheels. I use it mostly for 118 degree drill points. To change point angles It is not necessary to change any cam just the grinding wheel. FYI the wheels show up on ebay now and then for good prices. Also, they can be replated with new CBN for about 1/3 of new price of the wheel.

No, an S point has a special contour that gives a selfcentering action. The chisel point is raised from the main edges, kind of like a wood drill, but it's blended. They were the Next Big Thing when I saw the grinder demonstrated 45 years ago but you don't hear of it these days.

Thanks for everyones responses. Looking at Darex parts list it shows different cams for split point and S point, which is really what most drills look like in not a split point.

So I will be looking for a 118 degree wheel.

I don't know if you called Darex about this or not. I think when I called them and inquired about parts for this grinder they said that all they still sold were the wheels. Kind-of screwy in my opinion. But I guess that is about all that I might need anyway.

No, an S point has a special contour that gives a selfcentering action. The chisel point is raised from the main edges, kind of like a wood drill, but it's blended. They were the Next Big Thing when I saw the grinder demonstrated 45 years ago but you don't hear of it these days.

Same as "Oliver" sharpener do?
How to Sharpen a Drill : Oliver of Adrian

Sort of "airplane propeller" sharpening. Only drills with sharpening like that I'm aware are Swedish Wedevåg drills.

The old "Cincinnati spiropoint" grinders produce a similar drill point like the Oliver. These work very well to reduce drill wander and produce very accurate holes.

Back