What's new
What's new

Darex Radius Attachment Dissassembly

dcash

Plastic
Just picked up a brand new Darex E90 with radius attachment (like still in cosmoline new!:D) The spindle for the radius attachment was froze up from sitting for decades. I got it freed up and turning but it feels a little rough and I'd like to clean, lube and/or replace the bearings. Anyone know the trick for disassembly? I thus far haven't been able to find an exploded view for this part. There is a small set screw concealed in the side of the spindle but removing it didn't help. Just thought I'd ask before heading for the press so I know which direction to go. Could there be two halves that thread together to set end play?

Thanks, Dave.

Call Darex and talk to them.

Well....DUH!:dopeslap:

The reason I didn't "Call Darex and talk to them" is because I work from 6:30 to 5:00 six days a week and unfortunatly don't have access to a phone.

I did send an email to Darex to which they responded with several PDF files (Thank you to "Lorelei Frye Wiltrout" @ Darex Industrial for trying!)

Unfortunately the information doesn't show how the collet holder (graduated rotating spindle)is retained in the spindle housing, or type of bearings used. Parts that are not normally opened up during normal use?
After cleaning and freeing up as best I can it sounds like some scritchy ball bearings involved, and evidence of fretting stains leaking out.

I jus' figgered that at some point someone might have had one of these rascals apart.

Parts are no longer available and I don't have the free time to waste making new ones, if I can avoid it.

Thanks to all who viewed my post, and a big thanks to you Met-Mag for taking the time to state the obvious:Ithankyou:

Guess it's "Hammer-time"!

Good day!
Dave.

Update: A poster on another website sez this this unit uses "either two or three rows of loose ball bearings depending on the model", but no insight as to how it comes apart (or how they knew about the bearings).
What is really surprising is even Darex doesn't seem to know.
I was told this tool was kind of a flop (from other posts), but I would like to salvage what I can for use in my shop, as I don't need super precision, just need to touch up some old cutters for roughing work.
I have polished some turds in the past and turned them into usable machines.
I have used an E90 for regular end mills and for the money it worked pretty well.
Nobody knows what the inside of this thing looks like?:confused::confused:
Dave.

There is an answer on the other site that says to leave the allen key in for leverage and twist the opposite end to unscrew.

Photo of attachment as well showing the parts.

Darex E90 radius attachment disassembly

It looks like I may have wasted my time posting that information for him as he hasn't been back.

Nope, just been horribly busy and didn't see the post on the other site. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it!:Ithankyou:
(further response on other site)

Dave

Back