What's new
What's new

Dark chocolate brown pheonolic

RJT

Titanium
All my vendors cant come close to this color, this sample came from Europe. My customer wants a close color match so there is a seamless transition to a domestic supplier. All I can find is a lighter tan color. Anybody know where I can get a better match?
IMG_20210310_125858995.jpg

A word of caution, check the grade of Phenolic is what you have been told it is / should be, .........IME there are a lot of varieties of Phonolic out there some grades affecting the colour, .and its not unknown for folk to change the grade without telling anyone - etc etc

Might just be a crapshoot. I've gotten phenolic that's a dark burgundy red (looks kinda like what you have) and I've gotten some that's a light tan.

Even google images shows a variety of colors.

I always assumed they were different grades. At one of my last jobs we cut a lot of the light tan stuff, and occasionally ran another job that was thinner and dark brown.

I remember thinking the dark brown cut better and was less likely to fray and delaminate, but I guess that might have just been in my head.

There's canvas, linen and paper phenolics. I found some that looks dark brown called Tufnol, but it seems it's only available in UK.
Maybe that's what you have?

RJT,
I have some Micarta (Phenolic) 1-1/2" thick. Not that dark, more of a redish/brown color. For Sale at .33 per square inch. I usually cut to fit USPS Flat Rate Boxes. I'm told you can stain it to match your sample but I never tried that. Several pics, mine is either canvas or linen grade. I will custom cut.
spaeth
DSCN2950.jpgDSCN2914.jpgDSCN3137.jpgDSCN3138.jpg

Milk Chocolate and there is Bitter Sweet Phenolic.
I can see your phenolic, your couch, and your shoes. But we cannot see the edge. Edge tells a lot. At the very basic product you have a phenolic resin treated paper that is pressed together with a lot of heat at around 3300 PSI. Do you have a Formica (formerly Micarta, or FOR MICA) counter top? Same thing. The top and bottom sheets of industrial phenolic have the colored paper for industrial stuff. You could look for a paper based product with trade name Trespa, Netherlands? Micarta, Wilsonart, Pioneer all make paper based sheets from 1/32" up to 1" thick. Anything thicker than 1/16 is a custom order, but usually a 2 sheet min. Pioneer even makes bowling alleys from it. Those companies will press the stuff with any of their stock sheet colors or patterns with a small min number of sheets. And you can get it in Lab grade chem resistance too. Not sure if grades with linen or canvas are supplied by those sources. I think Micarta may have those grades.

... I'm told you can stain it to match your sample but I never tried that....

Not sure about that either as it seems the absorbency would be very low, but i do know that applying oil to cut edges and surfaces darkens it and visually brings out the grain and structure, similar to wood. Makes it look great, really.

The Tufnol company in UK do the whole range as has been mentioned, the different grades are based on the reinforcement used and it’s orientation, with flat sheet you can have paper or linen with variable density. The best grade in sheet is ‘Whale’, I use this for hobbed gears. Beware, it is very abrasive and needs hard tooling or they will wear quickly.
Tufnol will help with all advice on material and machining.
Peter

Back