What's new
What's new

dating troyke rotary table

Raul McCai

Aluminum
I just scored a troyke 15" toin-a-rounda table for dirt cheap

It's blisteringly heavy I ordered a chain fall to lift it. My heavy come along didn't like it.

Out of vanity, I'd like to know how old it is. do the lot & model numbers help with that?

They made some models for decades. However, I've just bought a 9" that isn't in an early 1970's catalog, so there was some product line turnover. If you can find a model number, that will certainly narrow things down somewhat.

I bought a 15" troyke earlier this year. Had to weigh it for giggles- note that the scale has 100 pound line crossed. 184 pounds. I decided to install a track over my two mills rather than attempt to lift that badboy. Way heavier than the Gorton that it replaced.

troyke-scale - 1.jpg

Placing a date of manufacture on some tooling can be difficult. Dating machinery can usually be done by finding online sales brochures. Tooling can be more difficult in that models change quite frequently and have little if any documentation. I've had similar problems trying to find the date of manufacture for a 12" Index rotary table. The table is prior to the Wells company purchasing Index in 1971, so it has to have been built between 1938 and 1971. So far I've only found one other similar example at a used equipment dealer, and they weren't able to date the one they had.

Here's a link to a Troyke sales brochure from 1978. It might be of some assistance if you can find the model number on yours:

https://www.sterlingmachinery.com/media/brochures1/file/Troyke-Rotary-Tables-General-Brochure.pdf

Back