What's new
What's new

Could use some advice quill is stuck in the bed mill head

Uguessedit

Aluminum
Spindle Bearings went out on my Atrump bed mill. I am trying to pull the spindle to get the bearings replaced and without dropping the spindle or quill feed the upper pulleys can’t be removed. I’ve taken the auto down feed apart, the fine feed and entire quill mechanism. Resting the spindle on a board I loosened the quill lock and lifted and the housing appears to be stuck or frozen inside the casting. With everything removed it doesn’t budge. The machine is somewhat new to me and I knew that the quill wasn’t working after they delivered it and I installed a handle to use it. Did a thorough inspection to find out now it is seized. The dealer who sold it to me is paying for all the parts but it appears I am stuck doing the labor despite assured everything worked and trusting them as the machine was already boarded up and strapped down when I went to look at it. A good argument to never buy a machine you cannot are running. If you can trust the local dealer great. Anyways I need suggestions what to do to get it unfrozen? I’ve already tried a heavy rubber dead blow and it didn’t budge it.

Well I got it loose. I found that someone jammed a circular piece of sheet metal to take up the space between spindle and casting. Apparently something is worn out. Looks like I have much bigger issues at this point.

If that mill is anything like a Bridgeport the someone was the factory for the sheet metal piece! It is a chip guard to keep out chips etc. when the spindle is close to fully extended. Or was the sheet around the OD of the quill [spindle]? If so you DO have a problem. Spindle is the rotating part inside the movable quill.

Back