Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dayton Lathe 36"

Hi all, new to the forum. I am shopping around for my first lathe. I may have a lead on a Dayton 12x36" I was hoping that someone could give me some insight. I can't find much information on the lathe. It appears Grainger sells them. Anyone have experience with these?
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chinese junk! Or is it a wood lathe?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dayton is a "house brand" name found on some Grainger products. The lathe is likely imported from China and would be similar to ones with other brand names on them. So assume low quality and, if not brand new, probably not in great shape. Actually, it might need lots of work even if new.

I bought a new Jet brand 12 x 36 lathe that was made in Taiwan. The cost was around $3000. It looked pretty good when I got it out of the crate. I had to take it partly apart to get it in my shop. Everything I took off exposed horrible workmanship, so that I had to do a partial rebuild before putting it back together. Jet has managed to stay in business, and I see Grainger sells some lathes with the Jet brand along with their Dayton brand lathes.

Larry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So would it be similar to a precision matthews? Are most chinese lathes very similar?
    I am not sold on this lathe, I am still looking for used american, but having a tough time and the ones I do find either need a lot of work (not best option for a beginner) or are way out of my range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep most of the Chinese lathes are very similar,main difference is some are gear heads or change belt for speed changes. Even seen quality differences in the same exact machine from the same supplier ,Monday-Friday builds? Taiwan built ones are usually a bit better quailty wise. I have a 12X36 gear head for the last 15 years no issues -lucky ?? Also have a Clausing 12X36 and have had Logan-SB also in that time frame.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by agshooter View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum. I am shopping around for my first lathe. I may have a lead on a Dayton 12x36" I was hoping that someone could give me some insight. I can't find much information on the lathe. It appears Grainger sells them. Anyone have experience with these?
    Thank you.
    "Dayton" came from a motor-maker W. W.Grainger bought about a thousand years ago.

Then they hung the "Dayton" name on anything they could - possible exception a fart in a windstorm. Too hard to catch.

About 50 years ago ISTR they were selling Logan lathes, but still Logan branded?
    Montgomery-Ward also sold Logans. Far the better machine than the @las Sears-Woebuck carried.

Decent light lathes, Logans, but "light" they were and are.

Present-day lathes they offer are identified as "Jet-Elite". Do your own due diligence on those.