What's new
What's new

De burr thin stainless steel plates

choppero

Plastic
I have to deburr and polish the face of 2 x 2 316 stainless steel plates .023 thick. My vibratory tub style polisher is my choice. Would aluminum oxide blast media work dry? I also have ceramic triangles. Wet or dry?

I have to deburr and polish the face of 2 x 2 316 stainless steel plates .023 thick. My vibratory tub style polisher is my choice. Would aluminum oxide blast media work dry? I also have ceramic triangles. Wet or dry?

Ceramic and wet. put it wont polish persay.
I would hit it with scotch brite on jitter bug 1st then toss it in the tumbler, if thats not the finish you want 320 paper wet.

The stainless will just eat the plastic up.
I havent tried the ceramic round balls yet, they say those are fantastic for polish. but then again what people concidered polish and 2 what degree is the question.

The downside of wet tumbling of thin plates is that they love to stick together, making for irregular (or no) cleaning/polishing action on the inside surfaces. Dry won't do this, but can make polishing more tricky.

I would talk to one of the major media suppliers, you might find that a dry corncob with polishing compound additives is a good way to go, at least after a more aggressive tumbling with ceramic media to remove burrs and sharp edges.

No on the aluminum oxide. Wet with the ceramic triangles would deburr, but depending on the composition, not polish. Your part is not easy .023 thick is like feeler gages.

Back