What's new
What's new

Dead center is ALIVE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Eye

Plastic
I am new to this hobby. I understood that the dead center in the tail stock was not supposed to rotate. Mine seems to have a bearing and rotates very smoothly. Is this a problem ?

I am new to this hobby. I understood that the dead center in the tail stock was not supposed to rotate. Mine seems to have a bearing and rotates very smoothly. Is this a problem ?
Dead centers should not rotate!

Please remove that defective center immediately and send it to me for proper disposal.

While it appears that 'dead' plays an important role in your status, one might suggest that one contemplate the terms 'dead center' and 'live center'. Afterwards, one might endeavour to associate these terms as appropriate with one's tooling.

What you have there is a live center.

And as others have suggested, get thee over to

The Hobby-Machinist

You will receive more help and less ridicule.
This forum is geared to professionals in the trade.

Are you saying it is fine if the dead center rotates ?

If it is truly a dead center and it rotates there is a serious problem with the taper socket. Either the tail stock is so worn the center won't seat properly or the center is undersize, damaged, or the wrong taper.

PS: Did you grease the point where it engages the work? Proper operation requires low friction at the point, higher friction (enough to "seat" it) at the taper.

There is one other thing that can cause a dead center to rotate. If he does not have the tailstock extended enough, the tailstock feed screw will start to eject the dead center and it will rotate. I've done this myself trying to extend the center as little as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back