What's new
What's new

Dealer misquoted shipping on machine I bought, by $600.... what would you do ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Bridgeport size 2 axis CNC mill, paid $7,600, shipping from Idaho quoted at $1,350. Now, two months after paying they finally have a truck but truck company wants $1,950 !

I put in writing on emailed PO, when I bought the thing, price $7,600 and assuming no more than $1,350 for shipping.

Truck company says my salesman gave them the wrong zip code, thus the $1,350 quote. My email to sales was something to the effect of you guys make it happen at $1,350 shipping or refund my $7,600 and we'll call it a day.

Sales goes into hiding...no responses to my latest emails, sent twice over two days.

I know his take on this is something like "well, we can't control the shipping cost".....to which my take is I wouldn't have bought the thing in the first place if I had known the shipping quote was meaningless.

Thoughts ?

He has probably already shipped it and you are expected to pay the driver for the shipping cost. That’s the way they’ve done me in the past

He has probably already shipped it and you are expected to pay the driver for the shipping cost. That’s the way they’ve done me in the past
Unlikely in this case as the ship company wanted payment in advance (with CC or bank wire) before they'd even pick it up.

Wow...I can see 10 or 20 percent but that's a 50% mistake. If we make a mistake on a quote - we eat it (and we have). I don't know what avenues are left for you at this point since you are quite a distance removed but I would stick with it until you get some kind of satisfaction.

If the salesman won’t return you emails, maybe you should try contacting someone that he answers to

If the salesman won’t return you emails, maybe you should try contacting someone that he answers to
To clarify, at this point I don't yet need info on "how to get action" techiques but just curious if most of you think the dealer should eat the excess ship cost or not, before I go medieval on this guy...

To clarify, at this point I don't yet need info on "how to get action" techiques but just curious if most of you think the dealer should eat the excess ship cost or not, before I go medieval on this guy...

Yes they should eat it!

After waiting two months they are lucky you still want the machine and have not bought a different one by now. they should eat the extra as payment for the delay.
Bill D

I'm no law dog, but in this day and age one would think that acting upon the conditions agreed to in a written and received email, would constitute agreement ( and thus, adherence ) to them. Thus, they are obligated to take it in the hind quarters on this one.

I have screwed up before, and when it was my fault I have eaten a $250.00 overnight shipping fee. I don't see how this is any different.

They asked for payment before they picked it up? well it sounds like that should be it. They agreed and should stand by it.Sounds like a hostage situation if its still on the truck.

2nd on quote vs estimate

if a quote then they eat it

an estimate, make a decision whether you still want it at the higher price.

"Gone Quiet" = searching around for another "Less problematic" buyer of said machine.

You Carolina people sure are nit pickers....:D

2nd on quote vs estimate

if a quote then they eat it

an estimate, make a decision whether you still want it at the higher price.
my PO with $1,350 max ship cost is in writing but the shipping was verbal , with salesman saying specifically “the QUOTE for shipping is $1,350”. The verbal aspect is why I put it in writing on my PO.

My CNC lathe was shipped to the rigger. They agreed on a 1pm unload. The rigger was nowhere to be found on Friday afternoon. The driver wanted to do a turn and burn back to Washington with a different load.

Rigger finally showed at 5pm. Truck driver said it cost the company a load and wanted to jack the shipping from $900 to $1800 to cover his missed load. Shipper called me to "cover" it. I told them all to go to hell and get it sorted out. They negotiated some smaller amount and the rigger covered it.

He who makes the mistake pays the price.

[QUOTE

You Carolina people sure are nit pickers....:D[/QUOTE]

No, it's that we S.C. people, perhaps foolishly, still believe a man's word is his bond. That's the way it used to be.

All the facts are on your side.
Are you going to thump the facts, the law, or the table ?

Most-probably the seller will cave and pay the difference, if you shake the tree.
But do You want to ?

Or not want to, if anyone can tack on anything after a deal, well ...

Also, for 600$, how much aggro is worth it ?
The principle as such is worth anything.
But as I see it the seller stole nothing, just made a mistake. Their responsibility. Totally.
In one single case, a solution might or might not be right.

I would call the company owner, amiably.
Explain the issue, amiably.
Then see what happens.

You have reasonable documented proof for a chamber of commerce complaint.
If you then call the owner, twice, with the second call being about the complaint.
Only an eejit fights a 600$ issue in public.

Bridgeport size 2 axis CNC mill, paid $7,600, shipping from Idaho quoted at $1,350. Now, two months after paying they finally have a truck but truck company wants $1,950 !

I put in writing on emailed PO, when I bought the thing, price $7,600 and assuming no more than $1,350 for shipping.

Truck company says my salesman gave them the wrong zip code, thus the $1,350 quote. My email to sales was something to the effect of you guys make it happen at $1,350 shipping or refund my $7,600 and we'll call it a day.

Thoughts ?

I'm not getting the zip code thing. I believe all SC codes start with 29 so even if the code wasn't given correctly the address should have been enough to give an accurate shipping estimate from Idaho or wherever it was sent from.

I'm sure your PO gave the zip code.

I wouldn't pay the $600.

Back